E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
daves325in2012

My Ride: 04 330cic & 00 540i
Step GM Trans. Flush Results after 125k

Good results and hope for anyone who is doubtful about changing their OEM fluid/filter setup + Fluid.

First off, I drain and refilled, and did a filter change NOT FLUSHED
I drive a 03/2003 production date 2003 325i, silver, pretty basic all around, but in near perfect exterior and interior condition, driven my some mom to work and back, garaged, so it was driven lightly

I've had the car since 115,000, and i drive 10k on the ORIGINAL fluid. I'm near 129,000 today, I changed the fluid the first time with the filter @ 125,000

Before:
Car seems to drive fine, got to know the car a bit and noticed a few quirks.
Shifts were nice, but what did i know I came from a 2004 Kia RIO
now. Before the flush my quirks were:

1. Driving slow into my neighborhood i would take corners slow and start to accelerate, making the car eventually get up to 20mph and shift from 3rd to 4th UPSHIFT, and the tach would go up to about 2,000RPM and then shift from 2nd to 3rd, then back down to 1,500 and slow start creeping up to 2,000. as it approached 2,000 the car would naturally shift on its own since the pedal was barely pressed. when it reached 2,000 and wanted to go to 4th, it would get into 4th, then the rpms would get down to ~1,200 rpm and it would do it quick, almost like it was going to stall like a rubbing sound then it would kind of jump up to 1,600, and then regulate back down to 1,500 and finially catch the gear, then it would be able to continue to accelerate in 4th gear. This is all happening within 3 seconds, so its not a fast shift that makes me feel comfortable.

2. say your on the highway and your going 70mph, then step on it! you will get a normal jump in rpms, no gear change and a pull of non-m power! Well in 2012 with original OEM fluid, the torque converter struggles and I got a jump in rpm, no gear change and a varying RPM. Best way i can describe is the rpms would rise to a set point where it would normally increase in a linear fashion, instead it would be like (example not real RPM) 4,500-4,900 for a few seconds, then 4,800-5,200 for a few more seconds, and continue to vary until i let off the throttle a teeny bit then it would not jump around anymore, it did this and i thought oh **** i just bought a lemon. Thats when i signed on here, eventually drained the BLACK out of the drain plug, cleaned pan, lots of metal, and replaced the fluid with Redline D4 and sealed her back up

After:

Cold start shifts are much quicker, high speed rpm varrying completely GONE, and that hard upshift is all buttery smooth with no more thud and rubbing noise when it made the upshift, mainly the gear catches quicker and all the upshifts and downshifts are just plain BUTTER. feels like a whole different car when upshifting and shifting in parking lots cold or hot!

What I did I put back in 4.75qts first time after filter change and drop,

~3,000 miles later i did another drain and refill with the same Redline D4 ATF, this time only drained about 3qts.

The second time the shifts got even smoother and now I am almost 1,000 miles in and its perfect

I told myself once the car hits 160,000 (30k OCI) drain and refill, and 180,000 id do another filter change and fluid change w/ new pan bolts (dont feel comfortable keeping the stock ones anymore after the second filter change

Last edited by daves325in2012; 06-14-2012 at 09:49 AM.
daves325in2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
Nice write up and feedback.

Welcome to the board and good luck

Sent from my V9 using Bimmer App

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
TeenageWbimmer
Banned User

My Ride: 2003 325i
Are you changing the oil fluid or the trans fluid? What redline fluid is it?
TeenageWbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
daves325in2012

I am speaking of the transmission here, the oil for the motor is not being discussed at all.

I was using Redline D4 ATF. Went through 5 quarts putting back in fluid the first time, and 3-4 quarts fill the second time
Old 10-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
daves325in2012

Just an Update @ 133k:

I just had to put in an extra quart because i was a half quart low, it was doing some things like not catching first gear first thing in the morn until it revved up a bit in first, then it would catch and having a quirk around 1500 rpms when cold.

That seemed to fix it so far, and a side note: been putting in 93 octane ethanol free and recieved 2mpg better plus smoother engine overall!

Last edited by daves325in2012; 10-06-2012 at 08:59 AM.