E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
VECTOR

My Ride: 2004 330CI auto vert
Question Door lock and hazard switch fell in

Both switches still are working, but seemed to have collapsed together into the center console. Is this common, and is there an easy/cheap fix?
VECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
SlimDog

My Ride: 325xi
When I got my car these switches were sticking out some. I pulled them out to see why and noticed a bunch of napkins stuffed in the whole. My only guess is that was someones way of fixing that same issue.

The clips that hold it in are broken on mine also. This causes it to keep coming out a little. The had tape wrapped around it to keep it from coming out, but it doesnt work very good.
SlimDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #3
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Mine are that way. Looks like the center console is broken where the switch is supposed to clip in. One day I'll either take it apart and and glue it, or buy a new piece. For now I just try not to use those buttons. Taping something to the back of the switch so it can't get pressed in might be worth trying.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
VECTOR

My Ride: 2004 330CI auto vert
Well it would appear I am not alone.

So some of you out there must have come up with a fix, homemade/rigged or not. Fill us in.
VECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
emgee

My Ride: 3 pedal 2005 325xi
Epoxy the parts together.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
Well the proper way to fix it is to identify the issue. Is the console cracked or broken where the button sits? Are the clips broken? Is the button itself broken?

Identify why and from there properly fix it. Good time to replace the console though, as I'm sure yours is peeling anyways.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
My clips are cracked on my buttons and I put some epoxy on it and the hazards work, but the door lock button doesn't. I'll probably just buy a new one.