E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #21
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
I would get it towed out. If towing is free then why risk the expense of over heating your car, crashing it because your PS/power brakes won't be working.

Edit: I must be tired, I missed the bit about the tow truck not being able to get to you.

Last edited by zander271; 08-31-2012 at 04:04 PM.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #22
Press22

My Ride: 01 325ci
Push it out of the garage, tow it, don't try driving it
Press22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #23
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
If you can gather one more person, push it out of there in neutral slowly.
Since you wont have power steering and power brakes, SLOWLY is the keyword. Make use of the handbrake.

And Check the transmission fluid after you roll it on neutral. You might need to top it up or flush.
Our cars are not supposed to roll in neutral.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #24
IrunBimmer

My Ride: 323i
Power steering won't work yes but be a man and use your muscles. Ebrake will work fine
IrunBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #25
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Somebody already mentioned the godawful heavy steering with no PS. Don't forget you'll also have no vacuum boost on the brakes. Once you get it rolling down the ramp, it's going to be VERY HARD TO TURN AND STOP.
Why no power brakes? They would still work with the engine running.

No water pump and no PS as others have mentioned.
I drove more than fifteen miles after my alternator kicked. Battery will get you far.

If it were me, I'd do it and think you'd have no problem if you did this when there was no other traffic around. If you have to stop for any reason, kill the engine immediately.
I drove my old car a few miles at a time slowly with no water pump. Then pull over and wait fifteen minutes to cool.
Run the engine as little as possible.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #26
Wolrab

My Ride: 330Ci MT, 545i SMG
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolrab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Why no power brakes? They would still work with the engine running.
The whole discussion is about running the motor with no belt. Consensus seems to be HELL NO, so he won't have vacuum.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #27
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
Push it to the ramp. Start it, go down the ramp. Turn it off. Push it to the next ramp, wait for a long time for it to cool, start it, drive it down the ramp. Turn it off. That's the best I've got. If it were my car I think I would leave it and come back with the tools later - even renting a car for a week if I couldn't find the tools locally.
Danoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #28
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
OP,
If you are in a parking spot AND can leave it overnight without it being towed away for illegal parking, then I strongly suggest you leave it and go get your hands on the proper tool and new belt.

Also, I suggest you double check ALL your pulleys to make sure they are not damaged/nicked/MISSING cause they would shred/snap another serpentine. (Which would defeat the purpose of getting a new belt.)

WARNING:
You're vehicle will begin to overheat in about < 7 minutes once you have it in drive. So, set your hidden OBC code to actual temperature.. And, if you attempt to drive it out of that parking spot, you better make sure you can handle the turning and stopping going down the ramps of those three floors, Safely.
Hopefully, you won't come up with some idiot tailgating you to get you to hurry on out of their way in your condition.

Last edited by BimmersGarage; 08-31-2012 at 05:08 PM.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #29
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
You'd be driving a short distance, so you know, without cooling and without Power steering...and without an alternator.
The cooling is what will hurt you...the alt will stop you.
Remove the remnants of the belt, monitor the temp and don't let it get to warm even, if you can avoid it.
If you're careful, I give you 'my' permission to drive down the three levels of parking garage...and then turn it off immediately. You don't have any cooling at all...so that's the danger. You've got a minute, as the coolant isn't circulating, the temp on the gauge is not reflective of the real temp in the engine.
Very short drive...use engine braking to go down so fuel is cut off in cylinders...and heat won't build up so fast.
I think you can make it...but don't hate me if you don't!
You know, you could start it and turn it off while you're rolling down hill, though you wouldn't have power brakes--they'll work...but be very hard to operate.
agreed. if the car engine is not already hot you will be fine for the 1-2 mins.

my first choice would be push the car (or let coast down) using caution on the lack of power steering. and keep all accessories off that you can.

*if i HAD to drive with the belt off for any length of time and wanted to protect the engine i would run the heater. better the battery drain than the heat gasket blown. neither are good choices though
Old 08-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #30
bigloser

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Assuming your car is in Annapolis, if you can wait until Sunday, I could help you change it out if you can get a new belt. I don't have the special tool, but I do have a 32mm wrench and a 5-lbs maul, and I have done this job before. Interestingly enough, the one time I've seen a dealer tech remove an engine fan, that was the method he used.

1984 318i - Dead
1998 328is - Sold
2004 330i ZHP - I think I'm in love
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:48 PM   #31
GDA

My Ride: M5, 325i and 330i
run it from floor to floor in the flats and kill the motor while going down the ramps and use the e brake/brakes you should be easily able to get it down three floors without the motor even getting up to temp
GDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #32
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
You certainly can.

The question you should be asking, though, is "Should I?"
Old 08-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #33
djlakay

My Ride: 2003 330i Sport
Push it down, same thing happened to me had to replace the head. What ever you do don't drive without the belt. Get a mechanic to install the belt on site or push it down the ramp.
My belt snapped on the highway a year ago I thought is was a coolant issue until the engine started knocking, save yourself the headache.http://https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.ne...79432114_n.jpg
djlakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #34
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
every e46 auto owner should have this
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #35
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
No..

I think most posts above miss the point. It's not how hot the engine gets that will kill you, but how evenly the engine heats up.. When the engine is started cold, the coolant circulation is not meant to cool the engine but distribute heat so that the engine warms up evenly. Without the water pump running, your temp. sensor may not report a high temp on the gage, but that's not the point.. The uneven heating (really really hot at the bores, but really really cold on the outside, front and rear faces) will cause uneven thermal expansion on the head and block and will likely cause head the head bolts to fail. Not to mention warpage...

So don't do it, just find a way to roll the car out of the parking lot. Get the tow truck driver to help you push the car for extra $$$. If it's a manual car, you can push it and use your transmission to slow the car down. If it's an automatic, use the e-brake and be prepared to throw it into park quickly if needed.

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #36
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
As Bigloser said, if you're in Annapolis or near it, I would be willing to help too. I don't have the clutch fan tool, but I have a friend who does and I'm sure he'd let me borrow it.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #37
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
You won't have any power steering, but the short answer to your questiion is, yes.

Drive it to the exit ramp and shut the engine off and coast to the ground floor. It will be a bitch to steer, but not impossible.

You won't have power brakes either.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #38
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammk View Post
No..

I think most posts above miss the point. It's not how hot the engine gets that will kill you, but how evenly the engine heats up.. When the engine is started cold, the coolant circulation is not meant to cool the engine but distribute heat so that the engine warms up evenly. Without the water pump running, your temp. sensor may not report a high temp on the gage, but that's not the point.. The uneven heating (really really hot at the bores, but really really cold on the outside, front and rear faces) will cause uneven thermal expansion on the head and block and will likely cause head the head bolts to fail. Not to mention warpage...

So don't do it, just find a way to roll the car out of the parking lot. Get the tow truck driver to help you push the car for extra $$$. If it's a manual car, you can push it and use your transmission to slow the car down. If it's an automatic, use the e-brake and be prepared to throw it into park quickly if needed.
Throw a moving car into Park? Seriously? That's a very bad idea. Very bad.

Roll the car down the driveway and be ready for brakes that resist your efforts to apply them. DO NOT PUT THE CAR INTO PARK else the transmission will be destroyed (well, not all of the transmission, just the part that makes it Park) and it still isn't gonna stop.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #39
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Throw a moving car into Park? Seriously? That's a very bad idea. Very bad.

Roll the car down the driveway and be ready for brakes that resist your efforts to apply them. DO NOT PUT THE CAR INTO PARK else the transmission will be destroyed (well, not all of the transmission, just the part that makes it Park) and it still isn't gonna stop.
Use the e-brake first and then put the car in Park. To prevent the car from taking off. 'That part that makes it Park' is called the Parking Pawl. If you're stopped or slow enough, close to stopping, the Pawl will be fine. No one's asking him to throw it into Park at 40 mph!

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #40
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
OP, most likely you won't find the specific tool tonight... get a long 36mm wrench and a hammer, put it on the fan bolt, and give it a nice short wack to the right... it shoule come loose. Try it a few times if it doesn't work the first time.... it will release eventually. Change the belt and don't gamble.
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote