E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
atwnsw

My Ride: 2003 325i Sedan E46
Help: Dropped gold wedding band in a/c vent on dash...

I was picking up my wife from the airport and messing around with my wedding band when I could hear it slide down the top of the dashboard. I wasn't worried until I realized it slid into the A/C vent.

I could hear it slide all the way to the left when I took a right turn.

Unfortunately I couldn't see anything with a flashlight....

How difficult is it to access?

Any ideas?

P.S. It is gold so magnets won't work...
atwnsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Teddy7

My Ride: slides
I don't think you'll get to it without taking the dash out. You may get lucky and be able to take out your cabin air filter and see far enough back from the engine bay area to get to it but I highly doubt it. I wish I had better news for you, but I think that's your only option. I see you are in Florida. If you need help taking the dash out, I recently did mine and am quite familiar with it now. Let me know if you decide that's your last alternative.

Last edited by Teddy7; 08-13-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Teddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Can you actually see where it's sliding around? maybe reach inside one of the vents and hope it goes all the way through? feel around?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
STORMER

My Ride: AA SC 98 M3
Do you need a new windshield? If so you could always take it in to get done and while the windshield is out attempt to retrieve it. Also what setting was your heater last on in terms of mode. Could always turn it on to the floor setting and drive around for a bit and perhaps get into the floor vents and get it from there?

360+rwhp

AA Stage 2, Arp2000, Underdrive Pulley, M50 Manifold, Cat Delete, Supersprint Exhaust, M5 Clutch w/ Lightweight Flywheel, Euro Fan, FK Coilovers, AEM Boost Gauge, Zhp Knob, Stoptech Brakes, R1 Rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
You sir, just thread jacked the sh!t out of OP.
STORMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Lestat_

My Ride: E46 318ci M-Sport
There's no way you can retrieve that. Dash has to come out I'm afraid.

The good thing is it sounds more of a job than it actually is.

EDIT: You could try taking the grill/s off around where you heard it slide and mess around with a coat hanger. You might get lucky. I retrieved a Motorola that way, but it was buried into the floor vents not on top of dash.

Last edited by Lestat_; 08-13-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Lestat_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
325iinbc

My Ride: 2005 325I Executive
Let us know how this story works out for you after you tell it to your wife...

325iinbc
325iinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
MMMGP

My Ride: 325iT, 1997 M3 Sedan
Yeah, dash will most likely have to come out. That's a pretty large duct to be all one piece.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
atwnsw

My wife and I could hear it sliding around earlier. Fortunately she doesn't question how I lost it....

1) Is it possible to remove the grill only? That would be the easiest option.

2) I am not a DIY person so if I go to an Independent shop, what should I expect to pay? My concern is that removing the dash will cost more than the $800 ring.

3) Can the ring cause any damage to a fan blade or other component?

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
I wonder why manufacturers never bothered to put some sort of mesh on such vents.

Having the dash removed is rather expensive, I would be concerned it will definitely cost more than the ring. Think of the car as the ring now!

And surely it has more sentimental value than dollar value?
Old 08-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
atwnsw

Any guess on the cost of removing the dash?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
Teddy7

labor on replacing the evap core typically gets quoted around $1000. Which basically requires removing the entire dash as you would need to do. My offer still stands if you work up the nerve to DIY. The blower/fan you are talking about are only a few inches below where the ring fell in, but much more forward towards the engine. It would be pretty much impossible for the ring to hit them. My best advice on this issue would be to go do some extremely spirited driving with hard turns far away from people and other vehicles. If you can some how get the ring to slide all the way to the bottom vents, it would be possible, just maybe, to get it that way. I just have a feeling if you stop hearing it, it may have fallen on top of the heater core and the vents for the foot wells are a few inches above the heater core. That would basically cause the ring to just sit there on top of the heater core and never be able to be retrieved until you pull out the dash and remove the plastic cover over the heater core.

Last edited by Teddy7; 08-13-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #12
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwnsw View Post
Any guess on the cost of removing the dash?
take a look and let us know how many hours this takes?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash apart.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	464935  
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:52 AM   #13
AquaRelliux

My Ride: 330ci 03 M-sport
I think this is rather simple, take to car ut for a drive and make a sharp right turn before you stop this will cause the ring hopefully to slide to the drivers side AC vent. This is rather easy then undo the trim piece on the drivers close to LCM, then unscrew the AC vent 2 screws on the bottom, unclip and take it out. Now u should be able to reach your hand inside and grab to ring. If not get someone with smaller hands Use your phone to take a picture inside the duct with flash and see where the ring is located.
AquaRelliux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #14
gueste46
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRelliux View Post
I think this is rather simple, take to car ut for a drive and make a sharp right turn before you stop this will cause the ring hopefully to slide to the drivers side AC vent. This is rather easy then undo the trim piece on the drivers close to LCM, then unscrew the AC vent 2 screws on the bottom, unclip and take it out. Now u should be able to reach your hand inside and grab to ring. If not get someone with smaller hands Use your phone to take a picture inside the duct with flash and see where the ring is located.
I like the logical and goal oriented way you think. What do you do for a living?
gueste46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:36 AM   #15
gueste46
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwnsw View Post

P.S. It is gold so magnets won't work...
The wife thinks it's gold, maybe magnet will work
gueste46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:44 AM   #16
AquaRelliux

My Ride: 330ci 03 M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
I like the logical and goal oriented way you think. What do you do for a living?
I break into cars and steal wedding rings that have been dropped in the ac vents ofc what else?
AquaRelliux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #17
RA733

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRelliux View Post
I break into cars and steal wedding rings that have been dropped in the ac vents ofc what else?
Dude really thts sweet, how does one put tht on there resume hehe

But relly tho ya good luck with the dash thing, I personal hate AC boxs.. but if u go after it take a lot of pics subscribe to alldata or michele ondemand, have a back up car redy, and ooh have a lot of beer(I'm sure a lot of ppl will agree with me on tht part)

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Bimmer App
RA733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:10 AM   #18
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Besides the range of options listed, all I can suggest is a fishing expedition with a 1/2" hose attached to end of vacuum cleaner...with enough suction, you should be able to pull the ring out if it's anywhere accessible.

An inspection mirror and 100 lumen led flashlight like the xl50 (available at HD for only $30!) should help. Removing the vents is easy compared to removing the dash!

If you can't suck it out...maybe you can blow it out using the same hose (on a wet/dry vac)? Compressed air from shop?

You're not the first here, btw. Had another lost ring incident before that I can recall. Pretty much the same story..."I was fiddling with my ring while waiting to pick up wife from airport"!

Oh, you could also just divorce her and marry a gold digger. 'She'd' get it for free!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #19
atwnsw

You guys are very funny. Seriously I appreciate the humor.

I like the right turn idea. I did it yesterday on the street and heard it slide to the left corner but still couldn't see anything. However with a scope from HD, I might be in business.

Is there a DIY on how to remove the far left driver side A/C vent?

Thanks for all your input and keep the ideas coming.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #20
Teddy7

It's good news if you can still hear it sliding. If the noise is coming from about steering wheel height in the dash then you are still in business. All you have to do to remove your driver side a/c vent is go grab a wide blade butter knife from inside. Wrap it once or twice on the tip with tape (in order to not damage/scratch your trim). Stick your blade between the far left bottom edge of your far left trim piece. Wiggle it in enough to get some leverage and begin slightly putting torque on the knife. You will see the trim piece begin to be worked out. Besides the far left tab, the trim piece is also held in with another tab where it ends close to the middle trim piece that sits above the radio. Once the trim is out, there will be either 1 or 2 Phillips head screws holding in the vent. Remove those and the vent simply pulls out. Hope this helps. Let me know if you get stuck or need more explanation.

Last edited by Teddy7; 08-14-2012 at 07:29 AM.