E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #1
chikoo

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP Cabrio
There Is No Such Thing as Race

Then how come Trump is called a Racist?

LOL

The irony.

In 1950, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) issued a statement asserting that all humans belong to the same species and that “race” is not a biological reality but a myth. This was a summary of the findings of an international panel of anthropologists, geneticists, sociologists, and psychologists.

chikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
They were referring to "race" in a scientific/biological sense rather than the social/political sense. So yes, in that respect, Trump can very much be a racist, no irony required.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:13 PM   #3
Black///M

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
Lot of words, but lack meaning. All it says is "race is not real" and failing to say why or supporting it with facts besides "people agree". By the way I stopped reading after the fifth time I read what I mentioned above.
Black///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:22 PM   #4
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
I think it's more like we come in different breeds lol
Old 11-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #5
chikoo

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
They were referring to "race" in a scientific/biological sense rather than the social/political sense. So yes, in that respect, Trump can very much be a racist, no irony required.
Different strokes for different playgrounds?

There is no cake, but how dare anybody touch my slice??

Last edited by chikoo; 11-30-2016 at 04:32 PM.
chikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:02 PM   #6
ed17331

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Sedan
There are (at least some) genetic differences between races, no?

Example: blacks more prone to sickle cell anemia, right?

If so, then there are some scientific biological differences between "races", amirite?

Sure, we are all **** sapiens, and maybe the genetic differences and their phenotypes are not that significant between "races", but to ignore race completely and call it a "myth" seems to me like wishing away reality.

My two cents.
ed17331 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:54 PM   #7
Ynot

My Ride: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed17331 View Post

If so, then there are some scientific biological differences between "races", amirite?

Sure, we are all **** sapiens, and maybe the genetic differences and their phenotypes are not that significant between "races", but to ignore race completely and call it a "myth" seems to me like wishing away reality.

My two cents.
DNA for Whites, Asians, and Blacks are different. Mexicans, Eskimo's, Native American and Asian are the same, Asians have the biggest brain and Blacks has the smallest brain. Things don't just happen for no reason, I don't know all the scientific terminology, google it.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:23 PM   #8
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Why do we call people of darker skin black and yet we stopped calling Asians yellow, and Natives red?

BMW Wiki: http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php

E46Fanatics inspiration Robolop: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...87566&page=101

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #9
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsman11868 View Post
Why do we call people of darker skin black and yet we stopped calling Asians yellow, and Natives red?
I call black people by their name, but that's just me.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:23 PM   #10
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed17331 View Post

My two cents.
From a genetic standpoint, the most remarkable aspect regarding humans is not the diversity of our genetics but rather, it's astounding similarity. Again, the concept of race is basically social/political rather than biological.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #11
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I call black people by their name, but that's just me.

You just called them black hence my point.

BMW Wiki: http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php

E46Fanatics inspiration Robolop: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...87566&page=101

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:38 PM   #12
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
From a genetic standpoint, the most remarkable aspect regarding humans is not the diversity of our genetics but rather, it's astounding similarity. Again, the concept of race is basically social/political rather than biological.
Olympic sprint finals says otherwise
Old 11-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #13
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Olympic sprint finals says otherwise
Olympic sprinters/runners, NBA players, Nobel prize winners, architects, artists, etc, all say otherwise. Many aspects have been proven to have superior genetics in CERTAIN aspects, be it blacks, italians, jews, whatever.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:08 PM   #14
ed17331

Quote:
It is the vast genetic similarity among all people that makes the small specific differences so interesting and important. The phenotypes expressed by these differences can result in obvious physical traits that are easy to observe as well as hidden differences (such as susceptibility to certain diseases or health conditions).

The point of this discussion is that the distribution of these genetic differences among people is not random, they are grouped by ancestry and, yes, by race.

Perhaps a scientific definition of race would involve the likelihood of a person to have all or most of a specific group of genetic differences (or biomarkers; or SNPs if you want to get technical).

But that's just another two cents from me. I'm just making this up because I have no desire to go down a google rabbit hole on race and genetics tonight.

So I disagree that race is "basically" a social/political concept (rather than being biologically based). But go ahead and make your case. Why do you discount the biology and think its "basically" social/political?

My theory is this:

- you want it to be social/political so that we can change it and erase the concept of race

- if it is a biological construct, it cannot be so easily dismissed or ignored

(Race is real. Your liberal viewpoint does not make it less so.)

Discuss.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #15
ed17331

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsman11868 View Post
My theory:

Because darker skinned people (esp. In the USA) took cultural ownership of the term "Black" (in the 1960's) and applied it proudly to themselves which made it mainstream and acceptable. In contrast, Asians have never called themselves yellow (to my knowledge) and view the term as a slur. Same with Native Americans and the term red.

Therefore, red and yellow remain unacceptable racist slurs, while black is generally acceptable (even though Jesse Jackson and others pushed the MSM and the PC culture to start calling them African Americans - even when they are from Jamaica, Grenada, or other non-African places).
Old 11-30-2016, 10:48 PM   #16
Black///M

One word suckers BBC and it's not the radio or telly.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:15 AM   #17
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3 & ZHP
Quote:
It's not that remarkable. We are the same species after all, and the various races or whatever you want to call them split off pretty recently. Much (98%) of our genome is non coding and much of the coding DNA is for important biochemical processes. So it only takes fairly minor genomic differences to create rather large phenotypic differences, and some of those changes are more than skin deep. Just because it represents an incredibly small percentage of our DNA doesn't make the differences less real.

Think of different breeds of dogs - they're all the same species and share about the same DNA as the various human races do, but obviously all those different breeds have vastly different traits.

Many people use the differences to claim superiority over other groups which is unfortunate. But denying that there are any biological and genetic differences that are associated with race is just wrong.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:43 AM   #18
jelani

My Ride: 330i/e92M.
Very little difference in genes but a big difference in culture.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:11 PM   #19
Black///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
It's not that remarkable. We are the same species after all, and the various races or whatever you want to call them split off pretty recently. Much (98%) of our genome is non coding and much of the coding DNA is for important biochemical processes. So it only takes fairly minor genomic differences to create rather large phenotypic differences, and some of those changes are more than skin deep. Just because it represents an incredibly small percentage of our DNA doesn't make the differences less real.

Think of different breeds of dogs - they're all the same species and share about the same DNA as the various human races do, but obviously all those different breeds have vastly different traits.

Many people use the differences to claim superiority over other groups which is unfortunate. But denying that there are any biological and genetic differences that are associated with race is just wrong.
Well, I hate to tell you, but 99% is big enough for,

https://www.geneticliteracyproject.o...n-differences/