E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #101
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
Who cares what type of transmission somebody has? It's all personal preference really. If the manual guys don't like autos... who cares? If auto guys don't like manuals... who cares? I really don't care if anybody likes my Steptronic 323i. I like it and that's all that matters.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:44 AM   #102
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Holy crap guy, are you serious? Now I really don't feel bad for all those times I've upset your feelings...

Last edited by EverydayGetaway; 10-11-2012 at 01:45 AM.
EverydayGetaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:54 AM   #103
lucky_doggg7

My Ride: 2005 M3
Auto is very good in heavy traffic; in SoCal on a rainy evening, Downtown Los Angeles to South OC takes 3 hours or so... in that case, auto rules. Anything else, meh.. j/k.
lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:06 AM   #104
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
Yeah the auto is alright. Boring, but alright.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:40 AM   #105
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I can't say I love mine, but I don't hate it. The fact is, I had seen so many beat up 330ci's before I found my car, I was just happy to find a car in such good shape. I did not think twice about buying it after I drove it. My long term plan is to just do a 5 speed conversion when the automatic dies. I was tired of driving all over the place to look at a "great" cars that ended up being beat all to Hell, and meeting all of the lying bastards who were selling them. The car I checked out right before I found my current car was a POS. The Indian dealer who was selling it tried to tell me it was perfectly normal for a manual transmission to rev up to 6k rpm before the car would move, and that the clutch was new. He actually followed me out the door, yelling at me for not buying the car. I was glad to get my car, automatic or not.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:43 AM   #106
robin325ci

My Ride: Helrot 325Ci
'02 325Ci here Had no choice since M/T was only offered in the 316 and 318 in my country.

Planning on doing a manual swap next year
Old 10-11-2012, 05:04 AM   #107
Japanrot_325i

My Ride: 03 325i
03 325i steptronic and I love it you can shift when you want and just throw it back in drive when you don't pretty convenient I think

Sent from my VM670 using Bimmer App
Old 10-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #108
agdiver

My Ride: bmw e46
add a paddle shifter to my steptronic...

and i love it !!

Sent from my SCH-i509 using Bimmer App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1349957998789.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	473411  
agdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #109
330xIce

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Send a message via AIM to 330xIce
How?

Follow Me On Instagram: JamesMarshall_E46

///My Progress Thread - How To Set a Signature - Black Sedans FTMFW
-James-
330xIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #110
PrecisionX

My Ride: 2002 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
I can't say I love mine, but I don't hate it. The fact is, I had seen so many beat up 330ci's before I found my car, I was just happy to find a car in such good shape. I did not think twice about buying it after I drove it. My long term plan is to just do a 5 speed conversion when the automatic dies. I was tired of driving all over the place to look at a "great" cars that ended up being beat all to Hell, and meeting all of the lying bastards who were selling them. The car I checked out right before I found my current car was a POS. The Indian dealer who was selling it tried to tell me it was perfectly normal for a manual transmission to rev up to 6k rpm before the car would move, and that the clutch was new. He actually followed me out the door, yelling at me for not buying the car. I was glad to get my car, automatic or not.
This! Minus the Indian guy.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #111
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Me too. I looked at so many cars that looked so good in ads, then I was utterly disappointing when I saw them in person. I was just glad to find a clean one. The interior in my car is incredible and the body only has a few scratches that I can polish out (my Thanksgiving or Christmas project I think).
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #112
330xIce

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Send a message via AIM to 330xIce
Double post: Just looked up some DIY's on hooking up paddle shifters to steptronic. All of them say you need to buy an M3 SMG steering wheel. How did you hook up shifters to your stock wheel?

Follow Me On Instagram: JamesMarshall_E46

///My Progress Thread - How To Set a Signature - Black Sedans FTMFW
-James-
330xIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #113
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayGetaway View Post
That's funny considering in numerous threads (pretty sure this is one of them) you said yourself that you bought your car because you didn't want to wait for a manual and would prefer a manual

Also, sounds to me that "sport" mode is simply an O/D off switch...
Sport mode starts you in first gear every time. It also revs to higher RPMs before shifting. Then it will refrain from upshifting when you let off the throttle for a second so you can get back on it and have the power immediately. You can really scream out of turns with this feature.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #114
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Fixing a beat up interior is usually cheaper and much easier than fixing a transmission. I'd rather buy a beat up manual than a pristine slushbox.

You also don't have to put up with it while waiting on parts to fix it.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #115
agdiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold9485 View Post
Double post: Just looked up some DIY's on hooking up paddle shifters to steptronic. All of them say you need to buy an M3 SMG steering wheel. How did you hook up shifters to your stock wheel?
Paddle shift is just a button (with a paddle to push it)

If you know how to hook up a button to your steptronic, then it would be an easy DIY...

It cost about 3-4 hour of my time and about $ 20 for parts

Should i make a thread of it?

Last edited by agdiver; 10-11-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #116
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
bro, go put some miles on that car bro, then come back and rave about your steptronic. I mean MILES. you have hardly any miles on that e46 there. get up over 100, then wonder about changing fluid, be scared, do it, maybe not do it, think about it some more, when the tranny starts getting slow to change gears around 160K, then think some more, and let me know what you do, cause I don't know what the hell to do with the wife's slushbox now that she's around 160K and the shifts are taking some time.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #117
lucky_doggg7

My Ride: 2005 M3
This is the thing that drives me nuts... Ever since BMW started calling certain fluids "lifetime", what they don't tell you is that means lifetime of the tranny until it breaks, not "lifetime" as though the fluid will be good forever. Ever since BMW started taking maintenance responsibility of all new cars sold for the first 50k or 60k miles, suddenly BMW's instructions are 15,000 mile interval oil changes and lifetime fluids so BMW's responsibility is drastically reduced.

Back in the old days, BMW's maintenance regime for fluids was replacement on shorter mileage intervals because back then, maintenance responsibility fell upon the customer, not the manufacturer. Then at some point when manufacturers lure the public into thinking their maintenance cost will be zero for "X" years, that's great, but those who know better, meaning more mechanically inclined, know there is no such thing as lifetime fluid.

Ah well, as with anything in life, you gotta pay to play, and if you want a BMW, do like what acronym says to do, meaning Bring More Wrenches, or if your at the dealer, Bring My Wallet.
lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #118
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by agdiver View Post
Paddle shift is just a button (with a paddle to push it)

If you know how to hook up a button to your steptronic, then it would be an easy DIY...

It cost about 3-4 hour of my time and about $ 20 for parts

Should i make a thread of it?

Yes please!!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #119
agdiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenluczynski View Post
Yes please!!
Will do.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #120
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by agdiver View Post
Will do.

I tried researching this, but I was led to believe that you need the BMW micro controllers

Tags
autotragic, slushboxes