E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
being3
Modded ///Member

My Ride: HPF M3 2.5+
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Fan bolt removal

My fan bolt is frozen. I know it is a reverse thread so clockwise losens it. I have tried heating it and hitting the wrench with a hammer while I hold it with the BMW fan removal tool. Any ideas?
being3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Hopfully its not cross threaded on......

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Old 09-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Use a longer handled wrench...add a section of pipe if you need to on either or both the wrench and the bolt removal tool.

Also, spray pb blaster (or something comparable) and let it soak.

Worst case...remove wp and fan together (if you're even able to do that) and work on it out of the car. Just a guess...I don't know if you have the clearance for that.

I suppose, slightly less worse case, you cut off the end of the wp and again, work on it out of the car...and replace wp of course.

I think more torque will help...hth

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Ky///m3

My Ride: 1988 E30 M3
Always use antiseize

2006 E46 M3 HPF stg II SOLD
1988 E30 M3 Touring Class
1995 E36 M3 I-Prepared Class
Ky///m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
mkodama

Penetrating lubricant like PB blaster, wait an hour, and then use the proper fan nut wrench and pulley holder, preferably put some gloves on to protect your knuckles, and a whole lot of force.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
being3
Modded ///Member

Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
being3
Modded ///Member

Fan bolt removal

Finally after more than a year I got my fan bolt off.... I complied everyone's suggestions and a few others. I had to literally bolt the BMW fan tool to the water bump pulley ( it kept slipping off ) then spray with liquid wrench while letting it sit over night and finally put some serious heat to it for about 4 min... Then I was abel to pry it loose with a big ass wrench... now I can proceed with my Vanos rebuild , clutch fan delete / electric fan install and radiator swap. What a relief ....

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by being3; 11-09-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Glad to hear ya got it. I never really thought to actually bolt the tool on, but that's a brilliant idea. That was one of my main issues, holding the tool onto the heads of those bolts while getting enough leverage on the 32mm. I use a 3' length of 1" ID pipe over the wrench for the leverage. I definitely need to do the electric fan conversion. How are you liking it so far?
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
being3
Modded ///Member

Fan bolt removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
Glad to hear ya got it. I never really thought to actually bolt the tool on, but that's a brilliant idea. That was one of my main issues, holding the tool onto the heads of those bolts while getting enough leverage on the 32mm. I use a 3' length of 1" ID pipe over the wrench for the leverage. I definitely need to do the electric fan conversion. How are you liking it so far?
Bolting it on was the secret for sure.... And the heat was a big factor.... I am running without the clutch fan and am using only the factory pusher..... I was on the dyno for a few hours pushing hard and the temps never went passed 184f at 740rwhp.... I was using the Motorsport thermostat which makes a big difference... I am still wanting in my new radiator and will only add a fan if I see that it needs it... I don't get that hot of weather where I am maybe 85f max on a real hot day....

Old 12-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
I don't think removing the mec fan is recommended for M3....

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=#post15896226

Also the thermostat doesn't make much difference it just makes coolant run through your engine to cool it off sooner than the OEM one. But when it's hot it doesn't matter what thermostat you have because both will be full open thus allowing the coolant to flow.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
coinage

My Ride: 02 M3
Fan bolt removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB328I View Post

Also the thermostat doesn't make much difference it just makes coolant run through your engine to cool it off sooner than the OEM one. But when it's hot it doesn't matter what thermostat you have because both will be full open thus allowing the coolant to flow.
He's replacing it with an electric fan (read edit)... And if he's running the 55*c stat he will definitely notice a difference, as it's maintaining a different temperature and opening much sooner.

Edit: missed where he said he wasn't running a fan yet.

To be installed: SuperSprint V1,ClutchMaster FX700 twin disc clutch,VAC Solid Diff Bushings, Solid Sub Frame Bushings, AS SSK

03 TiAg/Black SMG- For Sale $17K PM for details

Performance Installs,Maintenance,GT1,Engine Builds,Diff Installs,Fab Work PM for details

Last edited by coinage; 12-21-2013 at 09:49 AM.
coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
being3
Modded ///Member

Fan bolt removal

Quote:

I have run without the mech fan and 55 degree thermostat for about 1000 miles including stop and go traffic and 3 hours of hard dyno time and it ran between 160 and 170 and maxed out at 184. And that's with a turbo . Compared to 80degree thermostat and mech fan I was between 180 and 196... Maxed out at 198...

55 degree makes a big difference for sure...

