E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Dazza9421

My Ride: 318i E46
BMW E46 Aftermarket Temp Gauge Install

Hey guys im trying to install an aftermarket temperature gauge as i have been having a few cooling issues these past few days and want to keep a closer eye on the temperature.

Im thinking of installing one of these, Replacing the bleeder screw with its sensor:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Auto-...item4169fd79e7

The car i've got is a 1998 BMW 318i E46. M43? Automatic

This is where i am trying to mount the aftermarket sensor

Has anyone else tried this? ..Can someone give me the measurements of that screw?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120676.jpg
Views:	1591
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	466619  
Dazza9421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
shook

My Ride: E46 328ci
The best place to put the temp screw will be closest to the thermostat.
shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
selien
davconelectric gaycar maker

My Ride: 330CI
That's your bleeder valve plus water that returns there is boiling hot.
You don't need a sensor, im sure the car already has one.

Do what I did, download torque from the play store and buy yourself a OBDII bluetooth scanner, it gives you real time data, I got a cheapy off ebay for $30 shipped.
I occasionally monitor my coolant temp to and other things whenever I just want to double check my car.

Last edited by selien; 08-28-2012 at 03:23 PM.
selien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
selien
davconelectric gaycar maker

My Ride: 330CI
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170847580...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en

Also, if your having cooling issues and your not getting water return into the expansion tank, I don't think you'd get accurate temp readings there of the actual coolant, if you have a leak and no water returns it would steam up and the temp may even stay the same or drop as the boiling water has left the car.
Doesn't your expansion tank have a water sensor? Moment your dash lights up id be pulling over immediately.
If your over heating check your thermostat, it might be sticking when its closed, id try and identify the source of the issue first rather than monitor it, last thing you want to do is blow a head gasket. Ive done that in the past in 2 cars and it scares me sh1tless, I'm always checking water/oil levels every 3-4 days

Last edited by selien; 08-28-2012 at 03:36 PM.
selien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:13 AM   #5
Dazza9421

Quote:
Originally Posted by selien View Post
That's your bleeder valve plus water that returns there is boiling hot.
You don't need a sensor, im sure the car already has one.

Do what I did, download torque from the play store and buy yourself a OBDII bluetooth scanner, it gives you real time data
That does sound like a better idea. Except my car does not support OBD II.

If i use something like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20-Pin-OB...item3f14b601ea ..will it alter the results or not work?

and i did find the source of the problem, turns out my fan controller thing has died and the fan wasn't running and temp sensor in bottom radiator hose was also gone so those two seems to have fixed the problem and now it doesn't overheat which is why i wanted a more accurate gauge so i'll see an exact temp but now i do agree that the location i was going to mount wouldn't have made much difference now. So hopefully this OBD software still works with that adpter. Could you or someone please let me know if this adapter would work
Old 08-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #6
vwikit

My Ride: 318i 99
it is obdii just an early version with the obdi plug i have the same problem and it will work with the adapter
vwikit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
Dazza9421

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwikit View Post
it is obdii just an early version with the obdi plug i have the same problem and it will work with the adapter
Ok thanks for the help
Old 09-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #8
Bmwboi36

My Ride: E46 318i
Instructions to access the hidden OBC functions:
1. Hold Trip Reset while turning ignition key to on position
2. OBC should show "Test"
3. Use Trip Reset to select function 19.0 that unlocks all the features
3. Wait for display to show "Off"
4. Depress Trip Reset for 1/4 second and release it
5. With no delay press Trip Reset several times to select one of the following functions.

7.0 is what u need and it give u current temp of the coolant i used it when i need to take my car to mw dealership when i had radiator leak just to keep an i on the temp one catch though if u turn the car off u need to re do the steps again
Bmwboi36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #9
Bmwboi36

My Ride: E46 318i
u got m43 ? dose your temp sit like 1-3mm over the 12 oclock or 1/2 mark mind dont it sence i owned it avg temp 99-103 is max ihad
Bmwboi36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Dazza9421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwboi36 View Post
Instructions to access the hidden OBC functions:
1. Hold Trip Reset while turning ignition key to on position
2. OBC should show "Test"
3. Use Trip Reset to select function 19.0 that unlocks all the features
3. Wait for display to show "Off"
4. Depress Trip Reset for 1/4 second and release it
5. With no delay press Trip Reset several times to select one of the following functions.

7.0 is what u need and it give u current temp of the coolant i used it when i need to take my car to mw dealership when i had radiator leak just to keep an i on the temp one catch though if u turn the car off u need to re do the steps again
Ya thats what i really hate about it that each time the key is turned off u have to do all those steps again and its annoying and not just a quick step every time.

Yes i have the M43. and ya it sits around the halfway mark now and around that temperature range aswell since its fixed but before that it got to around 150+ in abt 5-6 mins ish and its also got to about 230+ degrees but the gauge still remained around the 1/2 way mark. Which is why i wanted to install an external gauge to see exactly what my temp is without going through all those steps everytime. But i have now purchased one of them OBD bluetooth devices and waiting for it to arrive. See how it goes after i get it

Tags
aftermarket, e46, gauge, temp, temperature