E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2016, 01:26 PM   #1
DNTHATE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 93
Holy ****ing **** the UK is leaving the EU

God speed to those Brits for saving their country
DNTHATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pingpong, NK
Posts: 624
My Ride: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTHATE View Post
God speed to those Brits for saving their country
What did they save it from--a stable currency?

Last edited by badfast; 06-24-2016 at 01:48 PM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #3
randomdude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 102
My Ride: ZHP, 135, X1
Too bad it's causing the U.S. Stock markets to take a dump
randomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 335
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdude View Post
Too bad it's causing the U.S. Stock markets to take a dump
temporarily
__________________

Herbert Camacho '16

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." - Thomas Sowell
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:11 PM   #5
randomdude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 102
My Ride: ZHP, 135, X1
Our mortgage broker told us that it's going to make interest rates go up. I hope that's not the case because we're about to buy a house
randomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:17 PM   #6
DNTHATE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
What did they save it from--a stable currency?

I'd give up money for Liberty any day. It's not like the middle and lower class are going to be hurt by it, they'll be getting jobs back.
DNTHATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:20 PM   #7
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pingpong, NK
Posts: 624
My Ride: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTHATE View Post
I'd give up money for Liberty any day. It's not like the middle and lower class are going to be hurt by it, they'll be getting jobs back.
What liberty was gained?
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:59 PM   #8
Cabrio330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Dallas
Posts: 127
My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdude View Post
Our mortgage broker told us that it's going to make interest rates go up. I hope that's not the case because we're about to buy a house
You need a new mortgage broker.
__________________
Quote:
I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. -James Madison
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:37 PM   #9
Rhumb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 129
My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
I wonder if the BREXITers considered the very likely exit of Scotland, which voted overwhelmingly to stay EU, or even possibly Northern Ireland bolting too?

Shoot, even Londoners are circulating petitions (symbolic, presumably) to seceed and remain with the EU rather than stay with the old nativist rubes who voted to exit.

Last edited by Rhumb; 06-24-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:02 PM   #10
Cabrio330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Dallas
Posts: 127
My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
I wonder if the BREXITers considered the very likely exit of Scotland, which voted overwhelmingly to stay EU, or even possibly Northern Ireland bolting too?
Why would they care?
__________________
Quote:
I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. -James Madison
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:07 PM   #11
3coupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 338
My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTHATE View Post
I'd give up money for Liberty any day. It's not like the middle and lower class are going to be hurt by it, they'll be getting jobs back.
Please explain how. I honestly, at best, see them keeping the same level as before. Most likely a lot of companies with a big presence in the UK, using it as the EU headquarters, will move jobs to another country in the EU.
3coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:10 PM   #12
Rhumb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 129
My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
Why would they care?
I would suspect for many reasons - economic, cultural and historic. The main effect would be a significantly diminished Great Britain.

Given that a common refrain of the BREXITers was to somehow take the GB back to some golden age, the departures of Scotland and NI would be exactly counter to that sentiment.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:22 PM   #13
Cabrio330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Dallas
Posts: 127
My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
I would suspect for many reasons - economic, cultural and historic. The main effect would be a significantly diminished Great Britain.

Given that a common refrain of the BREXITers was to somehow take the GB back to some golden age, the departures of Scotland and NI would be exactly counter to that sentiment.
I know you assume all who disagree with you are intellectually inferior, but perhaps the BREXITers already considered those ramifications. Certainly most observers predicted difficult consequences would follow, and yet the BREXITers still won. Your arrogance leads you to conclude that they were merely stupid. Perhaps you should consider instead that they understood the consequences precisely, yet viewed the pain as being worth the cure.

Are you similarly confused when a cancer patient chooses a painful course of treatment?
__________________
Quote:
I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. -James Madison

Last edited by Cabrio330; 06-24-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:30 PM   #14
Rhumb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 129
My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
I know you assume all who disagree with you are intellectually inferior, but perhaps the BREXITers already considered those ramifications. Certainly most observers predicted difficult consequences would follow, and yet the BREXITers still won. Your arrogance leads you to conclude that they were merely stupid. Perhaps you should consider instead that they understood the consequences precisely, yet viewed the pain as being worth the cure.

Are you similarly confused when a cancer patient chooses a painful course of treatment?
Well, to be frank, I think the BREXITers were stupid, short sighted and ill informed. That the UK's suddenly biggest Google Search term was "EU" might tend to confirm that opinion.

Anyways, we'll all have to sit out and see what the actual repercussions of this will be. Undoubtedly they'll fall between disaster or bliss. What's the old Chinese curse: "To live in interesting times."
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:50 PM   #15
Cabrio330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Dallas
Posts: 127
My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Well, to be frank, I think the BREXITers were stupid, short sighted and ill informed. That the UK's suddenly biggest Google Search term was "EU" might tend to confirm that opinion.

Anyways, we'll all have to sit out and see what the actual repercussions of this will be. Undoubtedly they'll fall between disaster or bliss. What's the old Chinese curse: "To live in interesting times."
Not sure why you felt the need to be "frank" by posting the words I had already posted out of your mouth. Of course you think that way, because you are arrogant.

Can you not grasp that people are capable and willing to take drastic measures in pursuit of something they view as worthwhile? I don't want to assume what you know, so I will point out that hundreds of thousands of Americans have given their lives in pursuit of liberty. Do you consider them to be stupid, short-sighted and ill-informed as well?

I have long known that the liberal pathology doesn't allow your type to comprehend why a person would make an individual sacrifice for the good of complete strangers, but I am still surprised when I see that ignorance displayed, as you so often do. In contrast, I am never surprised when liberals push for complete strangers to sacrifice for their benefit.
__________________
Quote:
I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. -James Madison
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:09 AM   #16
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 335
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Globalism is literally cancer, short manlets beware
__________________

Herbert Camacho '16

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." - Thomas Sowell
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:24 AM   #17
Dreamliner330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,911
My Ride: 330xi
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:39 AM   #18
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 335
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
__________________

Herbert Camacho '16

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." - Thomas Sowell
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:22 AM   #19
Rhumb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 129
My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
Not sure why you felt the need to be "frank" by posting the words I had already posted out of your mouth. Of course you think that way, because you are arrogant.

Can you not grasp that people are capable and willing to take drastic measures in pursuit of something they view as worthwhile? I don't want to assume what you know, so I will point out that hundreds of thousands of Americans have given their lives in pursuit of liberty. Do you consider them to be stupid, short-sighted and ill-informed as well?

I have long known that the liberal pathology doesn't allow your type to comprehend why a person would make an individual sacrifice for the good of complete strangers, but I am still surprised when I see that ignorance displayed, as you so often do. In contrast, I am never surprised when liberals push for complete strangers to sacrifice for their benefit.
Taking drastic actions for what they might think is right at the moment doesn't make them right in the end, however ostensibly noble their motivations might have been. Plenty of liberals have sacrificed greatly in the pursuit of liberty, including their lives.

My very liberal father was engaged in very brutal combat in WWII fighting for our freedom and liberty - as have thousands of other liberal veterans (shocking revelation: all military or veterans aren't conservative).

Those who fought, and sometimes died, fighting for freedom and liberty during the civil rights era did so primarily for the good of millions of complete strangers.

Conservatives seem to have no issue asking soldiers they'll never know to go fight and give their lives for causes they deem worthy, even if it turns out badly in the end (Iraq War). What about all those chickenhawk Neocons who never toted a military rifle, much less fired one in combat, asked hundreds of thousands of our military to sacrifice for their benefit and policies in a $2T war they basically put on credit card?

I guess it's an arrogant conservative pathology to think they alone have some monopoly on freedom, liberty and sacrifice.

Last edited by Rhumb; 06-25-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #20
Cabrio330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Dallas
Posts: 127
My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Taking drastic actions for what they might think is right at the moment doesn't make them right in the end, however ostensibly noble their motivations might have been. Plenty of liberals have sacrificed greatly in the pursuit of liberty, including their lives.

My very liberal father was engaged in very brutal combat in WWII fighting for our freedom and liberty - as have thousands of other liberal veterans (shocking revelation: all military or veterans aren't conservative).

Those who fought, and sometimes died, fighting for freedom and liberty during the civil rights era did so primarily for the good of millions of complete strangers.

Conservatives seem to have no issue asking soldiers they'll never know to go fight and give their lives for causes they deem worthy, even if it turns out badly in the end (Iraq War). What about all those chickenhawk Neocons who never toted a military rifle, much less fired one in combat, asked hundreds of thousands of our military to sacrifice for their benefit and policies in a $2T war they basically put on credit card?

I guess it's an arrogant conservative pathology to think they alone have some monopoly on freedom, liberty and sacrifice.
So explain why the military is overwhelmingly conservative if conservatives are merely expecting others to serve? You're premise is, once again, incorrect. Conservatives are more likely to volunteer to serve, and conservatives who don't serve are vastly more appreciative of the sacrifices of those who serve. What is the political party of (a) the last president to implement the draft and (b) the last president to end the draft?

To be clear, I acknowledge many liberals have and will serve. I am directing my criticism at your type of liberal pathology that fortunately remains extreme and, of course, wrong.
__________________
Quote:
I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. -James Madison
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2016 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use