E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:32 PM   #1
bimmerfan08

My Ride: F
Democrats fret over timing of Clintons’ charity fete

You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours

Quote:
They fear the glitzy confab will provide fresh ammunition to Republicans, a week before the first debate between Clinton and Trump.

Hundreds of corporate executives, foreign dignitaries and celebrities will pile into a Manhattan ballroom to hobnob with Bill and Chelsea Clinton next month at their charity’s keynote annual event — just days before Hillary Clinton defends herself against pay-to-play accusations from Donald Trump in their first debate.

The 12th and final annual meeting of the Clinton Global Initiative will showcase its philanthropic work and also the Democratic nominee’s greatest potential vulnerability — her ties to a sprawling global charity that has accepted donations from Middle Eastern governments, foreign businessmen with checkered histories and major corporations with business before the government.

Some Democratic operatives say they’re dismayed by the timing of the three-day conference Sept. 19-21 — a week before the first national debate and seven weeks before Election Day. They say it’s inevitable that having two members of the former and perhaps future first family rubbing shoulders with the well-heeled and well-connected will provide fresh ammunition to the Republican campaign, even as Hillary Clinton is off honing rebuttals to charges that donors got special consideration from the government while she was Secretary of State.

"Some might suggest that the Clinton Global Initiative is simply a glitzy week of highlighting troubling donors," said Democratic strategist Hank Sheinkopf. "Others will see it as an annual event highlighting distinctive international issues. In the debate, Trump will see it as ammunition to batter the Democrat."

"The timing is obviously not good," said one Clinton veteran, adding that it was probably unavoidable. “These events get planned months and months and months in advance and canceling it on short notice is not possible."

Trump is likely to intensify his critiques of the foundation after the resignation Friday of his former campaign chair, Paul Manafort, whose murky financial ties to Russia and pro-Russian Ukrainian officials undercut the force of Trump’s argument on the Clintons’ relationships with foreign donors and governments.

While GOP nominee Mitt Romney addressed the conference four years ago, this year, Republicans are using charges of cronyism and favorable access for Clinton Foundation donors as a key line of attack against the Democratic nominee.

Bill Clinton’s announcement Thursday that he and his daughter, Chelsea, would stop raising money for the foundation and turn over operations to independent parties if Hillary Clinton wins the presidency will likely be overshadowed by media attention on this year’s confab.

The foundation has not disclosed this year’s sponsors, and it’s unclear whether the announcement Thursday will serve as a last call — bringing in a flood of cash before the spigot is turned off, or underscore how fraught donations might appear in the middle of a presidential campaign, and give potential contributors a reason to pass.

As of Friday, three heads of state — Argentinian President Mauricio Macri, Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi and Serbian Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic — were listed as speakers.

The price of admission is steep: For a $20,000 annual membership fee, corporations and nonprofits can secure an invitation for their top executive to mingle with the likes of Angelina Jolie, Bill Gates and Queen Rania of Jordan, while brainstorming projects to address problems ranging from poverty and climate change to elephant poaching.

The CGI event, which is timed to coincide with the United Nations General Assembly, has traditionally been a more glamorous version of the proceedings a few blocks away, drawing Nobel laureates, Hollywood celebrities, leading CEOs and heads of state. The meetings have “convened more than 190 sitting and former heads of state” since they started in 2005, according to the foundation’s website.

"To wind down something that is that substantive and that impactful is not easily done,” said Clinton campaign and foundation donor Jay Jacobs. “… Whatever hits, unfair as they may be, may come the way of President Clinton or the candidate Hillary, or the foundation, there are some things that just transcend politics."

The conference has also been linked to less glittery names; it was at the 2009 meeting that the “Clinton Global Citizen” award for “excellence in public service” went to Rwandan President Paul Kagame, whose economic success in the country has been matched by human rights abuses and accusations of violence against his opponents.

The political spotlight on this year’s meeting may be off-putting to some of the meeting’s usual sponsors.

Barclays will not sponsor the event again this year, according to people familiar with the bank’s plans. Several other past sponsors have not finalized their commitments and at least one is leaning against participating this year.

A handful of the 33 listed sponsors of last year’s conference confirmed to POLITICO that they are signing on again as sponsors, including Procter & Gamble, Microsoft, the Ford Foundation and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Current and former sponsors include corporations in heavily regulated industries that stand to benefit from favorable government relations, from banking to pharmaceuticals to energy.

Twenty-nine of the 30 Dow Jones Industrial Average index companies have been linked to the Clintons’ sprawling charities, Bloomberg reported in 2014. Twenty-five contributed to the foundation, and 27 committed to charitable projects through the Clinton Global Initiative, according to the report. UnitedHealth Group Inc. was the single holdout.

Even a year ago, the swirl of negative headlines — detailing the overlap between contributors to the charity and the Clinton presidential campaign, lapses in donor disclosure and cases where foundation donors received favorable government actions — was already putting off wary donors and invitees, five months after Clinton had announced her candidacy. She stayed away from last year’s proceedings as she is doing this year.

Several high-profile invitees, from Mark Zuckerberg to Pope Francis, declined to attend, POLITICO reported at the time. Obama and prominent members of his administration who’d spoken in the past also steered clear of the event.

Meanwhile, Dow, ExxonMobil, PwC, Samsung, and foreign banks HSBC and Deutsche Bank declined to renew their sponsorships. Still, a few new corporations joined last year, including Gap Inc. and the Middle Eastern construction giant Consolidated Contractors Company.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...debates-227223
"Man is the religious animal. He is the only religious animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion – several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat, if his theology isn’t straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother’s path to happiness and heaven."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #2
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Yep. She's got her financial roots all entangled in the game. I hate what our politics has become. Enough with the dynasty families.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:12 PM   #3
ed17331

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
I hate what our politics has become. Enough with the dynasty families.
Yep. No more Clintons. No more Bushes. That is the past.

I'll take a Gary Johnson or Trump all day long.
ed17331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #4
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed17331 View Post
I'll take a Gary Johnson or Trump all day long.
Unfortunately the system isn't going to give Johnson a chance. And Trump is just another obscenely rich white guy that has no clue about what America needs. I believe a Trump presidency will make things great for the wealthy, banks and big corporate... at the expense of everyone else... as per the status quo. Exactly what we don't need more of.

No matter what happens, we're all fvcked.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:24 PM   #5
ed17331

Quote:
Unfortunately the system isn't going to give Johnson a chance. And Trump is just another obscenely rich white guy that has no clue about what America needs. I believe a Trump presidency will make things great for the wealthy, banks and big corporate... at the expense of everyone else... as per the status quo. Exactly what we don't need more of.

No matter what happens, we're all fvcked.
Agree that Gary Johnson has no chance. He won't even get in the debates. That's fatal.

Trump, on the other hand, has a very good chance to win. And while many are skeptical of his motives, it's entirely possible that he is sincere and doing it for all the right reasons. He's got money. He's got fame. He's already built a business empire. Maybe now he looks at the feckless leadership and ineptitude of our political elite and thinks he can do a far better job for the American people and the future of this country that he loves. And then he has the balls to actually make a run for it.

Whether he (and the team he brings in) can actually solve complex long standing problems facing this country remains to be seen, but I believe he is sincere in his desire to try.

There is no denying that Trump is a rich white guy (OK, maybe a little on the orange side of white), but since when is that a disqualifier? And the difference with Trump, is that he is not beholden to the wealthy, the banks, big corporations, pharmaceutical companies, or any other special interests. He is not bought and paid for. He is not in the pockets of his donors (like Hillary is). Trump is free to do the right thing for the people. All the people: rich and poor, black and white, employed and unemployed, etc.

Now we can argue all day long about exactly what is the right thing to do for this or that specific issue (and we have), but the point I am making here is that Trump is free to make the best call for the people, without the corrupting financial influence of global donors around the world (including foreign governments and businesses).

Trump would be an effective change agent for those who frustrated with the status quo and don't think we are headed in the right direction after eight years of Obama.

Frankly, I don't see any evidence that he is insincere about his willingness and desire to lead this country and help the American people (all of them).
Old 08-20-2016, 03:47 PM   #6
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
IMHO, we have nothing to lose with Trump. Hillary is a guaranteed corrupt disaster, Trump may be one as well, or he may actually have enough ego to try and be the "greatest president of all time" and prove the naysayers wrong....you can only do that with a massive ego.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:49 PM   #7
ed17331

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
IMHO, we have nothing to lose with Trump. Hillary is a guaranteed corrupt disaster, Trump may be one as well, or he may actually have enough ego to try and be the "greatest president of all time" and prove the naysayers wrong....you can only do that with a massive ego.
And there is no disputing the massive size of Trumps ego.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:22 PM   #8
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
And there is no disputing the massive size of Trumps ego.
Hell hath no fury like someone out to prove people wrong. One of my biggest qualifiers when hiring for upper management, is if they are trying to prove something to someone, always a sign of a winner.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:27 PM   #9
bimmerfan08

My Ride: F
Quote:
Hell hath no fury like someone out to prove people wrong. One of my biggest qualifiers when hiring for upper management, is if they are trying to prove something to someone, always a sign of a winner.
"Man is the religious animal. He is the only religious animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion – several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat, if his theology isn’t straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother’s path to happiness and heaven."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:38 PM   #10
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
I'll take a possible scumbag over a definite scumbag

Herbert Camacho '16

"Every age has its peculiar folly: Some scheme, project, or fantasy into which it plunges, spurred on by the love of gain, the necessity of excitement, or the force of imitation." - Charles Mackay Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (1841)
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #11
joeski3d

Quote:
Trump would be an effective change agent for those who frustrated with the status quo and don't think we are headed in the right direction after eight years of Obama.

