E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
SoonBMWuser

My Ride: 2004 320
2004 E46 320d, DSC lights

Hey,

Im new and really dont know much about cars and i wanted to see if anyone knows this problem well enough to explain it to me before i go into expensive repairs. I've read some things about the problem but people seem to disagree alot on what the problem is or what could be causing it.

First i'd like to mention (not knowing if its connected in any way) that when i turn on my car there is a red light from the rear passenger light bulb. Now i've checked all the lights and replaced those that needed replacing, brake lights and such, however every time i start the car i get that red light bulb signal, saying there is a problem or a broken bulb.
The strange part is, when i turn on the lights the red bulb indicator goes away. It only stays on as long as i dont turn the actual lights on.

My second problem is when driving the other day i hear the beep that nobody wants to hear and i see the DSC light (the one between speed & rpm meter) plus ((!)) (handbrake) turn orange.
The next day when i started it, it was gone but after a few kms it turned orange again. This happend for a few days. Now, a few days later its on constantly. Winter is coming and there is no way i can drive in snow without the DSC.
I went to a friend that has a general car computer that can read some codes off the car and he said that the computer indicated that there was a problem with pressure sensor 1 (and he's never heard of those breaking down). I went to the shop and a DSC Pressure Sensor is not too expensive, but when reading problems from other people on this forums i've heard that its best to switch out both of them because "one could short out the other", which in turn makes it a little expensive (at least here in Iceland).

Now it wouldnt be a problem to do all this if i knew that this was 100% the problem but some people have reported that cleaning some other sensor could be the problem? Or even the control box unit for the dsc? Im not quite sure of all the car part names, like i pointed out earlier im not too much into car repairs myself and my english isnt 100% so my understanding isnt top notch.

So my question is, should i switch out both of the DSC sensors or just one? Should i check something else out first to make sure that the problem is actually in the sensors?
And finally does anyone know what the problem with my red tail light bulb warning could be?

Sorry for the long post, i just wanted to pump out as many details as i could.

Last edited by SoonBMWuser; 09-13-2012 at 04:57 PM.
SoonBMWuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.