E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
KOpower

My Ride: 325ci
The longest your battery can go without starting her

Sometimes my car doesn't get a lot of action and was wonder what other e46 owners experience was in starting her up after a long period of time.

I had an old battery in my car - which eventually died - and of I didn't start it up every week I would have problems

My new battery is super cool - I started her up after 3.5 weeks (came back from holiday) - and she started up just fine

The person who sold me the battery said the battery has a 'shelf life' of 2 years or something and if I didn't startup my car for months it would still work fine

I am not sure about that. Anyone else's experience? does the BMW drain the battery if u leave it sitting?

I have friend who has a car he hardly uses who takes out the terminal every time he uses the car - cant really do that on the e46 - as the battery is hard to get to - and I dont think thats reccomended unless your car is in storage for a good long few months/year?

My Ride:
2002 e46 325ci Manual - Sport & Premium Pkg
KOpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
All modern cars have an idle current when the car sits, measured in miliamperes. Your battery will run down over time depending upon the quality of the battery and your individual car.

I keep a current Autozone 49DL in my car and it sits in my garage for months at a time and with the factory alarm powered up.

After about six weeks my car will still start fine. But at that point I notice the first turnover is not as brisk as if the car is used constantly.

Probably would not have a problem making it to the two month point.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
JEFFEFECKS

My Ride: 05 IB ZCP
Send a message via AIM to JEFFEFECKS
Forgot to disconnect my terminals @ one point in time while I went away for over 4 months. Started up just fine on the first try as if i never left
Old 09-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
KOpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFEFECKS View Post
Forgot to disconnect my terminals @ one point in time while I went away for over 4 months. Started up just fine on the first try as if i never left
Wow 4 months ! That's a lot!!

My Ride:
Old 09-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
KOpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post

After about six weeks my car will still start fine. But at that point I notice the first turnover is not as brisk as if the car is used constantly.

Probably would not have a problem making it to the two month point.
Those stats aren't too bad either - what are others experiences with the e46?

My Ride:
Old 09-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Make sure you factor in your alarm if you have one and leave it on.
Could be a meaningful % of the resting current draw.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:28 AM   #7
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Might be worth getting a higher capacity battery or a deep cycle battery if you frequently have extended periods without starting the car. I think the longest mine has gone is a month or so, and there were no issues. Engine maybe wasn't as smooth as typical, but that very well could have been the gas or lack of oil

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 09-10-2012 at 02:29 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote