E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 85 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
PA SOFT 1.4 Windows 7 64bit BMW Scanner How to install DIY HELP

Edit: Oh yeah, in case you're all wondering. I am in no way responsible for any damages caused to you, or your car, or your bmw scanner for any of this. This worked for me. I have tried it on windows 7 home premium 64 bit, as well as windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. It worked for me, it might work for you.

I have noticed that some people are having quite a bit of trouble installing this on the 64bit side, even though there are already threads telling them how. After reading through many of them, they only provide partial instructions, instructions even myself, an expert (on a scale between novice, advanced, expert, master) computer user struggled, that is for a few hours. It did make my head boggle up though. So here it is ladies and gents.

Go ahead and install the bmw scanner software. After you're done, plug the scanner into your OBD2 port, without having it plugged into your computer. Wait like 5 seconds (not 100% you even need to wait the 5 sec). Then, plug it in. Your computer will try several things. It'll attempt to find the driver and succeed, or not. Doesn't matter.

Go to http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm and scroll down to the box with listing of drivers of different operating systems. Since we're doing windows, I'm only covering that. The 1st row shows windows. All the way at the right hand side, under comments, you'll see "setup executable". You can download the drivers themselves but this thing does it all for you. Much easier. Once downloaded, install it. A black DOS like window pops up and installs it. The box usually disappears in like 5 seconds.

Once done, go to control panel, then device manager and right click on bmw scanner (usually under other devices) to select update driver software.

Select the option "Browse my computer for driver software". Then pick Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. Select towards the bottom "Universal serial bus controllers. On the next screen, on the left hand side under manufacturer, look for FTDI. When you click on it, to the right, select USB Serial Converter. Then click next. A message will pop up saying armageddon will reign down upon you and your computer if you install this and it isn't compatible. I decided to go for it and take the risk. Once installed, open up your bmw scanner software and start messing with all your options.

Have fun!

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 09-05-2012 at 07:05 PM.
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
might work for my buddy, ill send him the link...

But have anyone try yet?
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Yes it works. I did this before.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Fajitas

My Ride: 04 E46
subd
Fajitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
xcar360
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW 318i
xcar360's online service my be can help you
xcar360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:22 AM   #6
gueste46
Banned User

Thanks for a great installation guide. It was easy to follow and worked perfectly.

However, I was disappointed in the scanner. It threw up a few minor error codes but most items it just said "not found".

What options are you referring to? Other than a scan I could not see any options.

Am I missing something?
gueste46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
Page 1 and 2 should have the majority of the modules available. Most of page 3 modules are blank and not applicable to your car. Your key needs to be on so the modules can be read while scanning.You may have more issues than that,but I am just noting the basic.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 09-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
scarede46er

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
I just got my cable yesterday. Can I start the car before using the cable so as to not let the battery drain?
scarede46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
Thanks for a great installation guide. It was easy to follow and worked perfectly.

However, I was disappointed in the scanner. It threw up a few minor error codes but most items it just said "not found".

What options are you referring to? Other than a scan I could not see any options.

Am I missing something?
How many modules showed up?

I get about 80% of the first page only. The rest depends on your model, and software/hardware versions.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
FastHackem

My Ride: E60 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarede46er View Post
I just got my cable yesterday. Can I start the car before using the cable so as to not let the battery drain?
Yes, I had my car running the entire time. No issues.

The Mind Is A Terrible Thing.
2006 M5
2005 Impreza WRX
2002 330i
1983 944
FastHackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
FastHackem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
Edit: Oh yeah, in case you're all wondering. I am in no way responsible for any damages caused to you, or your car, or your bmw scanner for any of this. This worked for me. I have tried it on windows 7 home premium 64 bit, as well as windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. It worked for me, it might work for you.

I have noticed that some people are having quite a bit of trouble installing this on the 64bit side, even though there are already threads telling them how. After reading through many of them, they only provide partial instructions, instructions even myself, an expert (on a scale between novice, advanced, expert, master) computer user struggled, that is for a few hours. It did make my head boggle up though. So here it is ladies and gents.

Go ahead and install the bmw scanner software. After you're done, plug the scanner into your OBD2 port, without having it plugged into your computer. Wait like 5 seconds (not 100% you even need to wait the 5 sec). Then, plug it in. Your computer will try several things. It'll attempt to find the driver and succeed, or not. Doesn't matter.

Go to http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm and scroll down to the box with listing of drivers of different operating systems. Since we're doing windows, I'm only covering that. The 1st row shows windows. All the way at the right hand side, under comments, you'll see "setup executable". You can download the drivers themselves but this thing does it all for you. Much easier. Once downloaded, install it. A black DOS like window pops up and installs it. The box usually disappears in like 5 seconds.

Once done, go to control panel, then device manager and right click on bmw scanner (usually under other devices) to select update driver software.

Select the option "Browse my computer for driver software". Then pick Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. Select towards the bottom "Universal serial bus controllers. On the next screen, on the left hand side under manufacturer, look for FTDI. When you click on it, to the right, select USB Serial Converter. Then click next. A message will pop up saying armageddon will reign down upon you and your computer if you install this and it isn't compatible. I decided to go for it and take the risk. Once installed, open up your bmw scanner software and start messing with all your options.

Have fun!
You can also just download a secure program from microsoft, Windows XP Mode and Virtual PC: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

Worked the first time for me. (Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit)

2006 M5
2005 Impreza WRX
2002 330i
1983 944

Last edited by FastHackem; 09-18-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #12
FastHackem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post

Am I missing something?
This took me a while to figure out as well. After the scan, double click on the various "found" modules. Another screen will pop up, click the option on the left side that says someting about coding or recoding. Wish I was able to send a step by step process with pictures but I'm at work. There are really only a couple of the modules that I messed with, alarm (parking lights flash, clown nose), daytime running lights US. Just click around but be careful not to click the wrong thing.

2006 M5
2005 Impreza WRX
2002 330i
1983 944
Old 09-19-2012, 03:54 AM   #13
NumbaOneNewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarede46er View Post
Unless you have an 11 year old battery, which should be switched out, then you should be good.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #14
NumbaOneNewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastHackem View Post
You can also just download a secure program from microsoft, Windows XP Mode and Virtual PC: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

Worked the first time for me. (Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit)
But is that an option for non windows 7 ultimate 64 bit users?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
FastHackem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
But is that an option for non windows 7 ultimate 64 bit users?
This is from Microsoft "works only with Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise". So either 32 or 64 bit since it doesn't specify.

2006 M5
2005 Impreza WRX
2002 330i
1983 944
Old 09-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #16
NumbaOneNewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastHackem View Post
This is from Microsoft "works only with Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise". So either 32 or 64 bit since it doesn't specify.
Yeah so I guess the majority of the 64bit win 7 users on home premium will benefit most from this.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #17
TRIPLE_O

My Ride: E46 Coupe
Just wanted to let you guys know that I installed Virtual PC on a Windows 7 64 bit Home OS. I found a youtube link and followed that and all worked well. I have a couple of coding laptops and I wanted to put the software on there. Microsoft just like BMW will want you to believe that things only work a certain way...we all know the truth to that

3 Series Owners Manuals
http://www.bmwsections.com/docs/3series/

For Sale (Exterior Lights)

..sincerely Jenny
TRIPLE_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #18
NumbaOneNewb

I have it set up through vmware and straight through windows 7 by way of the method I stated above. however, I do notice a drawback with it being on the native windows platform. from time to time, when I attempt to connect to the car, it doesn't recognize it, stating ike can't be found. now it might have something to do with the fact that i had recently used ncs expert through windows xp vmware. when I switch out cables and use ncs expert, I select an option allowing it to switch that usb port over to vmware when I'm done i have to switch it back and it may be messing with the driver. small inconvenience since if that causes any frustration, I just switch back to windows xp vmware and connect with the coding software. it takes a little more time and is slower through the virtual emulator but works nonetheless.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:54 AM   #19
NumbaOneNewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPLE_O View Post
Just wanted to let you guys know that I installed Virtual PC on a Windows 7 64 bit Home OS. I found a youtube link and followed that and all worked well. I have a couple of coding laptops and I wanted to put the software on there. Microsoft just like BMW will want you to believe that things only work a certain way...we all know the truth to that
Yeah i know what you mean. I just coded my own transponder in order for me to obtain a spare key. I also found out bmw bs about a lot more, like not being able to clone keys, lies, not being able to have more than 10 keys (not at the same time mind you) total for an ews, lies, not being able to duplicate the ews rolling code, lies, and I'm sure if I could do it with my own keys I should be able to take my keys and code it to another person's ews, lies! My whole life as a bmw owner has all been lies. I don't know what the truth is anymore! Well, the truth is I uncovered a lot of lies by bmw.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 10-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #20
Fooljam

My Ride: 5
Use that on 64 bits at your own risk guys.
You are already using a clone interface made in China originally made by PA Soft in Russia, already BMW Scanner is not 100% sound, so over a a cloned interface on a 64 bits systems, yeah that looks alright, but you are taking risks that can be costly.
Fooljam is offline   Reply With Quote