E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
intelone

My Ride: e46 M3
Sequential Turn Signal

Had a problem with my EE (Eagle Eyes) turn signal. Tore it apart, and decided to make them turn on in sequence. Turns out there was a bug in my tail light. Literally a bug; actually a moth to be exact. Don't know how that critter got in there. Did away with him with a vacuum. Finally done, up and running. What do you guys think?

For those who can program the LCM, are there provisions/codes that can lengthen the flash rate? As of now, the car's flash rate is my limiting factor. It has no problem with finishing its sequence, its the hold that won't latch on for long due to the car's own flash rate ending, preventing the microcontroller to finish its routine. If it can be done by programming the LCM's flash rate parameter, that's the route I will take. If not, I shall power the microcontroller on my protoboard independently of the turn signal, allow it to sequence on its own, ignore the second pulse, and go back to main. Well i'm done, beer time.

intelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
Milz328

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
Damn thats sick how long that take??
Milz328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
that's so awesome! DIY?
Old 07-31-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
I want. Make me a set?

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
Apple4life

My Ride: 03 325i SULEV
If you make one for sedan, let me know!!
Apple4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
AVR? PIC? Source + schematics would be awesome.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
neil1138

I am truly impressed. If you made a kit with the needed components, I know I would buy one.
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jneumann View Post
avr? Pic? Source + schematics would be awesome.
+1111
Old 07-31-2011, 04:50 PM   #9
intelone

I'm currently in prototyping and testing mode. I plan on making pcb boards for the controller needed to sequence the lights. As of now the protoboard fits inside a credit card sized plastic box, which I will pot to shield it way from the environment. I want to shrink its footprint down to size, add a jumper so the user will be able to switch from sequence mode to full on (stock) mode, add ribbon connects so that removing said controller simple for repairs a snap.

Now different company (eagle eyes, depo, etc ...) uses different LEDS in there lights which makes identifying the LEDs' properties mandatory. Also their array are set up differently. The array of turn pcb has to be modified. As you can tell, traces were cut, while others were made, surface mount transistors were overridden, and individual connection wires were soldered in. I plan on releasing a board for those with soldering/electronic's skill. I also plan on doing the retro for others who don't want to bother cutting up their lights.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:47 PM   #10
jneumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelone View Post
I'm currently in prototyping and testing mode. I plan on making pcb boards for the controller needed to sequence the lights. As of now the protoboard fits inside a credit card sized plastic box, which I will pot to shield it way from the environment. I want to shrink its footprint down to size, add a jumper so the user will be able to switch from sequence mode to full on (stock) mode, add ribbon connects so that removing said controller simple for repairs a snap.

Now different company (eagle eyes, depo, etc ...) uses different LEDS in there lights which makes identifying the LEDs' properties mandatory. Also their array are set up differently. The array of turn pcb has to be modified. As you can tell, traces were cut, while others were made, surface mount transistors were overridden, and individual connection wires were soldered in. I plan on releasing a board for those with soldering/electronic's skill. I also plan on doing the retro for others who don't want to bother cutting up their lights.

Win! Sub'd!

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

Old 08-01-2011, 01:10 AM   #11
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
As far as I can tell, there's no way to adjust the speed of the blinkers via code. I've spent far more of my life studying the various LCM parameters than I should've, so I'm fairly confident it simply isn't possible.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:58 AM   #12
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Very Nice
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #13
jneumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
As far as I can tell, there's no way to adjust the speed of the blinkers via code. I've spent far more of my life studying the various LCM parameters than I should've, so I'm fairly confident it simply isn't possible.
Maybe have the tail lights "blink" at only half the normal rate, by having the microcontroller run the tails off a separate +12v lead, triggered by the normal tail light lines?

Old 08-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #14
intelone

I think I have it, had to revisit an old forum. As the cap discharge it'll give enough time to finish sequencing and hold. The cap should keep the relay charged enough to hold. Plus i don't have to have the micro controller powered on forever. Pin 30 goes to the control box, then to the mc, then to the array.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:56 PM   #15
ianbiz

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to ianbiz
Very cool! Oh btw, whats the first song? I'm replaying the video for the song right now lol

ianbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:25 AM   #16
Tchleung

My Ride: 02 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbiz View Post
Very cool! Oh btw, whats the first song? I'm replaying the video for the song right now lol
Good old Shazam app...

00 Jet Black 323i 5MT - Fuel Saver

02 Carbon Black M3 6MT - Fun Car
456whp/312wtq @ 8psi, No #'s yet at 9psi
4.10 / Headers / ESS VT2-550+

Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #17
ianbiz

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to ianbiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchleung View Post
Good old Shazam app...

ianbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #18
SaulCaldera

My Ride: M
I love this. It's something new that I haven't seen or heard of on an M3. I've seen this on newer mustangs and thought it would be cool to have it done on an M3. Anything new? Do you plan on making a DIY? or making these and selling them? Keep us updated. Good job man!
SaulCaldera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #19
jratoll

My Ride: 330I
Very Nice
jratoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:03 AM   #20
Static///M3

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3
These are sick! I would def buy these
Static///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote