E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 03:08 AM   #1
Grease_Monkey

My Ride: 2000 323ci
E92 Gills on E46? Opinions Please..

What do you guys think of the E92 M3 gills In place of the E46 M3 Gills? Thinking of doing this before the new paint..

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
JS330

My Ride: '01 330Ci 3 Pedals
I don't mind it, but only on M3's

not 323's

EDIT:

by M3, I mean e9X M3

Last edited by JS330; 09-06-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:45 AM   #3
choxor

My Ride: JDM
On an E46 M3? No.

On a 323? Hell no.

Keep it classy.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:00 AM   #4
DHK

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
I think it depends really, on my Daily Driver... id never do anything like that. However if I had a project car/weekend warrior car that I enjoyed customizing and tinkering with, id do it all day. The point of a car like that is took look a little over the top and this def is a bit over the top.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:10 AM   #5
CSL323

My Ride: '05 330Cic
Send a message via Skype™ to CSL323
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
On an E46 M3? No.

On a 323? Hell no.

Keep it classy.
What he said ^

E92 M3 grills belong on an E92 M3. Same goes for E36 drivers putting eBay E46 M3 grills on their cars.

2005 BMW 330Cic Individual
Old 09-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #6
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
if your car is clean/sporty enough to pull it off go for it. I don't think it's too over the top for a custom car. it's really rather tame compared to some hoods, wheels, bumpers, side skirt and exhausts. as long as you're not sporting the M3 badge I think it could flow ok. but like I said it really depends on the car and where the owner is going with it.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #7
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
You sure you want to paint your car? Large expense to do right...and on a 2000 323, I'd think it'd cost more than the car is worth...to do it right. Just saying.

Didn't you have another thread where you asked about gills. I could've sworn I trolled in a thread telling someone about my three gills for the buick/maz look...didn't like that idea?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 09-06-2012, 05:50 AM   #8
Grease_Monkey

No, The car is getting a repair, so therefore some body mods.. I decided to at least make the car look nice since it will never be up to par in the speed dept. Im painting and doing the work myself so the cost has been cut to almost nothing.. did I mention I have a shop with everything needed to do this stuff which makes life easier... Anywho.. Its not about whether or not its goin on an M3, 323, M5,... I was just curious about what you would think about the look in general if the mod was done clean. I think that even though the e92 is an entirely different body line, It can still carry well with the E46.
BUT, for the sake of all the nay-sayers, lets base this on an M3 body.. Not whats under the hood.. also, it would carry a different badge as well.. not M3..
Old 09-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #9
Grease_Monkey

ALSO, as far as this being too much, I thought it would be a subtle enough transition since the parts would all still be OEM, and not aftermarket.. like a CSL Diffiser. I am prolly gonna pursue this though simply because, well, I can.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Would have to see a picture of your car for a final judgement... but, IMO, it's not sounding like a good idea.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
Old 09-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #11
Slopestyle

My Ride: E46 '02. 330Ci Coup
Dude you have to decide for yourself. I'm not much into changing the look of my car extraordinarily, but thats MY car. what do you wanna do with YOUR car. I've noticed more than ever there are more haters on this site than ever. If you can do it clean, and its not glued on, awesome. Do you.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #12
CSL323

My Ride: '05 330Cic
Send a message via Skype™ to CSL323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopestyle View Post
Dude you have to decide for yourself. I'm not much into changing the look of my car extraordinarily, but thats MY car. what do you wanna do with YOUR car. I've noticed more than ever there are more haters on this site than ever. If you can do it clean, and its not glued on, awesome. Do you.
He asked for our opinions, which we provided.

OP, what do you mean all parts OEM? Give us a better idea of how this is being done...

2005 BMW 330Cic Individual
Old 09-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
Bake

My Ride: AW F10 535 M-Sport
If you had an E46 M3, and were replacing E46 grills with E92 g4ills, I think it could be pulled off, but grills don't belong on any non-M car!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #14
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
If you can't make it fast, at least make it look fast?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #15
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Aren't the E9X gills molded to the body panel? The only thing you'll be able to get out of it is the black middle piece. I don't know how you'd be able to do that and make it look good.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #16
Mr_325

My Ride: 2007 X5 3.0Si
always liked the E46 and E60 type M grills over these new ones
Old 09-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #17
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
It'd only really appeal to me if the car was turbod or supercharged. I don't like slow cars looking fast. It's just not right.
I think it would look good if it was done perfectly. But it doesn't make sense if you don't have the power to back up the look.
My opinion.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Without the wide fenders for the grills to flow into it'll look like a Kia Optima.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #19
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
that's up there with the most horrible things I've ever seen done on an E46. do not like

might as well get a custom license plate that says "NASTY"

Plus that E46 in that picture looks like it was side impacted by an 18-wheeler then reconstructed by day laborers

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #20
Grease_Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL323 View Post
He asked for our opinions, which we provided.

OP, what do you mean all parts OEM? Give us a better idea of how this is being done...
See the Pik in the original post, thats an E92 Gill on a Non M E46 coupe.. Close to what I am thinkin but mine is an M3 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake View Post
If you had an E46 M3, and were replacing E46 grills with E92 g4ills, I think it could be pulled off, but grills don't belong on any non-M car!
The M Body or the Engine> I dont understand, just cause its not an M built engine it should not have the look? Is that what you mean? Just trying to clarify so that I can see it from your POV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Aren't the E9X gills molded to the body panel? The only thing you'll be able to get out of it is the black middle piece. I don't know how you'd be able to do that and make it look good.
Bodywork.. Its not hard, just tedious. People look at bodywork like its a demon ( Run!!) and only the best of us can do it, really, it just takes practice/time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
It'd only really appeal to me if the car was turbod or supercharged. I don't like slow cars looking fast. It's just not right.
I think it would look good if it was done perfectly. But it doesn't make sense if you don't have the power to back up the look.
My opinion.
Hence the poser status. This is what I was trying to avoid, however with an enthusiast like we all are here, we will tear into the finest details of any car. My aim was to make the still look oem, but use something it didnt originally have. I thought the gils would be a nice ! up opposed to the Kragen/ Orielly tape on vent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Without the wide fenders for the grills to flow into it'll look like a Kia Optima.
Thats Why I said for the sake of the question, on an M3 Body... did you mis that? I agree that it wont flow right with a shollow fender, but the deeper M3 fender (which was designed for gills) should flow a lot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
that's up there with the most horrible things I've ever seen done on an E46. do not like

might as well get a custom license plate that says "NASTY"

Plus that E46 in that picture looks like it was side impacted by an 18-wheeler then reconstructed by day laborers
I could get a Plate that Says E46Mango.. I dont get you Mango, All i ever see from you this attitude. Its like you cant wait for some poor guy to ask about a cooling system so you can post I told ya so, I told ya so, Replace the entire cooling system, I told ya so.... And really, Why go through such trouble to make a negative remark the picture of the car... Your trying so hard, and im not sure why... Maybe your just havin a bad day, everyday/ but your kinda like the kid from 4th grade who had to 1 up everyone and have the last word.. Its just.. lame.
Sorry, went off on a tangent there.. Ive been bed ridden for the past few days and its getting to me. Thanks for the input.