E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
justanotherone

My Ride: 02 e46 m3
DSC light and tire light!

Whenever I drive my car after a few minutes it will make a weird noise and the dsc light will flash until it becomes solid and eventually the tire inflation light comes on. Any ideas what this could possibly mean?
justanotherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Mf3st

My Ride: e46M3
Did u do anything on your suspension? removing endlinks, brake, control arms or some adjustments on your suspension, if yes the u probably messed up your toe and thats cause the lights to come out. I had the same thing

Just do the alignment and reset the comp that's it
Mf3st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
how are your tire pressure?
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Mf3st

Low tire pressure cause only tire pressure light to come out, not a DSC
Old 09-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
Mf3st

The DSC uses brake modulation and throttle. So, its really just the programming/processor'

All new BMWs are equipped with Dynamic Stability Control. This system monitors over- and under steer and adapts engine power and individual brakes to keep the car under control and headed in the intended direction.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Zell
Banned User

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mf3st View Post
Low tire pressure cause only tire pressure light to come out, not a DSC
E46s after around 2002 I believe utilized DSC for flat tire detection. This allowed BMW to save money by using a system they already have, and not having to install four wireless transmitters into the wheels. It is possible for the DSC and FTM light to come on when the wheel gets too flat. It's not rare, but I have read of a few instances of it on this forum. They put air in the near-flat tire and it went away.

Fun fact, you can turn on RPA (flat tire monitor) on your vehicle if you don't have it. All you'll need is to add $251 to the vehicle order, go into the DSC module and change "REIFENDRUCKWARNSYSTEM" to "aktive," and get the flat tire monitor button on your console strip.

Last edited by Zell; 09-03-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
justanotherone

Quote:
Did u do anything on your suspension? removing endlinks, brake, control arms or some adjustments on your suspension, if yes the u probably messed up your toe and thats cause the lights to come out. I had the same thing

Just do the alignment and reset the comp that's it
I haven't done any of these personally. I have no idea if the previous owner might have done this. I've only had the car serviced (oil filter, air filter, spark plugs). I also replaced the clutch kit in it a few weeks ago. I've also changed the tires on it. These were all done by mechanics, not myself. Although, the last time I got my rear left tire change (which the inside of it wore out pretty quickly seeing as I changed all the tires at the same time), the mechanic told me the alignment of the right rear wheel couldn't be done completely because apparently I need a new rear lower control arm. Also, I've read that the bushings are bad it could cause the tires to wear out.

Does anyone know where I could purchase an oem rear lower control arm and bushing for an e46 m3.

One more thing, as for the tire pressure, if I add air in it using a pump will that do? Or is a special type of tire inflation device needed?
Old 09-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Zell
Banned User

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
It's a tire, you add air to it like any other car on the road.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
Mf3st

at ur local bmw dealer, that way u know it's an OEM 100% or u can go with some aftermarket accept to you
Old 09-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
justanotherone

Quote:
at ur local bmw dealer, that way u know it's an OEM 100% or u can go with some aftermarket accept to you
Thank you.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
Mf3st

Make sure u get the side u are looking for, left and right look the same. Do your alignment at good bmw mechanic which knows what he's doing so far, not at just tires or some other shop.

For the tires 19' I have 36psi fronts and 36 or 38psi rears, but u can look at ur sticker on ur door side will tell u everything. It don't really matter with the pressure above 32 is fine as long as u keep it even

You can reset tire pressure monitoring system by ur self, its pretty easy

I provide you some video below how to do it

Old 09-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
justanotherone

Quote:
Make sure u get the side u are looking for, left and right look the same. Do your alignment at good bmw mechanic which knows what he's doing so far, not at just tires or some other shop.

For the tires 19' I have 36psi fronts and 36 or 38psi rears, but u can look at ur sticker on ur door side will tell u everything. It don't really matter with the pressure above 32 is fine as long as u keep it even

You can reset tire pressure monitoring system by ur self, its pretty easy

I provide you some video below how to do it

Thank you very much. I will do the tire pressure tomorrow morning.
I found a rear lower control arm at Turner Motorsport, it doesn't specify whether it is for the left or right side. Is it safe to assume that it will fit either side? Fortunately it says it includes the bushing!
Old 09-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #13
Mf3st

If its REAR LOWER CONTROL ARM - yes they are the same length so it will fit either side, but to be sure get the one u need, could be used but have to be not band, or damage where the bolts come.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #14
justanotherone

These are the ones I ordered, looks like the right ones right?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #15
justanotherone

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-36...placement.aspx
Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #16
justanotherone

Also would it be better to get two (one for the left rear side). That tire was able to be aligned properly, the lower arm did not have any bent, so should it be fine?? Although that was the one with the inside wear.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherone View Post
Also would it be better to get two (one for the left rear side). That tire was able to be aligned properly, the lower arm did not have any bent, so should it be fine?? Although that was the one with the inside wear.
always replace suspension parts in pairs.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #18
Mf3st

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherone View Post
These are the ones I ordered, looks like the right ones right?

You will see, should be marked as a right one (R)
Old 09-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #19
lodinabritton31

My Ride: BMW 323I
Dsc

My car dsc light comes, does a bad brake sensor cause the DSC light to come on ?
Quote:
The DSC uses brake modulation and throttle. So, its really just the programming/processor'

All new BMWs are equipped with Dynamic Stability Control. This system monitors over- and under steer and adapts engine power and individual brakes to keep the car under control and headed in the intended direction.
lodinabritton31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #20
justanotherone

When I originally star off the car and start driving mine's usually off. I may get to where I'm going with it never coming on. It seems that it comes on when the car rattle while shifting gear, key word "seems." Moreover, when it comes on, it does so simultaneously with the tire pressure light, although my tire pressures are all fine. Sometimes while driving (the dsc light being off) my car will jerk quickly left or right or both and the dsc and tire pressure light will come on simultaneously.