Frankly, I don't see any evidence that he is insincere about his willingness and desire to lead this country and help the American people (all of them).
My problem with him is that his vision of America isn't the America I was brought up to believe in.

Racism: He clearly has it out for Muslims. When last I checked we, as a nation, pride ourselves on religious freedom. His extreme vetting proposal is very subjective to racism and will instead be extreme divisiveness. He also has a fear of Mexicans... especially those that are in a position to judge him. There are many legal Mexican-Americans. And he's found a way to piss off just about every single one of them. He also has a family history of anti-black sentiments.

http://fortune.com/2016/06/07/donald...racism-quotes/

Fascism: Trump seems to see everything as winner / great / strong / best /hot or loser / failure /weak / worst /ugly. There is no finesse... there is no gray area. There are only two possible answers to anything. Yes or no... and if no, well, "you're fired" is sure to follow. Reality need not even apply. It's all about what he sees. And his opinions are highly subjective to him and him alone. He couldn't give a rats ass about what the American people think. He's impulsive and egocentric. He expects to run the country without any understanding or respect for the checks and balances that a Presidency must contend with... and lets face it, those bounds have been a lot looser than they should be as of late.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...-he-or-isnt-he

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:43 PM   #12
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I'll take a possible scumbag over a definite scumbag
That would disqualify both major contenders. What is your basis of comparison? Where do you set the bar?

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:54 PM   #13
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
My problem with him is that his vision of America isn't the America I was brought up to believe in.

Racism: He clearly has it out for Muslims. When last I checked we, as a nation, pride ourselves on religious freedom. His extreme vetting proposal is very subjective to racism and will instead be extreme divisiveness. He also has a fear of Mexicans... especially those that are in a position to judge him. There are many legal Mexican-Americans. And he's found a way to piss off just about every single one of them. He also has a family history of anti-black sentiments.

http://fortune.com/2016/06/07/donald...racism-quotes/

Fascism: Trump seems to see everything as winner / great / strong / best /hot or loser / failure /weak / worst /ugly. There is no finesse... there is no gray area. There are only two possible answers to anything. Yes or no... and if no, well, "you're fired" is sure to follow. Reality need not even apply. It's all about what he sees. And his opinions are highly subjective to him and him alone. He couldn't give a rats ass about what the American people think. He's impulsive and egocentric. He expects to run the country without any understanding or respect for the checks and balances that a Presidency must contend with... and lets face it, those bounds have been a lot looser than they should be as of late.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...-he-or-isnt-he
Meh, leftist argument, if you are pro regular marriage, you hate gays, etc. Trump isn't anti mexican. He's anti illegal immigrant, many of whom are NOT mexican (although come through mexico) and Mexico as a nation (government) sh!tting on the US constantly. Islam is a legitimate threat, and vetting muslim immigrants is not racist, especially from conflict zones. If we don't have the capacity to vet someone, they we don't let them in until the mechanisms are in place. This is nothing new, we already have a lot of these laws on the books, we just don't enforce most of them. It isn't racism, it's common sense.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 08-20-2016 at 04:55 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #14
ed17331

Quote:
Meh, leftist argument, if you are pro regular marriage, you hate gays, etc. Trump isn't anti mexican. He's anti illegal immigrant, many of whom are NOT mexican (although come through mexico) and Mexico as a nation (government) sh!tting on the US constantly. Islam is a legitimate threat, and vetting muslim immigrants is not racist, especially from conflict zones. If we don't have the capacity to vet someone, they we don't let them in until the mechanisms are in place. This is nothing new, we already have a lot of these laws on the books, we just don't enforce most of them. It isn't racism, it's common sense.
^this

Plus: joeski3d is making Trump out to be a complete imbecile. If Trump was as completely clueless as Joe thinks, he never would have been as successful in business as he has been.

Don't get me wrong: there are plenty of asshats in the business world, but it's not easy to find a self made multi-billionaire who is as completely clueless and idiotic as you are claiming Trump is.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #15
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Common sense == racism

In the 21st century.

BMW Wiki: http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php

E46Fanatics inspiration Robolop: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...87566&page=101

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 82
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:18 PM   #16
joeski3d

Quote:
Meh, leftist argument, if you are pro regular marriage, you hate gays, etc. Trump isn't anti mexican.
Really? Then why does he think a judge of Mexican decent cant rule fairly on a case involving Trump?

Quote:
In an interview, Mr. Trump said U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel had “an absolute conflict” in presiding over the litigation given that he was “of Mexican heritage” and a member of a Latino lawyers’ association. Mr. Trump said the background of the judge, who was born in Indiana to Mexican immigrants, was relevant because of his campaign stance against illegal immigration and his pledge to seal the southern U.S. border. “I’m building a wall. It’s an inherent conflict of interest,” Mr. Trump said.
I'll tell you why. Because Trump is racist. If you can't see that then you are making a conscious choice to ignore the obvious.

Quote:
Islam is a legitimate threat, and vetting muslim immigrants is not racist, especially from conflict zones. If we don't have the capacity to vet someone, they we don't let them in until the mechanisms are in place. This is nothing new, we already have a lot of these laws on the books, we just don't enforce most of them. It isn't racism, it's common sense.
No. Radical extremists are a legitimate threat. The notion that we can secure our borders 100% and make the screening process like NJDMV on steroids is preposterous. Besides, what would extreme vetting entail exactly and how would it be fool proof? The worst part about Trump's racist views is that his support base considers what he says common sense.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:24 PM   #17
joeski3d

Quote:
^this

Plus: joeski3d is making Trump out to be a complete imbecile. If Trump was as completely clueless as Joe thinks, he never would have been as successful in business as he has been.

Don't get me wrong: there are plenty of asshats in the business world, but it's not easy to find a self made multi-billionaire who is as completely clueless and idiotic as you are claiming Trump is.
No... Trump is making Trump out to be a complete imbecile. I am just calling an imbecile an imbecile. And please, Trump was born with a million dollar spoon in his mouth. He is NOT self made. He is a product of his very wealthy father. He may be a good wheeler and dealer in the real estate biz... but that does not equate to making a good president. There are no parallels other than imagined ones here. He can be a hell of a deal maker but still be an out of touch, socially clueless, internationally recognized political moron who denies science.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:57 PM   #18
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Really? Then why does he think a judge of Mexican decent cant rule fairly on a case involving Trump?

I'll tell you why. Because Trump is racist. If you can't see that then you are making a conscious choice to ignore the obvious.

No. Radical extremists are a legitimate threat. The notion that we can secure our borders 100% and make the screening process like NJDMV on steroids is preposterous. Besides, what would extreme vetting entail exactly and how would it be fool proof? The worst part about Trump's racist views is that his support base considers what he says common sense.
If you're going to go all SJW and "racist all the things" then there is no point in a discussion. Trump employs plenty of latinos in management positions. Calling him a racist insults those that experience REAL racism. As to the last part of your statement, we already have "extreme vetting" in place, the requirements have simply been waived by Obama to flood more muslims from conflict regions in without actually looking into them. You can feel free to look up how the USCIS operates and the requirements for "normal" immigrants to try and come here, how much proof they need to provide, in all categories, be it asylum seekers, refugees or etc. It's a "rigged" system, just like all other government programs.

We are never going to agree on the dangers of Islamic ideology, so debating the dangers of it will be fruitless. I am solely discussing for the sake of this thread importing muslim refugees from nations where proper screening is simply not possible. End of story.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:07 PM   #19
ed17331

Quote:
No... Trump is making Trump out to be a complete imbecile. I am just calling an imbecile an imbecile. And please, Trump was born with a million dollar spoon in his mouth. He is NOT self made. He is a product of his very wealthy father. He may be a good wheeler and dealer in the real estate biz... but that does not equate to making a good president. There are no parallels other than imagined ones here. He can be a hell of a deal maker but still be an out of touch, socially clueless, internationally recognized political moron who denies science.
I think you are over-reaching to the point that it undermines the very argument you are trying to make.

Your hyperbole does not ring true.

And if you think it is possible to turn a million dollars into a billion dollars (or five billion dollars) while being an imbecile, then you don't even know what the word imbecile means. If you think it's easy, try turning a thousand dollars into a million dollars (and then do it a few thousand times, simultaneously).
Old 08-20-2016, 10:30 PM   #20
badfast

My Ride: A car
Quote:
Hundreds of corporate executives, foreign dignitaries and celebrities will pile into a Manhattan ballroom to hobnob with Bill and Chelsea Clinton next month at their charity's keynote annual event - just days before Hillary Clinton defends herself against pay-to-play accusations from Donald Trump in their first debate.
Funny enough. I know this event. I actually have the opportunity to go. To watch the Hult Prize award--1mil seed fund to help teams of students who developed some social impact startups that deal with raising people out of poverty. Sounds like a real boondoggle.

note: had to move to appropriate thread!
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote