E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Capitalism provides priceless benefits...

"Bill Gates: Here's My Plan to Improve Our World"

Quote:

But like anyone with a mild obsession, I think mine is entirely justified. Two out of every five people on Earth today owe their lives to the higher crop outputs that fertilizer has made possible. It helped fuel the Green Revolution, an explosion of agricultural productivity that lifted hundreds of millions of people around the world out of poverty.

These days I get to spend a lot of time trying to advance innovation that improves people's lives in the same way that fertilizer did. Let me reiterate this: A full 40 percent of Earth's population is alive today because, in 1909, a German chemist named Fritz Haber figured out how to make synthetic ammonia. Another example: Polio cases are down more than 99 percent in the past 25 years, not because the disease is going away on its own but because Albert Sabin and Jonas Salk invented polio vaccines and the world rolled out a massive effort to deliver them.

We want to give our wealth back to society in a way that has the most impact, and so we look for opportunities to invest for the largest returns. That means tackling the world's biggest problems and funding the most likely solutions. That's an even greater challenge than it sounds. I don't have a magic formula for prioritizing the world's problems. You could make a good case for poverty, disease, hunger, war, poor education, bad governance, political instability, weak trade, or mistreatment of women. Melinda and I have focused on poverty and disease globally, and on education in the US. We picked those issues by starting with an idea we learned from our parents: Everyone's life has equal value.

I have known since my early thirties that I was going to give my wealth back to society. The success of Microsoft provided me with an enormous fortune, and I felt responsible for using it in a thoughtful way. I had read a lot about how governments underinvest in basic scientific research. I thought, that's a big mistake. If we don't give scientists the room to deepen our fundamental understanding of the world, we won't provide a basis for the next generation of innovations. I figured, therefore, that I could help the most by creating an institute where the best minds would come to do research.

This realization led me to rethink some of my assumptions about how the world improves. I am a devout fan of capitalism. It is the best system ever devised for making self-interest serve the wider interest. This system is responsible for many of the great advances that have improved the lives of billions-from airplanes to air-conditioning to computers.

But capitalism alone can't address the needs of the very poor. This means market-driven innovation can actually widen the gap between rich and poor. I saw firsthand just how wide that gap was when I visited a slum in Durban, South Africa, in 2009. Seeing the open-pit latrine there was a humbling reminder of just how much I take modern plumbing for granted.

Governments don't do enough to drive innovation either. Although aid from the rich world saves a lot of lives, governments habitually underinvest in research and development, especially for the poor. For one thing, they're averse to risk, given the eagerness of political opponents to exploit failures, so they have a hard time giving money to a bunch of innovators with the knowledge that many of them will fail.

Technology is unlocking the innate compassion we have for our fellow human beings. In the end, that combination-the advances of science together with our emerging global conscience-may be the most powerful tool we have for improving the world.
More in the article.

http://www.wired.com/2013/11/bill-ga...red-essay/all/

Cliffs: Capitalism creates competition which drives innovation and with innovation we can combat and solve global issues. Governments need to harness and lead efforts to ensure innovation is reaching all corners of the globe.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 06-22-2014 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1403476906
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
*For the 1%.

Quote:
If you ever want to see what I mean by the arbitrariness of categories, check the situation of polarized politics. The next time a Martian visits earth, try to explain to him to why those who favor allowing capital punishment also oppose the elimination of a fetus in the mother's womb.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
*For the 1%.
So you don't use windows? Office? Etc? You still rockin a typewriter gramps?
Old 06-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
*For the 1%.
If nothing else, at least you are consistent.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #5
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
If nothing else, at least you are consistent.
Which means he is predictable.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
Old 06-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #6
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Your cliffs are inaccurate. Competition drives innovation.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #7
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Your cliffs are inaccurate. Competition drives innovation.
Competition stems from capitalism and the free market, therefore it can be used as an umbrella word here.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:44 PM   #8
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Competition stems from capitalism and the free market, therefore it can be used as an umbrella word here.
Not entirely. Nice try tho.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #9
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Not entirely. Nice try tho.
Explain your view
Old 06-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Explain your view
Innovation cost money.
Capitialism seeks to max profits.
Capitialists would rather stem innovation in order to maximize short term profits.
Because of the free market capitialists are forced to compete to stay relevant.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #11
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Innovation cost money.
Capitialists would rather stem innovation in order to maximize short term profits.
Not entirely. Depends on the company and who's at the helm as well as who the shareholders and stakeholders are.

Profits allow growth thus allowing innovation to continue to be generated.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:05 PM   #12
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2005 330cic ZHP
Quote:
Innovation cost money.
You don't understand capitalism if you really believe that third line.
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #13
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
You don't understand capitalism if you really believe that third line.
Is that 3rd line 100% false or 100% true?
Old 06-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #14
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Innovation cost money.
You do realize that some "capitalists" see two moves down the road and see the earning potential. Not everyone looks to make $1 now rather than $5 later.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #15
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
You do realize that some "capitalists" see two moves down the road and see the earning potential. Not everyone looks to make $1 now rather than $5 later.
Quote:
I suppose the question applies to you aswell.

The long road short road view is another good debate, especially on how it can relate to min wage, and other things. Perhaps another thread.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:12 PM   #16
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
I suppose the question applies to you aswell.

The long road short road view is another good debate, especially on how it can relate to min wage, and other things. Perhaps another thread.
To answer your 100% question the answer would be neither....it depends on the CEO......some have a personal attachment to the company (like Steve Jobs) and they do things for the long haul. Some want to prove their worth, and will run the company damn near into the ground (for the future) only to make a buck today, to make themselves look better. It's honestly a dumb system (the corporate world) but it is what it is. Small business owners in that regard are often better at planning or caring for the future vs some suit.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #17
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
Question will go 100% unanswered.

Quote:
If you ever want to see what I mean by the arbitrariness of categories, check the situation of polarized politics. The next time a Martian visits earth, try to explain to him to why those who favor allowing capital punishment also oppose the elimination of a fetus in the mother's womb.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:42 PM   #18
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Question will go 100% unanswered.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:53 PM   #19
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
I wonder how much Mr Gates would be in favor of innovation if it involves the investment of all technology money away from a company in which he owns so much stock and into companies that produce unix based systems, and X11 protocols rather than windows variants?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:27 PM   #20
HacksawMark
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
I wonder how much Mr Gates would be in favor of innovation if it involves the investment of all technology money away from a company in which he owns so much stock and into companies that produce unix based systems, and X11 protocols rather than windows variants?

I wonder how much your question makes no sense at all......