E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 04:09 AM   #1
MJ80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 108
My Ride: E92 335i M Sport
Next car, follow the heart or the head ?

Hello

Im predicting somewhat bias answers here being an E46 community but no harm in throwing my ideas out there. Next year my 325i will be sold to make way for a new daily driver. There are two possible cars to replace it, a lateish E46 M3 or an MY08 E92 335i. Both obviously awesome cars, its not a bad problem to have choosing between the two but i still want to make the right choice for me.

Now my heart totally says M3, wouldn't it be cool to own a nice example of an M car, especially considering how special the E46 M3 is anyway i dont need to tell you guys why its special, you know why its awesome. But then my head says, well they are getting old now, its an old shape, what if you get over the E46 body especially after owning one currently ? what about the cost of ownership (assuming **** does happen,which it probably will realistically) and what about the value and resale, they aren't exactly easy to flick off for a good amount especially in 3 years time with 30-40K more kms, the market is small for such a specialist car.

Enter E92 335I, Modern, just as fast (on the road) but not as cool, elegant and understated and most importantly a nice new current car. Cost of owner ship assuming 50K-90K lifespan, much less than the M3, seems the sensible option. I like a current car, i like an awesome interior and i like the thought of not having to much trouble with resale in a few years time, much larger market.

So what do you guys think ? follow the heart and buy an E46 M3 and have something special and possibly really pay for it and have second thoughts half way in due to age of shape and running gear. Im not really going to use it to its full potential but i doubt many do, but it would be nice to own something as awesome as the E46 M3.

Or go with the newer more sensible yet less awesome E92 335i and enjoy the modern car the nice twin turbo engine ect.

What would you do ? and what is your thought process behind your decision ?

Cheers.
MJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:24 AM   #2
DeclanM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,363
My Ride: 332Ci
I've been in a similar situation. Had an e46 325Ci and now own an E46 M3.

I wouldn't worry about resale. You're purchasing a late model M3 with probably around 80kkms, selling it with 120 in 3 years time won't be an issue especially if it's well maintained and a clean example. Granted the 335 is a bigger market but that means you need to stand out even more in terms of price, kms or condition. I think you'd take a much larger depreciation hit on the 335 personally.

Yes an e46 M3 is likely to require more maintenance which you'll need to be prepared for but it's not as bad as you think so long as you get it thoroughly checked out prior. They are very easy cars to work on and there are plenty of DIY's so if you can do the basics yourself and import parts from overseas you can save yourself a heap on maintenance.

I'm obviously bias, I had the exact same pros and cons as you do. On very rare occasion like when I'm driving the car in traffic or shopping I think it'd be nice to have something newer but these thoughts are few and far between. Also, having tracked the M3 I've really come to appreciate the car for what it's designed for.

I also think there is far more respect on the road from other drivers and enthusiast towards M3's. That respect can occasionally turn into hatred when they see me driving it, I assume because I look like I shouldn't even be on my P's yet. I've found a lot more people yelling negative comments towards me and giving me dirty looks when I'm driving the M3 (minding my own business, not driving like a cock) than I got driving the 325 from when I was 18-21.
__________________


DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
steve.k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,329
My Ride: 05' 325Ci, 13' WRX
335i.. Newer, less kms, twin turbo
steve.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:53 AM   #4
LSM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 659
My Ride: E46 ///M3
Get an M3 bro.
__________________
___________________________________________


2006 CS M3 | ESS Tune : CSL SMG tune : Eisenmann Race : Eibach : Tekarbon
LSM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:53 AM   #5
MJ80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 108
My Ride: E92 335i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanM3 View Post
I've been in a similar situation. Had an e46 325Ci and now own an E46 M3.

I wouldn't worry about resale. You're purchasing a late model M3 with probably around 80kkms, selling it with 120 in 3 years time won't be an issue especially if it's well maintained and a clean example. Granted the 335 is a bigger market but that means you need to stand out even more in terms of price, kms or condition. I think you'd take a much larger depreciation hit on the 335 personally.

Yes an e46 M3 is likely to require more maintenance which you'll need to be prepared for but it's not as bad as you think so long as you get it thoroughly checked out prior. They are very easy cars to work on and there are plenty of DIY's so if you can do the basics yourself and import parts from overseas you can save yourself a heap on maintenance.

I'm obviously bias, I had the exact same pros and cons as you do. On very rare occasion like when I'm driving the car in traffic or shopping I think it'd be nice to have something newer but these thoughts are few and far between. Also, having tracked the M3 I've really come to appreciate the car for what it's designed for.

I also think there is far more respect on the road from other drivers and enthusiast towards M3's. That respect can occasionally turn into hatred when they see me driving it, I assume because I look like I shouldn't even be on my P's yet. I've found a lot more people yelling negative comments towards me and giving me dirty looks when I'm driving the M3 (minding my own business, not driving like a cock) than I got driving the 325 from when I was 18-21.
Good to hear another point of view, certainly the M3 will always have that "presence" on the road, when i looked at one in person recently the photos just didn't do the car justice in that respect, they just have an aura.

I wouldn't use the M3 to its full potential, id probably track it once or twice just for the experience, but the future car will be a primary daily driver. My 4x4 is my "toy" so to speak. So i dont really need a race SMG gear box, or an LSD like the M has. So again i lean towards the 335i in what suits me, but the M3 just has that appeal and desire about it, i just want one.

Ill also be very young in owning either one of these cars ill be 22 when the time to purchase comes, find it hard to believe that people would bother to hand out **** in traffic just because your young, some people just have NFI.
MJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:01 AM   #6
fgin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,658
My Ride: e46 facelift
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ80 View Post
Good to hear another point of view, certainly the M3 will always have that "presence" on the road, when i looked at one in person recently the photos just didn't do the car justice in that respect, they just have an aura.

I wouldn't use the M3 to its full potential, id probably track it once or twice just for the experience, but the future car will be a primary daily driver. My 4x4 is my "toy" so to speak. So i dont really need a race SMG gear box, or an LSD like the M has. So again i lean towards the 335i in what suits me, but the M3 just has that appeal and desire about it, i just want one.

Ill also be very young in owning either one of these cars ill be 22 when the time to purchase comes, find it hard to believe that people would bother to hand out **** in traffic just because your young, some people just have NFI.

says it all. G'luck with the M3 hunt
__________________

Last edited by fgin; 10-08-2012 at 05:02 AM.
fgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #7
Hazey82
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 295
My Ride: M3
If its going to be a daily and sitting in traffic never seeing over 5000rpms and your not one to take it out on mountain drives or track on the weekend and give it too her like she needs and loves it then go 335. But if you think you will find yourself going on these spirited weekend drives or cruise days and your in the 335 you will be wishing it was the M3.
__________________
FOR SALE: Titan lower M3 Steering Wheel Trim, SMG Shift knob.
Hazey82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:25 AM   #8
MJ80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 108
My Ride: E92 335i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82 View Post
If its going to be a daily and sitting in traffic never seeing over 5000rpms and your not one to take it out on mountain drives or track on the weekend and give it too her like she needs and loves it then go 335. But if you think you will find yourself going on these spirited weekend drives or cruise days and your in the 335 you will be wishing it was the M3.
God aint that the truth, the driving experience would be unreal and im drooling at the thought of it ! but the first part of your comment is also true to me.

I think all it would take was the right M3 to pop up at the time of purchase to sway me, a good egg with a decent color and condition and id be all over it, just not that easy though is it.
MJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:25 AM   #9
ating
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,644
My Ride: 2004 M3
^ true, anything below 4k rpm and the M3 is a slug haha. So if it's really going to be tootling along in traffic at a leisurely pace, 335 might be the better option. Then again, if the M3 has been your dream car - go for it! yolo! hahaha!!!
__________________
Evolve CSL airbox w/Alpha-N tune | KW v2 | Vorshlag Camber Plates | WORK Equip 18x10/12 | Dixis Ti exhaust
ating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #10
Hazey82
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 295
My Ride: M3
ating when you selling me your CSL airbox mate??
__________________
FOR SALE: Titan lower M3 Steering Wheel Trim, SMG Shift knob.
Hazey82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #11
ating
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,644
My Ride: 2004 M3
^ haha, dunno...when I decide to sell/part-out the car?
__________________
Evolve CSL airbox w/Alpha-N tune | KW v2 | Vorshlag Camber Plates | WORK Equip 18x10/12 | Dixis Ti exhaust
ating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:28 AM   #12
DeclanM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,363
My Ride: 332Ci
To me the E46 M3 was always a 'realistic dream car' when it first came out. I knew that if I got the 335 I'd never end up owning an e46 M3 and be forever kicking myself for not taking up the opportunity. Clean, well maintained e46 M3's are still relatively readily available but they won't be for long. 335's however are just another car, there's nothing 'special' about them. Sure they're a great car, but I feel they lack the fizz the Top Gear guys are always on about.

The M3 on the other hand, for me at least, is a car that has truly made me appreciate driving a car to it's fullest (on the track) and it also lets you have a bit of fun on the street. The sound, the overall rawness of the vehicle and it's appearance is something that will stick with me.
__________________


DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:33 AM   #13
MJ80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 108
My Ride: E92 335i M Sport
Indeed, interesting points. Iv driven the 335i i think i need to drive or be taken for a drive in an M3 to really get a better idea of what id be missing out on and if im prepared to go without it.
MJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #14
[SeN]
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 188
My Ride: 2002 M3 Imola Red
Well I was in the same situation as you are a year ago and I chose e46 M3 because:
- evokes more emotion when driving
- more raw/race car feel than the more grown up/mature feel of the e92
- i have a soft spot for high revving NA engines...
- distinctive exhaust note
- dat ass when dumped on 10" rears..pwoah
- and this is kinda vain..but i feel proud when i say i drive a M3.

The 335i is newer but thats relative cause its the current shape. It wont always be the current shape...n I plan on keeping my car for a while.

It felt faster then the M3 when at cruising speeds cause of more torque n boost.

Imo e46 looks better then the e92 shape. Its just that the e9x is fresh and current. But looks are subjective.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Bimmer App
__________________


Bilstein PSS10 /// Vorshlag Camber Plates /// Turner Motorsports RSM /// Rogue Engineering Octane SSK w. ZHP gear knob /// Dice MediaBridge 1500
[SeN] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #15
wc325i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: brisbane
Posts: 178
My Ride: stick 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by [SeN] View Post
- and this is kinda vain..but i feel proud when i say i drive a M3.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Bimmer App
This!!!
wc325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #16
YGOAMG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Riverside: Melbourne
Posts: 11,924
My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
I stopped reading after you mentioned resale of the M3.

Percentage wise, the E46 M3 will have a BETTER resale value than the E92
__________________

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #17
YGOAMG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Riverside: Melbourne
Posts: 11,924
My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
I stopped reading after you mentioned resale of the M3.

Percentage wise, the E46 M3 will have a BETTER resale value than the E92
__________________

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #18
DesiredM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 519
My Ride: E46 M3
I had the same problem when I was looking after selling my 330Ci.

These were my reasons for getting an M3 over a 335.
- It's an M3....enough said.
- I had always wanted one and would never have an opportunity to enjoy one if I didn't get it now (family will be on the way in a few years time so a more practical car would be needed later on)
- it's more of a passionate car, I mean how many cars out there can get a 0-100 time in a little over 5 seconds with a N/A straight 6?
- if an M3 every pulled up next to me if I was in a 335 it would beat me...then I would be miserable knowing I made the wrong choice.
- An M3 gets looks whoever you go, some people don't know what they are but a lot do and while this will sound vain but I like driving my car and people looking at me regardless of what they are actually thinking haha. It's like a pride thing it makes you feel good about yourself.

At the end of the day a 335 is a good car but an M3 will always be an M3. Follow your heart (and probably your smaller head to haha) and you won't regret it.
DesiredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #19
gueste46
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,607
I'm interested in feedback from people who have driven the 335i. Impressions?
gueste46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #20
SCE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 323
My Ride: M3
I went through the same thought process and have decided to go with my heart. Now I'm just waiting to find the right one
__________________


BMW E46 M3
BMW E83 X3
BMW E46 Supercharged - Sold
BMW E30 SR20DET - Sold
SCE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use