E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 05:46 AM   #21
bAby norAA

My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
What if my temp gauge rises slightly on the highway?
have you tried checking the actual temp within your cluster?

| VF Supercharged Stage 1.5| Southbend Stage 2 Clutch | ZHP Cams | Technik Headers |
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #22
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bAby norAA View Post
have you tried checking the actual temp within your cluster?
This is for a different car (2002 Neon R/T), in which I find the temperature varies too much.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #23
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
AC...therms get stuck closed...and that would account for your being slightly above normal (assuming Neon's is buffered gauge like ours).

Could be...a temp sensor that regulates therm...really old messed up angry coolant that's left crap clogging up radiator...probably not a WP, but why not do it. I'm mixed...cooling overhaul is always a good idea, but on a Neon...hmmm? If this is happening in slow traffic mostly then I'd lean to therm. If this is happening only at idle...then maybe fan, maybe therm. You know I'd be guessing...but look over belts, pulleys, etc...just the same as if it was a bmw!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:53 AM   #24
ac_2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
AC...therms get stuck closed...and that would account for your being slightly above normal (assuming Neon's is buffered gauge like ours).

Could be...a temp sensor that regulates therm...really old messed up angry coolant that's left crap clogging up radiator...probably not a WP, but why not do it. I'm mixed...cooling overhaul is always a good idea, but on a Neon...hmmm? If this is happening in slow traffic mostly then I'd lean to therm. If this is happening only at idle...then maybe fan, maybe therm. You know I'd be guessing...but look over belts, pulleys, etc...just the same as if it was a bmw!
It has a mismatched radiator as far as I know, from the SRT-4 which has a 2.4L instead of a 2.0L. I'm thinking that could be related.
The temp goes dead center on the highway or when I turn my AC on, otherwise it stays biased towards the typical Chrysler 11 o'clock location.
I really doubt this sensor is buffered though.

Changing the WP is a pain on this car, but that has already been done according to the PO.
Another idea I have is that the thermostat is cheap or designed to open/close at different temperatures than OE spec.

I spent less on this car than I did my BMW's wheels, should just be happy it runs, right?

Last edited by ac_2007; 09-09-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:50 AM   #25
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
You could asking the question on a Dodge Neon website, rather than getting BMW advice. That may help things quite a bit.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #26
ac_2007

I have. The Dodge forums are pretty much dead. Plus it helps to have the infinite wisdom of dmax.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer App
Old 09-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #27
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Gotta side with you on that one. Go to a lot of other boards and the latest posts are dated months ago!

Last edited by Stinger9; 09-09-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #28
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
I have. The Dodge forums are pretty much dead. Plus it helps to have the infinite wisdom of dmax.

My wisdom is quite finite, I assure you!

But, I know that basically cooling systems are about the same. Ours is unique with ET instead of overflow tank, but other than that it's about the same. I don't know the odds of Neon parts braking relative to ours...so if you wanted to play the odds...search neon forums. Otherwise, just inspect it as best you can and good luck!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #29
antonmn

My Ride: 02 325Ci
This thread is all over the place.

If mpgs were ok before it went to the shop and have changed drastically since returning from the shop, it probably has something to do with the shop. Check wiring around your coolant temp sensor for physical damage.

I've seen lots of thermostats fail open, but they're not usually this dramatic. It happens over a few weeks.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #30
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:

Well, I can't say I am shocked that the Dodge Neon Forums being dead.
But, it would have been helpful to know that this was a non-BMW issue to start with.
Since a PO was obviously doing some cooling mods, with the different radiator, you are in a bad spot, since Neon owners are not necessarily the smartest bunch.
I speak from experience. My niece married a kid who drives an SRT Neon, and he is a certifiable idiot. He was replacing an engine he managed to blow, and was having problems with the rebuilt unit he had dropped in, and by crowd sourcing the help of several other Neon idiots, he had managed to get it installed and hooked up. But, it would turn over, but not stay running, and was making horrible noises. This did not prevent him from continuing to try to crank it though.
Even though I had sworn not to get involved, my niece called me and asked me to come over to offer advice. I listened to him crank it over once, even though he said he had already tried hundreds of times. Sure enough, it was making an awful noise. As he was babbling away about all of the things they had checked, like fuel pressure, spark, etc, I walked over and pulled out a bone dry dipstick. They had never added oil. He started complaining about the rebuilder ripping him off, as I walked away.
He had the nerve to try to get his money back from the rebuilder, since all of the dry starts had spun some of the crank bearings. That did not go well.
So, maybe it is best that the Neon forums are dead.....
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #31
ac_2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Well, I can't say I am shocked that the Dodge Neon Forums being dead.
But, it would have been helpful to know that this was a non-BMW issue to start with.
Since a PO was obviously doing some cooling mods, with the different radiator, you are in a bad spot, since Neon owners are not necessarily the smartest bunch.
I speak from experience. My niece married a kid who drives an SRT Neon, and he is a certifiable idiot. He was replacing an engine he managed to blow, and was having problems with the rebuilt unit he had dropped in, and by crowd sourcing the help of several other Neon idiots, he had managed to get it installed and hooked up. But, it would turn over, but not stay running, and was making horrible noises. This did not prevent him from continuing to try to crank it though.
Even though I had sworn not to get involved, my niece called me and asked me to come over to offer advice. I listened to him crank it over once, even though he said he had already tried hundreds of times. Sure enough, it was making an awful noise. As he was babbling away about all of the things they had checked, like fuel pressure, spark, etc, I walked over and pulled out a bone dry dipstick. They had never added oil. He started complaining about the rebuilder ripping him off, as I walked away.
He had the nerve to try to get his money back from the rebuilder, since all of the dry starts had spun some of the crank bearings. That did not go well.
So, maybe it is best that the Neon forums are dead.....
I feel sorry for that engine, and lots of those cars in generel seeing as how they're constantly abused.
Hope that kid didn't get his money from the rebuilder and learnt a lesson.

But back on topic, and possibly more relalvant to this thread, I think I may have found the issue: My gas gauge.

It seems the car lasts 200km on the first half tank, and.. well I don't know, but a lot further with the last half. I was just too reluctant to find out how far it would get me. So if you feel you're having this problem with the E46, use your OBC menus to see exactly how many liters of gas remain, and in which portion of the tank. Your level sensors may be kaput.

Last edited by ac_2007; 09-10-2012 at 01:11 PM.