I'm prepared to put a puller electric fan but see no need given how it runs with my testing. I am also putting in a thicker radiator and should see the temps go down to a max of 175 I'm hoping

Old 12-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #13
being3
Modded ///Member

Fan bolt removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinage View Post
He's replacing it with an electric fan (read edit)... And if he's running the 55*c stat he will definitely notice a difference, as it's maintaining a different temperature and opening much sooner.

Edit: missed where he said he wasn't running a fan yet.

Ur right the 55 degree thermostat is an improvement and keeps the temp down. I even had to adjust my tune for warmup / cold start with my piggyback EMS...

Last edited by being3; 12-21-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
BDUB328I

Yea I'm not trying to argue but when water temp is above 80 degrees it makes no differnce if you have the 80 or the 55, open is open. The reason u needed to change ur tune was because the 55 was opening early and not allowing your temp to get to 80 before opening. Opening before 80 just makes it take longer to warm up to operating temp. Why would you want coolant running through your engine if engine is still cold?

I believe that you haven't had any problems but I'm just trying to give you a fair warning, running no mec fan could be a mistake especially with and engine as nice as yours.

Last edited by BDUB328I; 12-21-2013 at 10:28 AM.
BDUB328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
being3
Modded ///Member

Fan bolt removal

Quote:
Yea I'm not trying to argue but when water temp is above 80 degrees it makes no differnce if you have the 80 or the 55, open is open. The reason u needed to change ur tune was because the 55 was opening early and not allowing your temp to get to 80 before opening. Opening before 80 just makes it take longer to warm up to operating temp. Why would you want coolant running through your engine if engine is still cold?

I believe that you haven't had any problems but I'm just trying to give you a fair warning, running no mec fan could be a mistake especially with and engine as nice as yours.
I agree it would make no difference at 80 when they r both open.... I believe the difference is that there is more flow earlier with the 55 degree which allows the heat to be absorbed delaying the temp rise and keeping it within a safe range in high boost. With my 80c degree therm it would spike under boost quickly to the 92c and that scared me... Now I seem to have a buffer with the coolant running 70c ... I think if I were to run it in high boost for long periods of time the 55c term would make no difference as u indicated that's why I'm going with a bigger radiator which will dissipate the heat more efficiently.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #16
BDUB328I

yea big radiator FTW, what brand are you going with?
Old 12-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
coinage

My Ride: 02 M3
Fan bolt removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by being3 View Post
I agree it would make no difference at 80 when they r both open.... I believe the difference is that there is more flow earlier with the 55 degree which allows the heat to be absorbed delaying the temp rise and keeping it within a safe range in high boost. With my 80c degree therm it would spike under boost quickly to the 92c and that scared me... Now I seem to have a buffer with the coolant running 70c ... I think if I were to run it in high boost for long periods of time the 55c term would make no difference as u indicated that's why I'm going with a bigger radiator which will dissipate the heat more efficiently.

Agree. I'm curious what difference in temps you would see with a electric fan and shroud.

Also with the 80c stat, it will start to close at 80c with temps falling.

I'm planning on a zionsville w electric fan/shroud, 55c stat on my turbo car

To be installed: SuperSprint V1,ClutchMaster FX700 twin disc clutch,VAC Solid Diff Bushings, Solid Sub Frame Bushings, AS SSK

03 TiAg/Black SMG- For Sale $17K PM for details

Performance Installs,Maintenance,GT1,Engine Builds,Diff Installs,Fab Work PM for details
coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #18
being3
Modded ///Member

Fan bolt removal

Quote:
yea big radiator FTW, what brand are you going with?
I'm going with a. Mitsu with their new release in the new year.... I had bought their old version and didn't even open the box... They r going to replace it with the newest version in feb

Last edited by being3; 12-21-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #19
being3
Modded ///Member

Fan bolt removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinage View Post
Agree. I'm curious what difference in temps you would see with a electric fan and shroud.

Also with the 80c stat, it will start to close at 80c with temps falling.

I'm planning on a zionsville w electric fan/shroud, 55c stat on my turbo car

I didn't run the car with the Motorsports clutch fan but I kept the shroud intact when testing... I don't know much about the zionsville but I do like the C & R and if u go with the small spal 1600 CFM fan us should be ok as the radiator is about half an inch or so thicker. It will also just clear the blowoff valve if u turn it sideways on an HPF turbo car.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #20
being3
Modded ///Member

Fan bolt removal

Last edited by being3; 12-21-2013 at 05:42 PM.