E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
JMonsorno

My Ride: 2001 325i 5-spd
Engine noise ~5k RPM

Hi everyone, I just picked up a '01 325i two weeks ago and have experienced a whole run of typical problem with a 11-12 year old car but got a couple of questions left. Mileage is ~187k

@ ~5k RPM the engine makes a noise that sounds similar to a blow-off value. It's a semi-high pitch noise, I figure it is a pulley bearing but wondering if anyone has experienced this or knows which ones go first and if they can be re-greased or requires replacement.

The other problem I'm having seems to be the ICV (I did some research on the forum first). The engine is rough at idle only when cold and will stale occasionally if the clutch is depressed (first light or so). Also, it requires a bit more revs to move otherwise it stalls (only 1st/2nd from cold start). From what I've been reading, it seems the ICV or cracks in the system before that, but is there anyway to check that before disassembling a lot of pieces?

So far I've replaced the spark plugs, air filter, rear brakes and sensor, and calibrated the emergency brake after checking the pads all by DIY from links form here or YouTube. This car is amazing to drive but is an annoying PITA at times, hopefully with some help I can get it running (and stopping) perfectly again for another decade!

Thanks.
JMonsorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
E46_330i_Stud

My Ride: 2004 330ci ZHP 6MT
The noise your hearing is likely coming from the intake side. Pull off the 2 intake boots and replace them, they need to be done whether thats the problem or not. Check the DISA valve (black rectangle box in the intake manifold above the throttle body) and make sure it's snug and doesn't more around where it goes into the intake mani.

As far as your rough idle and idle surging issue, replace the Vanos seals and go from there. It might not be your only problem but like the intake boots, they need to be done either way.

Welcome!

1995 325i 5mt ArcticGrey/Dove - SOLD
2004 330ci ZHP 6MT SilberGrau/Black - SOLD
2001 330i M-Sport 5MT StaulGrau/Grey - SOLD
1992 Accord LX Sedan 275k miles all original - DAILY
2002 Chevy Suburban LT Autoride - TOY HAULER
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT - RACE TRUCK!
E46_330i_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
JMonsorno

My Ride: 2001 325i 5-spd
Thanks for the quick reply!
What specifically do you mean be the Vanos seals? I tried doing some research and I found about three different versions, two involve going the cam shaft. 1 was a quick ~20 min fix involving two sets of O-rings (1 larger black on a 1 green -- each).
JMonsorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
E46_330i_Stud

My Ride: 2004 330ci ZHP 6MT
It is in no way a 20 min fix lol Here you go.

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm

1995 325i 5mt ArcticGrey/Dove - SOLD
2004 330ci ZHP 6MT SilberGrau/Black - SOLD
2001 330i M-Sport 5MT StaulGrau/Grey - SOLD
1992 Accord LX Sedan 275k miles all original - DAILY
2002 Chevy Suburban LT Autoride - TOY HAULER
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT - RACE TRUCK!
E46_330i_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote