E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
AddictedToBavarian

My Ride: E46 M3
From an E92 328xi to an E46 M3?

Hey guys, name is Pat and I'm from NJ.

Always loved BMW and 3 years ago I had the fortunate point in my career where I was able to purchase my first BMW. Since I was 13 I was crazy about the E46 M3 and that was the car I dreamed of owning. When it finally came time to buy a BMW I backed out of the risk of buying a used M3 and bought a very well maintained CPO E92. I've never been able to get the M3 out of my head. The E9X M3 is great, but nothing captivates me like the E46.

Done with modding my car and yearning for a 6 speed I finally am entertaining the thought of buying a M3. I just let one slip through my hands that had to be the cleanest example of a used car I have ever seen and I'm kicking myself for it, but there's nothing to do now and I have to keep looking.

Honestly though I have never test driven one, but I only hear good things. Has anyone came from an E9X on here or have any suggestions for this transition? Good idea? Bad? What should I expect?

My ideal car right now would be a red ZCP 04-06 6spd with definitely less than 50,000 miles and navigation if possible. Trading in is the most realistic scene right now as I don't have the time to sell my car myself. What price point am I looking at?

Hope to learn a lot from you guys and join you soon!
AddictedToBavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
helmutm3

My Ride: 04 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedToBavarian View Post
Hey guys, name is Pat and I'm from NJ.

Always loved BMW and 3 years ago I had the fortunate point in my career where I was able to purchase my first BMW. Since I was 13 I was crazy about the E46 M3 and that was the car I dreamed of owning. When it finally came time to buy a BMW I backed out of the risk of buying a used M3 and bought a very well maintained CPO E92. I've never been able to get the M3 out of my head. The E9X M3 is great, but nothing captivates me like the E46.

Done with modding my car and yearning for a 6 speed I finally am entertaining the thought of buying a M3. I just let one slip through my hands that had to be the cleanest example of a used car I have ever seen and I'm kicking myself for it, but there's nothing to do now and I have to keep looking.

Honestly though I have never test driven one, but I only hear good things. Has anyone came from an E9X on here or have any suggestions for this transition? Good idea? Bad? What should I expect?

My ideal car right now would be a red ZCP 04-06 6spd with definitely less than 50,000 miles and navigation if possible. Trading in is the most realistic scene right now as I don't have the time to sell my car myself. What price point am I looking at?

Hope to learn a lot from you guys and join you soon!
I have no problems jumping into an older car as long as I know thats what I want. To me it would still be an upgrade despite the fact that its older. I owned a few cars before I baught the M3 but nothing made me happy for longer then 2 weeks. No matter what car I had I was constantly on Ebay, craigslist etc always looking at M3s. Dont waste anymore time and get one. Just make sure you get a good one.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
SKR7

My Ride: E46 MY04.5 SMG M3
I found the E90 M3 lacked personality. It sounded great but just felt wooden, especially when on the limit. By comparison the E46 M3 fizzes, bucks and rewards you when you get it right. There is a lot to like about the V8 M3. However I can't recall it being mentioned in the same revered category as the earlier straight 6 iterations.

The challenge is to get a good E46 M3. Have a thorough PPI done on it. Know it s going to have a few issues. Enjoy ironing those out and subsequently making the car your own.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
helmutm3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKR7 View Post
I found the E90 M3 lacked personality. It sounded great but just felt wooden, especially when on the limit. By comparison the E46 M3 fizzes, bucks and rewards you when you get it right. There is a lot to like about the V8 M3. However I can't recall it being mentioned in the same revered category as the earlier straight 6 iterations.

The challenge is to get a good E46 M3. Have a thorough PPI done on it. Know it s going to have a few issues. Enjoy ironing those out and subsequently making the car your own.
The OP has a 328 though.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
M3_Ed

My Ride: 2002 M3
I have an E46 M3 and I've driven my mother's E92 328i quite a bit. They are very different cars, in short, the E92 is a really nice relaxed car whereas the E46 is a lot more fun and connected. The E92 is a bit softer (but my car is on coils and 19's so not a direct comparison), it's a more relaxed drive, all bottom end power and generally feels a bit big and heavy. It's well poised, makes enough power for a comfortable DD and overall sportier than most. In terms of creature comforts it's definitely a winner with all the newer features and interior etc. But the E46 M3 is a whole different animal, it feels a lot more raw and connected to the road, it's a bit louder, but it out handles, out brakes and is quicker than the E92 in every way - it generally feels a lot lighter (even though numbers wise they're about the same), as in I can flick the car around and it reacts and bites almost immediately whereas the E92 lags and rolls through. Throttle response on the E46 is much quicker and sharper as well. It's hard to explain but the driving dynamics is so much more fun, it's not lazy and laid back like the E92, it enjoys being opened up and the power keeps hitting all the way up to 8k whereas the E92 falls off at about 4.5k. I'm not that great as describing these things but if you have any direct questions/comparisons I can come up with something.

I wouldn't bother with Navigation on the E46, the OEM unit is soooo far behind and you'll narrow the available cars out there (why pass up a good car just because it doesn't have NAV). I would suggest buying whatever car is good and upgrading to the Avin Avant-2 Nav, much nicer, pretty close oem looks but it performs much better and has a lot more functionality.

Cliff notes
Comfort - E92
Gas mileage - E92
Power - E46 (although if you're just DD you won't use the power most of the time so it'll feel on par with the E92. Actually the E92 might have the edge for bottom end torque)
Handling - E46
Fun Factor - E46
Maintenance - E92 (cheaper)

If you want a relaxed, comfortable but somewhat sporty DD, E92. If you want a fun, sporty, drivers' car that is still practical for DD, E46
Old 08-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
AddictedToBavarian

My Ride: E46 M3
Thanks for taking the time to write that. I enjoyed reading the comparison. I can't say I have any complaints at all about the E9X 328. I just want something quicker and most importantly, manual. You look at an E46 and it definitely looks dated to the normal person, but I'm not after the bells and whistles. I want a raw car. I think it will fit the bill.

It's funny what you said about the navigation. I can imagine how outdated it must be on an 02-06 when I feel like my 08's navigation is old. It's definitely not a priority, but I just haven't gotten desperate enough to completely rule it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Ed View Post
I have an E46 M3 and I've driven my mother's E92 328i quite a bit. They are very different cars, in short, the E92 is a really nice relaxed car whereas the E46 is a lot more fun and connected. The E92 is a bit softer (but my car is on coils and 19's so not a direct comparison), it's a more relaxed drive, all bottom end power and generally feels a bit big and heavy. It's well poised, makes enough power for a comfortable DD and overall sportier than most. In terms of creature comforts it's definitely a winner with all the newer features and interior etc. But the E46 M3 is a whole different animal, it feels a lot more raw and connected to the road, it's a bit louder, but it out handles, out brakes and is quicker than the E92 in every way - it generally feels a lot lighter (even though numbers wise they're about the same), as in I can flick the car around and it reacts and bites almost immediately whereas the E92 lags and rolls through. Throttle response on the E46 is much quicker and sharper as well. It's hard to explain but the driving dynamics is so much more fun, it's not lazy and laid back like the E92, it enjoys being opened up and the power keeps hitting all the way up to 8k whereas the E92 falls off at about 4.5k. I'm not that great as describing these things but if you have any direct questions/comparisons I can come up with something.

I wouldn't bother with Navigation on the E46, the OEM unit is soooo far behind and you'll narrow the available cars out there (why pass up a good car just because it doesn't have NAV). I would suggest buying whatever car is good and upgrading to the Avin Avant-2 Nav, much nicer, pretty close oem looks but it performs much better and has a lot more functionality.

Cliff notes
Comfort - E92
Gas mileage - E92
Power - E46 (although if you're just DD you won't use the power most of the time so it'll feel on par with the E92. Actually the E92 might have the edge for bottom end torque)
Handling - E46
Fun Factor - E46
Maintenance - E92 (cheaper)

If you want a relaxed, comfortable but somewhat sporty DD, E92. If you want a fun, sporty, drivers' car that is still practical for DD, E46
AddictedToBavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #7
juno615

My Ride: 2002 m3
Do your self a fav and go get the m3.....you won't regret it.... On another note I noticed you said you wanted a ZCP. if you like comfort and options I just want to remind you that the ZCP does not have cruise control equipped while the regular m3's do. I'm not not sure of that's a big deal to you but I just wanted to make sure you are aware of that

Last edited by juno615; 08-05-2014 at 03:03 PM.
juno615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #8
M3_Ed

My Ride: 2002 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedToBavarian View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write that. I enjoyed reading the comparison. I can't say I have any complaints at all about the E9X 328. I just want something quicker and most importantly, manual. You look at an E46 and it definitely looks dated to the normal person, but I'm not after the bells and whistles. I want a raw car. I think it will fit the bill.

It's funny what you said about the navigation. I can imagine how outdated it must be on an 02-06 when I feel like my 08's navigation is old. It's definitely not a priority, but I just haven't gotten desperate enough to completely rule it out.
Yeah the E92 is a nice car, if I had the choice/space I'd probably use it as a DD and keep the ///M for fun/nice days. I find the regular E46 looks dated but a clean M3 still keeps up, people are usually shocked when they find out my car is an 02, but it's subjective. To me the M3 is a perfect trade off between fairly raw (not quite as raw as say an e30), makes good power, feels great (drivers car for sure), while still being practical - decent space, rides fairly well (especially considering coils+19's, stock is softer) and is still a nice and classy car (has leather, power, memory, heated seats etc.). Overall just a great package, jack of all trades.

The old navigation is crap. As far as I'm concerned the best navigation is really just whatever google maps navigator you have on your phone, quick, easy, decent routes and traffic. The avant gives you that and you can also opt for regular gps maps (which are better than the dated oem system) for when you're out of range. If you can find one then sure, around here it was hard enough finding a 6sp coupe, nevermind with Nav. Keep in mind though that if you want to swap for an avant unit, I believe it's easier to do with cars that never had Nav.

juno makes a good point, if you want a car to replace the E9X and you plan on DD (ie not a second car), the ZCP option may not be for you. Check one out and see if you can live with a few more basics.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
DonJuan360

My Ride: E92
I'm new here also own 328xi and wish to go e46 M3. I spoke to an enthusiast today can convinced me that e46 is preferred over pre-lci e92 because less electronic more mechanic friendly.

Can anyone chime about differences? I'm interested in SMG. I know very little about e46 linebut have been reading on them
DonJuan360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #10
juno615

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuan360 View Post
I'm new here also own 328xi and wish to go e46 M3. I spoke to an enthusiast today can convinced me that e46 is preferred over pre-lci e92 because less electronic more mechanic friendly.

Can anyone chime about differences? I'm interested in SMG. I know very little about e46 linebut have been reading on them
The biggest difference is that the e46 m3 is much more sporty than the e9x 328 the e46 m3 feels much less like a daily driver and more like a sports car. The e46 m3 is honestly not a hard car to work on but can be expensive to keep up with. I think to get better Information you should ask more specific questions so we can resolve what your concerns/interests are
Old 08-16-2014, 11:29 PM   #11
DonJuan360

My Ride: E92
I know the drive is difference I'm trying to decide between e46 and e92 m3 versions.
It seem like more people prefer e46 m3.
DonJuan360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:51 AM   #12
juno615

Quote:
I know the drive is difference I'm trying to decide between e46 and e92 m3 versions.
Oh I see. Well to be 100% honest I think it will seem like more people prefer the e46 m3 simply because more people have it since it's 50% cheaper than the e92 m3. And then some people will argue till the death the e46 Is better but I think people just make that arguement to make themselves feel better about not having an e92 m3. Don't get me wrong I love my e46 m3 but at the end of the day it's a matter of preference and the "which is better arguement" is irrelevant. Here's the facts.....there's more aftermarkets products for the e46 m3, it's base price is cheaper than it's ever been to get one and they are really easy to work on. Now the e92 m3 is more expensive, less customizable (if I see another riveted wide body kit I'll puke) and it gets a much worse mpg but the interior is nicer and the biggest Advatage is the beautiful sound of the v8 which can be super charged but don't go looking for a turbo kit cuz you'll probably find a unicorn first........Personally If I was In your position I would probably go for the e92 because they have less mechanical problems than the e46, it's the only m3 with a v8 and they will probably hold their value better plus it's a nicer interior and with 400hp all you need is an exhaust and you can sit back and enjoy the sound track.....just my $0.02

Last edited by juno615; 08-17-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #13
helmutm3

Quote:
That's because this is an e 46 forum.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #14
deadstarsco

Hey bro. I think I bought the car you were looking at buying was it in NY, Buffalo?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
deadstarsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #15
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
The original e30 M3 was designed specifically to be raced, with just enough compromises made to make it useable as a road car. Each generation after the original has moved further from the original idea of a streetworthy racing car to a raceable road car. Beginning with the e36, each generation has gotten slightly more isolated, more luxurious, heavier, and more powerful. The e46, in my opinion, offers the best balance of fun and comfort. The e90/e92 M3 is larger, heavier, more luxurious, and more powerful than the e46. It is also faster. But it has sacrificed some of the immediacy of its predecessor in terms of feel in order to provide a package that more people will like. The e46 M3 rides, feels, and handles more like a sportscar than a high performance sedan. I don't think the same is true of the e9X M3. Before anybody takes this as an insult to the e9X M3, just be aware that many of today's high performance sedans have handling and performance that equal or surpass that of many of today's sportscars. But for many of us the joy is in the experience of thee drive, not the mythical time around the Nurburgring or the (even more) mythical standing start acceleration times, which is why a Porsche Boxster S is a more rewarding drive than the much faster Mercedes Benz AMG SL55.

Last edited by DSilk56; 08-22-2014 at 09:29 AM.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #16
juno615

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk56 View Post
The original e30 M3 was designed specifically to be raced, with just enough compromises made to make it useable as a road car. Each generation after the original has moved further from the original idea of a streetworthy racing car to a raceable road car. Beginning with the e36, each generation has gotten slightly more isolated, more luxurious, heavier, and more powerful. The e46, in my opinion, offers the best balance of fun and comfort. The e90/e92 M3 is larger, heavier, more luxurious, and more powerful than the e46. It is also faster. But it has sacrificed some of the immediacy of its predecessor in terms of feel in order to provide a package that more people will like. The e46 M3 rides, feels, and handles more like a sportscar than a high performance sedan. I don't think the same is true of the e9X M3. Before anybody takes this as an insult to the e9X M3, just be aware that many of today's high performance sedans have handling and performance that equal or surpass that of many of today's sportscars. But for many of us the joy is in the experience of thee drive, not the mythical time around the Nurburgring or the (even more) mythical standing start acceleration times, which is why a Porsche Boxster S is a more rewarding drive than the much faster Mercedes Benz AMG SL55.
Very true
Old 08-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #17
drifttek

My Ride: M3
I have both a 09 e93 328i automatic and a 03 e46 m3 manual.

They are very different. The 328i is a great DD especially in traffic. It's smoother and its fairly fast IMO for 228hp.

The e46 is rough, not quite how smooth you remember it being when it first came out. I use that as a weekend car since having 333hp in traffic and stick doesn't help much.

i bought the e46 m3 because of nostalgia and i used to idolize the car, but when it comes to the reality of it, the e92/93 is a smoother everyday car that will probably have less issues and maintenance.
drifttek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #18
E46greg

My Ride: M3
E46 m is a raw beatiful piece of machinery my opinion
E46greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #19
angela7807

My Ride: 2004 325CI
I love my e46 m3 but no way would I take it over the e92 m3. If you asked the question of e92 vs e46 m3 outside this forums, it would be pretty clear. E92 looks nicer inside and much nicer out IMO. I had a e92 and made the mistake of selling for a e46 m3. Will go back shortly.
angela7807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #20
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
One's personal choice between the e46 M3 and the e92 M3 has everything to do with personal preferences. Those of us who would be happy driving an e30 M3 or a 2002tii will prefer the e46. Those who would be happier driving a new Porsche 911 than driving a 1976 911 turbo will opt for the e92. The e92 is more luxurious and faster (just like the new 911 versus the original turbo), but it is also bigger, heavier, and less tactile in terms of its feedback.

Automobile magazine compared the original e30 M3 to the e46 and new f80 M3's. Its description of the e46 was as follows:

The E46-based M3 looks and feels like a fusion of epochs. It is still raw enough to share a bloodline with the very first M3-which in turn owes a lot to the 2002tii-yet it offers modern conveniences that might encourage you to use this tail-happy supersled as a prescription-free antidepressant.

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...#ixzz3Bi5DKIpC

Most people will prefer the newer car. But then again, far more people buy Toyota Camries than buy FR-S's, and more people buy cars with automatic transmissions than with manuals.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote