E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
Streak removal help!

I have some nasty streaks on my windshield probably from worn out wipers. I tried windex, soap water and a blade and got nothing. I even used oxy clean. How to get this off? This is all from Poo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1346205740186.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	466677   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1346205751664.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	466678  

I used to be an e46 owner. I love this one more.

zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:04 AM   #2
TOGWT

My Ride: Jaguar XKE
Once the glass surface has been washed and cleaned (detailers clay) any minor imperfections can be removed with an abrasive glass polish (CarPro CeriGlass, Autoglym Car Class Polish or Zaino Z-12 Clear-View Glass Polish) Removes "light" scratches, acid water spots, bird and bug stains, including alkaline mineral deposits, and then smoothes out etched glass

If you can catch your fingernail in the scratch 0.4 Mil (10µ) deep, you should consult a professional glass repair / replacement company.

Methodology

• Clean glass to remove dirt, dust or road grime from surfaces
• Use masking tape to protect windscreen rubber sealing
• Apply clay (Magic Clay®) and lubricant solution (WooliteTM / Water 5:1) onto the glass surface (Do not apply to plastic as dulling may occur.)
• Carpro CeriGlass is a special glass polishing technique developed by the innovative special ceramic, Cerium Oxide, together with some other nano components that can be used by hand or machine and is so effective, it even removes fine to medium scratches and it leaves glass crystal clean and crystal clear.
• Apply a quarter (coin) size amounts of the glass polish using a an LC Glass polishing pad, is made of dense polyurethane foam with very small cells. The pad’s density enables it to keep the glass polish on the surface, rather than soaking into the foam. You’ll use less polish to get the job done, despite its density; the pad still has plenty of flexibility to conform to the curvature of the glass, speed #4 on a PC random orbital polisher
• Heat caused by abrasive polishing can soften and damage glass; foam pad and product used must minimize heat build-up. Since glass is a poor heat conductor any friction heat built up from polishing must be kept to a minimum by using sufficient product and regular misting of both the polishing pad and glass surface with distilled water.
• Apply to half of the windshield, polishing first in an up and down motion then in a left-to-right motion and then repeat on the other side, proceed to other glass surfaces.
• Go over the glass several times in each direction, glass will polish virtually residue free.
• Wipe off any residue, and polish with a clean dry 100% cotton Micro fibre cloth.
• Inspect glass for clarity and smoothness. Repeat if necessary.
• If the glass has PPG Industries Optech clear coating a more aggressive polish may be required

“Glass Cleaning Process” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...g-process.html
TOGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:07 AM   #3
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
I had some severe hard water spots on my glass windows, probably from a sprinkler using well water as a source. I could not get the spots out no matter what.
I finally sourced some GLASS polish on a detailing website. That system with a big Makita buffer did the trick. There was a 3 part system and a one part system. I dont recall which worked better.
The guy detailing my car used both brands. ALL the spots came out!
It was like a rubbing compound for glass! ...a polish too!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
thank you for insights.

I used to be an e46 owner. I love this one more.

zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
I'd recommend first cleaning your wiper blades with something like the 303 Wiper Treatment or use a light APC on them. Try to clean them regularly and don't use them on dry glass to help prevent further issues.

As for cleaning the glass I highly recommend the Glass Science Glass Scrub, which removes water marks, light sap, road grime, etc. For $6 it's an incredible product that I also use on my shower door and the exterior glass of my home's windows. If that is not enough I'd suggest the CarPro Ceriglass Glass Polish. This is a more aggressive treatment that can remove very fine surface imperfections and help make the glass optically clear again. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote