E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #21
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
More on-existent voter fraud

Literally typing this from the book

Voter ID laws were upheld by the SCOTUS already in Crawford v. Marion County Election Board in 2008. To make matters even more interesting, the majority opinion was written by Judge Stevens who wrote "It remains true...that flagrant examples of such fraud in other parts of the country have been documented throughout this Nation's history by respected historians and journalists, that occasional examples have surfaced in recent years...that...demonstrate that not only is the risk of voter fraud real but that it could affect the outcome of a close election."

Interestingly enough, the SCOTUS found that 41.4% of the names on Indiana's voter registration rolls were bad entries representing tens of thousands of ineligible voters.

The DOJ estimated that 100,000 fraudulent votes were cast in the 1982 gubernatorial election. A federal grand jury found that this practice had been going on in prior elections as well. Votes were cast in the name of dead people, people in prison, or registered to vacant lots. Absent voters were impersonated and people would literally cold call voters to see if they voted or planned to vote, then go vote in their place.

Chris Matthews even supported this by saying this type of impersonation fraud "has gone on since the fifties. Someone calls to inquire whether you voted or going to vote, then all of a sudden somebody does come and vote for you. I know all about it in North Philly - its what went on and I believe it still goes on."

In 1984 a grand jury report sent out by Democrat Elizabeth Holtzman cited voter fraud for over 14 years in Brooklyn. This was picked up by the new york times, who headlined the story with "Boss Tweed is gone, but not his vote." The report noted cemetary voting, stuffing the ballot box, voting under fictitious names, the recruitment of people to cast multiple votes.

Once technique they would use is to register with a fake first name and a real last name known to be at a certain address. If John Smith lived at 1 Park Place, they would fill out a card for Mary Smith at the same address. They assume John Smith would just throw out any mail to Mary Smith and not return it to the election board, which is what usually happened.

This works because the USPS didn't return the falsely addressed cards, since they matched the last name or were at large apartment complexes so there wasn't a familiarity with the people like in a small neighborhood. The election board relied on the USPS to return false voter cards, so therein lies the scam.

One witness in the NY case testified that he would lead a crew of 8 individuals and take them from polling place to polling place to vote. Each member of his crew voted 20 times and there were about 20 other crews doing the same at the time.

In 2007 a group of people from a homeless shelter in Hoboken were caught being paid $10 each to go and vote under other people's names. They never even charged them or tried to find out who set them up to do that.

The DOJ won a suit in 2007 in Noxubee Mississippi against Ike Brown (convicted felon, democrat) who had an entire system set up to rig elections. His technique included failing to purge voter rolls. He was heard telling people to just go in and use any name to vote.

In 2004 NC and SC compared voter rolls to find that they had over 60,000 people registered in both states. 180 people were caught voting twice in the 2000 or 2002 elections. The election board caught several people trying to vote in more than one location. They admitted it is difficult to catch people double voting over state lines because they don't share information.

The daily news found that there were 46,000 people registered to vote in NY and FL. Between 400 and 1,000 people voted in both states in at least one election. Florida was won by 537 votes in 2000. One guy admitted to voting in NY and Florida because "That was a situation in Florida is so messed up with the Republicans, you don't know if your vote is even going to be counted." He was never prosecuted.

FOR THE RECORD

A 2006 U of Missouri study found that turnout in Indiana increased with the implementation of voter ID laws with no evidence that counties with high % of poor, minority, elderly suffered any reduction in turnout

A 2007 heritage foundation study found no reduction in turnout in any demographic group

A U of Delaware and U of Nebraska study looked at 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 elections and found that ID laws do not affect turnout, including across racial, gender, ethnic and economic lines. Their conclusion was "much ado about nothing."

The Center for Democracy and Election Management at American University found that a staggering small amount of voters do not already have ID. A 2008 survey across 50 states came up with 9 people out of 12,000. A 2006 survey had 26 out of 36,000.

Ok I'm done typing lol. I'm shocked that some of you still have your heads in the sand about this. Think about it, people are spending MILLIONS OF DOLLARS in elections. Do you really think they are just going to sit back and say "ok let's roll the dice" come voting time? That is dangerously naive.

Remember, Al Franken won by 312 votes. Obamacare was passed by 312 votes in an Senate election in Minnesota. An election where 1,099 felons illegally voted and 177 were convicted and 66 await trial.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #22
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
Any time I see a sentence prefaced with the word "Remember", I know it's a straight-up lie.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #23
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Any time I see a sentence prefaced with the word "Remember", I know it's a straight-up lie.
awesome rebuttal, how's that 2 year degree working out for you

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Old 09-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #24
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #25
Act of God

PS - I win

Anyone arguing that voter fraud is a non-issue, you lose. Thanks for playing, I'm just playing with a better hand than you.

Last edited by Act of God; 09-28-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #26
Lair
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
Illiterate meme
"Argument".

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #27
Swish

My Ride: 2004 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
PS - I win

Anyone arguing that voter fraud is a non-issue, you lose. Thanks for playing, I'm just playing with a better than than you.

"If you want to move past racism, you have to STOP LABELING EVERYTHING BY RACE / 2000_328CI"
Swish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:28 AM   #28
Lair
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish View Post
a

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.

Last edited by Lair; 09-28-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #29
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Maybe voter fraud does exist, we were just looking at the wrong place/party:

Last edited by Rhumb; 10-02-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #30
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Maybe voter fraud does exist, we were just looking at the wrong place/party:
How many times do I have to say this? People on both sides are sinking millions and millions of dollars into these elections, are you really surprised they would do whatever it takes to win?

The entire voting process needs to be cleaned up. It isn't that difficult.

p.s - I love how when ACORN did this it wasn't voter fraud, but now it is when the GOP is behind it. Classy.

Last edited by Act of God; 10-02-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #31
Lair
E46Fanatic

Can't remember who said it, but it was some illustrious republican: "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'."

Trustworthy, those republicans.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #32
Act of God

Quote:
Can't remember who said it, but it was some illustrious republican: "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'."

Trustworthy, those republicans.
Sounds more like Ric Flair

Old 02-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #33
Act of God

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...back-john-fund
Quote:
Critics of photo ID and other laws cracking down on voter fraud claim they're unnecessary because fraud is nonexistent. Brennan Center attorneys Michael Waldman and Justin Levitt claimed last year: "A person casting two votes risks jail time and a fine for minimal gain. Proven voter fraud, statistically, happens about as often as death by lightning strike."

Well, lightning is suddenly all over Cincinnati, Ohio. The Hamilton County Board of Elections is investigating 19 possible cases of alleged voter fraud that occurred when Ohio was a focal point of the 2012 presidential election. A total of 19 voters and nine witnesses are part of the probe.

Democrat Melowese Richardson has been an official poll worker for the last quarter century and registered thousands of people to vote last year. She candidly admitted to Cincinnati's Channel 9 this week that she voted twice in the last election.

This is how Channel 9***8242;s web site summarized the case:

According to county documents, Richardson's absentee ballot was accepted on Nov. 1, 2012 along with her signature. On Nov. 11, she told an official she also voted at a precinct because she was afraid her absentee ballot would not be counted in time.

"There's absolutely no intent on my part to commit voter fraud," said Richardson. . . .

The board's documents also state that Richardson was allegedly disruptive and hid things from other poll workers on Election Day after another female worker reported she was intimated by Richardson. . . .

During the investigation it was also discovered that her granddaughter, India Richardson, who was a first time voter in the 2012 election, cast two ballots in November.

Richardson insists she has done nothing wrong and promises to contest the charges: "I'll fight it for Mr. Obama and for Mr. Obama's right to sit as president of the United States."

But, of course, as you know there is no voter fraud. Pay no attention to that lightning coming out of Ohio.
Vid in the link

Old 02-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #34
Act of God

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...ing-six-times/
Quote:

The Obama/Biden lawn sign remains proudly planted in front of Melowese Richardson's Cincinnati home, three months after the presidential election.

It seems that President Obama has an especially ardent supporter in the veteran Ohio poll worker.

Richardson told a local television station this month that she voted twice for Obama last November. She cast an absentee ballot and then voted at the polls as well.

"Yes, I voted twice," Richardson told WCPO-TV. "I, after registering thousands of people, certainly wanted my vote to count, so I voted. I voted at the polls."

Authorities also are investigating if she voted in the names of four other people, too, for a total of six votes in the 2012 presidential election.

"I'll fight it for Mr. Obama and for Mr. Obama's right to sit as president of the United States," Richardson vowed when asked about the voter fraud investigation that is now under way.

Richardson is one of 19 people suspected of illegal voting by the Hamilton County Board of Elections in the last election.

"I'm outraged, and every voter, regardless of their political affiliation, should be outraged," said Hamilton County Board of Elections member Alex Triantafilou, who is also chairman of the county Republican Party. "It causes folks to have real doubts about the fabric of our very democratic process, and it's dangerous. It is disconcerting that someone would be so bold as to admit their conduct in such a fashion ... We fully intend to prosecute these cases."

Richardson claimed she had submitted an absentee ballot, but was afraid her vote would not count so she also voted in person. She also said she voted in the name of her granddaughter and yet another person.

"There was absolutely no intent on my part to commit any voter fraud," she insisted.

Richardson's granddaughter, India Richardson, confirmed to Fox News that her grandmother voted for her, by submitting an absentee ballot in her name. India told Fox News that she is not angry, and gave her permission to cast her absentee ballot.

"It wasn't a big deal," she said.

But election authorities say voting more than once, or in someone else's name, is a big deal because it is illegal and threatens the credibility of the nation's election system.

"It appears she not only attempted to vote more than once, but was actually successful at it and having those additional votes counted," Ohio Secretary of State John Husted, who is in charge of the state's elections, told Fox News.

"She appears to have used her position as a poll worker to cover her tracks. That would be someone who is an official in the elections process, using that position to commit a fraud. That is especially troubling to me, as the chief elections officer of the state, because it is my responsibility to make sure the system runs effectively, that it has integrity. When I find issues like this, I know that it undermines voter confidence in our elections, and we must pursue it."

Three other absentee ballots in the names of different people were submitted to the Board of Elections from Richardson's address on Nov. 1. Officials say the handwriting on those ballots is similar and that they were all received together, on the same day that Richardson's absentee ballot arrived at the office. Richardson maintains that some of the other voters live at her house.

Attempts by Fox News to reach Richardson were unsuccessful, but she claimed to the local station that the votes were "absolutely legal votes."

In written reports detailing the 19 cases, Board of Elections investigators described their findings. In one instance, an investigator called a suspected double voter and was hung up on.

"I explained that she voted twice and she told me not to bother her and get off her phone and she hung up," the investigator wrote.

Another voter admitted to double voting, but did not think it was an issue.

"The voter said yes she 'voted early' and then voted again, then she asked 'what's the problem?'" according to the report.

Yet another voter was at a loss for explaining why he voted more than once.

"Voter said he remembered both times. He doesn't know why he voted twice," the report said.

The documents show that another voter said he had received a phone call before Election Day telling him his absentee ballot would not count. When investigators questioned him about voting two times, the voter replied "'as usual, you guys are wrong.' ... he was curious about the investigation and asked 'Now what will you do' and 'are you taping me now?"

The Hamilton County Board of Elections is holding hearings to further investigate these cases.

"It is so fundamental to people's faith in the democratic process, that we need to act very strong to make sure that we are doing everything we can to keep people's faith," declared Triantafilou. "There is always the concern, though, that there are those situations where we didn't catch folks."

As part of a new effort to root out any voter fraud, Secretary of State Husted has ordered all 88 of the state's county Board of Elections to hold public hearings on any credible voter fraud allegations or claims of voter disenfranchisement during the 2012 election. He said any substantiated allegations should be turned over to prosecutors.

"Once the election is over, and once the winner is declared, everybody forgets about it. I want to make sure that we don't forget about it, that we make sure we do, essentially, an audit of that process to ensure that we know what happened, and then use that evidence to guide us going forward. ... We need to learn from that last election so that we can be better before the next one gets here."

"Fraud does happen," noted Husted. "Most attempts are caught by the system. But there are cases that do slip through, as this one does, and we need to make sure that we really send a strong message, that if you do this, you are going to be held accountable. It might mean fines, it might mean jail time."

Voter fraud, said Husted, "undermines public confidence in democracy, and that's why we need, whether you are a Democrat or Republican, to root out all cases of voter fraud."
Seems like we need to shore up the rules on absentee ballots. Shady gon' shady

Old 02-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #35
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Republican hypocrisy. Gun Free Zone within a 6 mile radius of the RNC? WHAT ABOUT MA GUN RIGHTS!@!!?
Because democrats can also own guns.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #36
casino is no lie

My Ride: M54B30
In other news... Obama wins.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #37
Act of God

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...nclick_check=1
Quote:
UPDATE: Sister Marguerite Kloos has resigned as the dean of the College of Mount St. Joseph's arts and humanities department. A statement from the college said, "Our thoughts are with her during this difficult time."

BEGIN ORIGINAL STORY: Three people - including a nun and a longtime poll worker - are facing charges related to improper voting.

The three are the first charged out of a Hamilton County Board of Elections' investigation that found a handful of people improperly cast at least two ballots that were counted in the November 2012 election.

"Elections are a serious business and the foundation of our democracy," Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said. "... individual votes may not seem important, but this could not be further from the truth."

Those charged are:

• Russell Glassop, 75, Symmes Township, illegal voting, a charge that carries up to 18 months in prison. He is accused of voting on behalf of his deceased wife. She requested an absentee ballot, but died before the ballot was mailed.

• Melowese Richardson, 58, Madisonville, eight counts of illegal voting, charges that carry up to 12 years in prison. Richardson is accused of voting twice in the November presidential election and on behalf of relatives in various elections.

• Sister Marguerite Kloos, 54, Delhi Township, illegal voting, a charge that carries up to 18 months in prison. Kloos, a dean at the College of Mount St. Joseph, told investigators that she filled out an absentee ballot for Sister Rose Marie Hewitt, another nun who died a month before last November's election. Kloos has agreed to plead guilty, Deters said.

Three additional cases remain under investigation, Deters said.

The investigation started with 85 or 90 cases, the vast majority resolved with no impropriety found.

Some questions linger about 50 people who cast an absentee ballot and then voted on a provisional ballot, said Hamilton County Board of Elections Chairman Tim Burke, a Democrat.

Democratic Board of Elections members say there is nothing wrong with that because only one vote counted. The process worked to make sure each person only got one vote, they say. Republican Board of Elections members argue there is a conflict in state law about whether that's allowed.
Now that there is no election in our face, is it ok to discuss possibly shoring up the security with this stuff?

Old 03-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #38
casino is no lie

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Now that there is no election in our face, is it ok to discuss possibly shoring up the security with this stuff?
I am all for shoring up the security.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #39
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...nclick_check=1

Sure, perhaps, but it seems all you've cited, and for that matter, all the various investigations have ever found, are small bore voting irregularities, much of it innocent (clerical errors, misunderstandings, etc.) with only some being actual, intential fraud. For voter fraud to become effective, especially for state and national-level elections, it has to be widespread enough to actually make an impact. Unforetunately for any fraudsters, that also makes it fairly easy to unearth and subsequently prosecute. So what you end up getting is pretty much what we're seeing, a lot of penny-ante small scale stuff that in the end amounts to little if any real impact.

Except, if blown way out of proportion and providing cover for ostensibly legal, institutional scale vote manipulation that would actually have a real impact on election results. Not to name names, but such an approach might have an irrestistable appeal to some party that was quickly becoming a minority party but still possessed sufficient legislative power and leverage to institute such voting manipulations under the guise of preventing an essentially non-existant and ineffective individual voter fraud problem -- a cure far worse than the disease it purports to prevent.

Not that any party would actually stoop to such desparate measures of course.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #40
Act of God

Hey remember this lady that admitted to voting "only" twice, on accident?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...s-in-november/
Quote:

She admitted voting twice in the presidential election last November, and now, Obama supporter Melowese Richardson has been indicted for allegedly voting at least six times. She also is charged with illegal voting in 2008 and 2011.

The 58-year-old veteran Cincinnati poll worker, indicted Monday, faces eight counts of voter fraud. Two others, one of whom is a nun, have been charged separately.

Richardson had admitted on camera to a local TV station, "Yes, I voted twice," claiming she was concerned that her vote would not count. She also said there "was no intent on my part to commit any voter fraud."

"I'll fight it for Mr. Obama and Mr. Obama's right to sit as president of the United States," she proclaimed in the interview.

Officials charged that she voted in her own name by absentee ballot and also in person at the polls, but Hamilton County Prosecuting Attorney Joseph Deters said she also is charged with voting in the name of five other people in various elections.

"This is not North Korea," Deters said in a statement announcing the indictments. "Elections are a serious business and the foundation of our democracy. In the scheme of things, individual votes may not seem important, but this could not be further from the truth. Every vote is important and every voter and candidate needs to have faith in our system. The charges today should let people know that we take this seriously."

Richardson made national headlines when the Hamilton County Board of Elections announced that it was investigating whether she voted up to half a dozen times, including on behalf of her granddaughter, India Richardson.

India told Fox News that her grandmother did indeed vote in her name, telling us that "it wasn't a big deal."

But voting twice or in another person's name is illegal.

Prosecutors say the five other people for whom Richardson cast ballots are all relatives.

Sister Marguerite Kloos also faces one count of illegal voting, for allegedly submitting an absentee ballot in the name of a fellow nun, Sister Rose Marie Hewitt, who had died before absentee ballots were sent out. She is accused of opening Sister Hewitt's ballot, forging her signature and mailing it to the Board of Elections as a vote.

The 54-year-old Kloos has resigned as the dean of the Division of Arts and Humanities at the College of Mount St. Joseph in Cincinnati, where she still serves as an associate professor of religious and pastoral studies.

Kloos was not indicted but faces what is known as an information, because her lawyer contacted prosecutors and she agreed to cooperate and plead guilty.

"As a valued member of the Mount community, our thoughts are with her during this difficult time," the college said in a written statement. "We respect her privacy and will not comment further on this matter at this time."

Russell Glassop, 75, also is charged with illegal voting. He is accused of voting on behalf of his wife, who died before election day.

But it was Richardson's case, and the possibility of repeated votes, that shocked many. She faces up to 12 years in prison if convicted. Efforts to contact her and her lawyer have been unsuccessful.

The Hamilton County Board of Elections recently held hearings on cases of possible double voting and voter fraud, part of a statewide review ordered by Secretary of State John Husted. He called on all 88 counties to review complaints of fraud, as well as voter disenfranchisement.

"Every voter must play by the rules, and if they don't they will be held accountable," Husted, a Republican, said in a written statement. "For voters to have confidence in our elections, we must prosecute every case of voter fraud in Ohio."

Last month, Husted told Fox News that Richardson's case was especially troubling, because "it appears she not only attempted to vote more than once, but was actually successful at it and having those additional votes counted."

"Most attempts are caught by the system. But there are cases that do slip through, as this one does, and we need to make sure that we really send a strong message, that if you do this, you are going to be held accountable," Husted said. "It might mean fines, it might mean jail time."

Hamilton County prosecutors are investigating three additional cases of possible voter fraud.
Also remember, as I have already cited, the amount of people charged is not indicative of the scope of the problem as most cases are not investigated and prosecuted. Seems like absentee ballots are frequently at the heart of these fraud cases, there must be a way to fix this.