E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
So....the "consensus" on global warming was a crock all along?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1258...IDDLTopStories

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSJ
climate scientists revealed that their own research wasn't always conclusive. In others, they discussed ways to paper over differences among themselves in order to present a "unified" view on climate change. On at least one occasion, climate scientists were asked to "beef up" conclusions about climate change and extreme weather events because environmental officials in one country were planning a "big public splash."
Cliffs:

1. English university network hacked and climatology emails leaked
2. Many emails among the various climatologists found inconclusive results in their studies
3. Other emails exchanged between climatologists were in collusion to "strengthen" their results ahead of political events about climate change

Can the leftist "greens" stop pretending that there is a "consensus" behind the "scientific community" on climate change? Maybe when they do that, they'll also admit they don't need to "invest" (read: subsidize) in "green" energy sources that are an order of magnitude more expensive than proven energy sources such as nuclear, natural gas, coal, and oil.

So, guys? Is global warming going to doom us all or was it just a political stunt by a certain group of self-interested scientists and politicians?
Old 11-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
yeah, 'global warming' has always been, nothing more than a liberal agenda, designed to make us 'feel bad' about how we treat the earth.

That said, we have a responsibility to be responsible with the resources of the earth. I will be 'green' but it stops at things that will affect my quality of life. ie. driving a prius, ccfl bulbs, painting my roof white, buying carbon offsets. all stupid things in the name of al gore.

All this 'go green' crap is nauseating.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi

Gore:"the interior of the earth is extremely hot, several million degrees..."

Fact: the earth is only up to 7000 degrees.

Why we listen to this idiot, I have no idea.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
Guest100615
Account closed per your request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
yeah, 'global warming' has always been, nothing more than a liberal agenda, designed to make us 'feel bad' about how we treat the earth.

That said, we have a responsibility to be responsible with the resources of the earth. I will be 'green' but it stops at things that will affect my quality of life. ie. driving a prius, ccfl bulbs, painting my roof white, buying carbon offsets. all stupid things in the name of al gore.

All this 'go green' crap is nauseating.
Agreed.

I have never understood why so many people worship Al Gore like a god.
Just because an ex vice president narrates a movie doing voice overs does not make him an expert on climate change and meterology. And the movie's facts can be refuted many times over. The movie is fiction, not fact.

I have no problem being environmentally conscious as long as I am not inconvienced or it costs more. I buy the energy saving light bulbs and I separate my plastic and paper for recycling on trash day. But I am not going to change my lifestyle or drive a prius just because it is pc and I can drive in the HOA lane.
Guest100615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Yes, it's all a ruse. Can't pull one over on you guys.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
SLVR JDM

My Ride: 4Runner
Bunch of BS. I think we should not go out of our way to destroy the environment and to treat it respectfully, but don't give me this BS about us changing the temperature of the earth and disrupting things significantly. It is completely arrogant to think that the earth which (according to many, probably 100% of greenies) is millions+ years old....then we came along in 150 years and f'd it all up. Sorry, not buying it - you'd have to be retarded to do so. There is plenty of inconclusive research and conflicting results, as suggested by the OP.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
Guest100615
Account closed per your request

If anyone is destroying the environment it is the Russians,Chinese and Indians.

I don't think they have ever heard of environmental regulation
Guest100615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
palindrome

My Ride: ...
The jig is up!

Last edited by Palindrome; December 4, 1986.
palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
DKman

My Ride: 325xi
I don't think it's a ruse, but I also wouldn't be surprised if there is political pressure on the scientific community to present a unified front to further the green agenda. The fact is we won't see a shift to green technology on either the supply or demand side until it becomes economically beneficial to do so.
DKman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
zhp6mt

My Ride: 03 330i ZHP 6MT
Released right before the Global Climate meeting. More lies exposed by Hackers. As a respone this was then immedietly released.
http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/pro...22&id=10756709
WASHINGTON (AP) - Since the 1997 international accord to fight global warming, climate change has worsened and accelerated - beyond some of the grimmest of warnings made back then.

More BS
Old 11-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Scientists do not become rich or famous by doing their job.

The world-wide consensus IS that global warming is indeed an observed phenomenon. Only the US has there been a concerted, well-funded effort to dispute this. The way they do it is not by facts, but by loudness. I am not surprised that people whose hard work is getting buried by efforts of lobbies are going to get pissed off and use harsh language in an e-mail.

