E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
jordon702

My Ride: 335
Help! Im Only Getting 150 Miles to a Full Tank of Gas

I just got my car back from being painted in the shop, and now I am burning through gas like crazy! I pulled codes with peake and the only code im getting is "coolant temperature plausibility". I changed my coolant temp sensor last week, erased it and its back. I have searched and I see this code looks like it is for thermostat. Could this be my problem? I have also noticed when i pull into my garage it smells like fuel. The smell is coming from the exhaust pipes, so Im guessing something is telling my car to run rich. Im positive it was not doing this before I dropped it off at the shop. If I could please get some help it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
jordon702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
ChrisRedmon

My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
Ride with the MAF out for 25 miles or so. Do the math and see if it helps.
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL CF Trunk l GTR CF Hood l CSL CF Diffuser l Status Gruppe

ChrisRedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
zabalzae

My Ride: 01 330ci
There a lot of complains about body shops smashing ecu/ground wires with fenders etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Bimmer App
zabalzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Thermostat. Drive on highway...you'll see your temp needle drop slightly to the left of center. With any luck, maybe they just unplugged the therm, but that will cause you to get horrible gas mileage and that's what I thought before I saw you had a therm code!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
ptrcd003

My Ride: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Productions View Post
Do not do this. It caused my transmission to go into limp mode and had to pay 50 bucks to get the codes read and reset.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App
As soon as you plug the MAF back in, the transmission should go back to normal. I've done it many times.
ptrcd003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
ChrisRedmon

My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
So have i.....it diagnosed a lot for me. And your transmission doesnt go into limp mode.
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL CF Trunk l GTR CF Hood l CSL CF Diffuser l Status Gruppe

ChrisRedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Thermostat. Drive on highway...you'll see your temp needle drop slightly to the left of center. With any luck, maybe they just unplugged the therm, but that will cause you to get horrible gas mileage and that's what I thought before I saw you had a therm code!
This is what I would do first. Part is pretty cheap, work isn't bad. Go ahead and replace the entire coolant system if it hasn't been done yet. You should know the drill by now.
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
dpower2012

My Ride: 05 BMW 325CiC
I'm with DMax, a cold engine = sh!tty gas mileage.
dpower2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
aikmanson

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewfus2101 View Post
This is what I would do first. Part is pretty cheap, work isn't bad. Go ahead and replace the entire coolant system if it hasn't been done yet. You should know the drill by now.
Why not use the hidden OBC first to see if the coolant is getting up to temp. The needle may show center, but center is 75-105 Celsius. I agree with dmax however, cold engine means shitty mileage.
aikmanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I agree with me also...but I have to say also that mpgs have been discussed before many times...use advanced/title search for 'mpgs.'

The cribs of the collected mgp wisdom:

air filter, fuel filter, plugs at 100K

small intake leaks (though they usually throw a code...they often don't throw a light)

...and then all the other things we do to keep things tight...vcg, ccv, new o-rings and rubber wherever you happen to be (though, at 237K miles, all my vac hoses were intact...they just broke when pulling them off of their nipples).

Therm and fuel filter together gave me 3 mpgs...about 1.5 better mpgs for each replacement.

Also, rather than report your miles per tank, average mpgs at an average mph 'on' a tank is a much better gauge.

I know I get 'around' 22 mpgs when I've done 'around' 250 miles at an average speed of 25 mph. I get 34.5 mpgs when going for a long run on the highway at 71-2 mph (it's downright dangerous in NJ/NY to maintain only the speed limit!) in fifth, in cruise. Anyway, just saying, so you have a reliable measure to compare your work against.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
SteadyMobbin

My Ride: ImolaZHP 6spd M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrcd003 View Post
As soon as you plug the MAF back in, the transmission should go back to normal. I've done it many times.
I had to get the code reset I drove about 70 miles with the gearbox code and it did not go back to normal.
SteadyMobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
SteadyMobbin

My Ride: ImolaZHP 6spd M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRedmon View Post
So have i.....it diagnosed a lot for me. And your transmission doesnt go into limp mode.
Yes it does. For my car at least it brought up a Maf gearbox error code.
SteadyMobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Do not do this. It caused my transmission to go into limp mode and had to pay 50 bucks to get the codes read and reset.

Dude. Buy yourself a scanner and read/reset them yourself.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyMobbin View Post
Yes it does. For my car at least it brought up a Maf gearbox error code.
A what? A MAF gearbox code? Someone has been pulling your plonker mate. Seriously. There is no such code. MAF is an acronym stands for Mass Air Flow. It is a sensor that fits between the air intake and the throttle. Absolutely nothing to do with the gearbox. I am not even aware of any sensor on the gearbox that would throw a fault code. There are certainly none in the BMW fault code PDF I use as a reference. Print this document off, take it round to the guy who stiffed you and get him to point out the "MAF gearbox" fault code that he reset for you. Then ask him for your money back.

http://www.kneb.net/bmw/E46/E46%20Trouble%20codes.pdf
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
bAby norAA

My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
Quote:

^^ dont listen to this guy.

OP check the thermostat like said above, either in the Hidden codes or check the connection in the engine bay. If you havent already, you might as well just replace the entire cooling system. You will need to eventually especially if your car is a higher mileage car

| VF Supercharged Stage 1.5| Southbend Stage 2 Clutch | ZHP Cams | Technik Headers |
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #16
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
are you absolutely sure your mileage is that bad? that means you've dropped to like 10 mpg!
When you get to an empty tank, does your car take 15 gallons to fill?
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #17
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
OP,

Was it just painting work done.. Any painting in the engine bay?
Or, was there also body work? Any welding??

How many miles is on your M3?
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #18
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Sound like you boosted
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #19
ac_2007
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
What if my temp gauge rises slightly on the highway?
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #20
REKLESS ROB

My Ride: 2004 325ci
The trans controll module gets its load signal from the MAF sensor. Do not unplug your MAF and drive around.
REKLESS ROB is offline   Reply With Quote