Last edited by 'busa; 11-22-2009 at 07:30 PM.
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #12
zhp6mt

My Ride: 03 330i ZHP 6MT
Scientists do not become rich or famous by doing their job.--
Thats crazy and I can back it up with the handfull of Scientists I have in my family who are both rich and one is famous..
Old 11-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #13
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp6mt View Post
Scientists do not become rich or famous by doing their job.--
Thats crazy and I can back it up with the handfull of Scientists I have in my family who are both rich and one is famous..
Creationism is not a science.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:37 PM   #14
dmon_101

My Ride: has sexy fogs/shoes
Send a message via AIM to dmon_101
to answer the OP's question: yes. but anyone who did even the smallest bit of actual research knows this.

Dealer Programmable Options | Projector Fogs FTW
There are a lot of Fs and too many Ks in the F/M/K scenario <- posted before I met my wife
To answer your question, it's something you can find by searching the forum or using Google
dmon_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:06 PM   #15
ThE GrEAt OnE

My Ride: has a 3 pointed star
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Bunch of BS. I think we should not go out of our way to destroy the environment and to treat it respectfully, but don't give me this BS about us changing the temperature of the earth and disrupting things significantly. It is completely arrogant to think that the earth which (according to many, probably 100% of greenies) is millions+ years old....then we came along in 150 years and f'd it all up. Sorry, not buying it - you'd have to be retarded to do so. There is plenty of inconclusive research and conflicting results, as suggested by the OP.
4.6 billion

ThE GrEAt OnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #16
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
You guys need to stop listening to the inventor of the internet.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #17
SLVR JDM

My Ride: 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE GrEAt OnE View Post
4.6 billion
Using that number, which I know that many do, it makes our impact (and the associated degree of arrogance) even more laughable.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #18
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
I have no clue about this..It is 60 here in MI, mid November.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #19
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
You guys need to stop listening to the inventor of the internet.
cereal
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #20
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier7 View Post
Can the leftist "greens" stop pretending that there is a "consensus" behind the "scientific community" on climate change? Maybe when they do that, they'll also admit they don't need to "invest" (read: subsidize) in "green" energy sources that are an order of magnitude more expensive than proven energy sources such as nuclear, natural gas, coal, and oil.

So, guys? Is global warming going to doom us all or was it just a political stunt by a certain group of self-interested scientists and politicians?
Not being a leftist "greenie" (just a leftist ) It is worth noting that plenty of science research has been manipulated to suit a certain political agenda. From Copernicus & Galileo to stem cell research & human cloning.

There is a good amount of hard evidence that reducing CO2 emissions is good for the planet and its population. Is investment in "going green" a bad idea, IMO, no. The research & development in alternate technologies is probably a long term net win. (Although wind power is a joke. The grid doesn't take kindly to such voltage drops.) It is doubtful that we would have some of today's technologies without it. The internet springs to mind. (And yes, Al SOOOO did NOT invent it. Gore is nothing more than a windbag. And for a dufus like him to try and take any credit for it is beyond the pale.)

However, in my professional area, "going green" is a real money saver. With 10%+ of the electricity in this country going towards computing, reducing consumption in that area saves big money. 15 years ago (in the commercial and government space) it took 1.5 to 2.0 times as much energy to cool a computer system than it took to run it. With "green" technologies, not only has the computing operations per erg of energy used gone down, it is reasonable to now have computing environments that only use 0.3 times the energy to cool than is consumed. And the use of these technologies has changed the physical build out of new computer rooms. And at lower costs.
And created jobs, and tech that most people take for granted. Do you like having your cellphone or digital camera? The tech that drives that is "green tech". Flash memory (usb sticks, flashcards, and solid state disk drives aka ssd) were developed to do one thing, reduce energy consumption. Do you have any idea how much more energy it takes to run a standard hard drive? try 3 to 5 times more than flash. And with the application of Moore's law, in 15 years or less, a 2TB USB stick should be about $20. (Yes that is Terabyte, with a "T" kiddies). And with smarter filesystems, it is probable that a .5 Petabyte "hard drive" that takes as much space as a 2.5 in disk drive today will be possible and use half the energy. So you could hold an estimated 1/6th of the entire library of congress on your laptop. the entire LOC on 12 hard drives (because you still want to mirror it) or maybe 24 (if you wanted to z-stripe it, probably a better idea) And its flash, the access to the data would be 6x or faster.
And all from needing to "go green".

quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Last edited by rdsesq; 11-23-2009 at 01:42 PM.
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote