E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
ChanDaMan

My Ride: 2000 M3 clone (328i)
Question low RPM acceleration/hesitation problem. vacuum leak??

So, I am a brand nubie to the bmw world. I just bought my first bimmer a few weeks back (a 2000 328ci w/ 146k miles). I'm even still learning all the interior button configurations. Needless to say I know next to nothing about them. A few days after I got it, I noticed a subtle, but high pitched hissing (almost whistling) sound come from the engine when accelerating. I also noticed that when accelerating at low rpms 1000-1500 the engine will hesitate and sometimes at the start of driving, kind of hop. As in it will catch acceleration and then let go, and catch again. The car is throwing a check engine light code P1250 which I got check and says is a fuel pressure regulator. Although, I've heard from another E46 owner that that code can sometimes be as simple as low anti-freeze or even a non fitting gas gap?? I myself believe that the acceleration problem is separate, and is due to a vacuum leak somewhere. But, as I said, I've never owned a bmw and would not know where or how to begin checking for a leak. If anyone has had this problem(s), or knows how to go about fixing it (without paying out the ass at a bmw dealer) please let me know either on this post or via e-mail ChanDaMan7@hotmail.com

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4717.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	337428  
ChanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
dinan Bimmer

My Ride: Turbo 350Z
Send a message via AIM to dinan Bimmer
i would start with checking the intake boot. judging by the age of your car it most likely has dry rotted. It's very common. it's number 14 on the diagram. check the smaller part of the hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram.gif
Views:	576
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	337604  
2004.5 350Z APS ST 475whp 505wtq Sold
dinan Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
Nice ride i suggest taking your email out if u dont want losts of spam

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
rudieg203

My Ride: BMW 325i
well i have a 2001 325i sedan, & i seem to have the same problem with the hesitation & the high pitch hissingg..
i wonder if its a major problem, because mine will do it randomly anywhere from 3000 to 5000 rpms?

any help about it please?
(im also a newbiee to this)
rudieg203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:38 AM   #5
Fr3nch

My Ride: :/
My car is having the same problem minus the hiss, so i was hoping for a follow up to this if you guys figured out the problem.

If you didn't, the vacuum system is connected to the fuel filter, which contains the fuel pressure regulator. The vacuum line is the small line on the front of the fuel filter. Location of the filter can be seen in this DIY: http://bimmerinfo.com/diy/fuel-filter/

If you guys found your problem let me know.
Fr3nch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
Kotler

My Ride: BMW 330CI
Hello friends. I considered this thread to be similar with my problem.

I have E46 330Ci 2001. During start-up when I turn key and trying to start the engine I hear hissing sound. But after second try engine starts without problem. This is every time I turn off and then start engine again.

Anyone knows what might be problem?

Thank you
Kotler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
klangford
I got nothin'

My Ride: 07 Maserati QP
Send a message via AIM to klangford
So many people reporting this problem - I did a search and see this thread goes back 3 years with no updates - anyone fix this problem? Kotler? Fr3nch? rudieg203? My sons 328i threw a CEL last night and it is hesitating and lunging now and doesn't want to accelerate. The DSC light is also on - you have to key off/key on to get DSC to get the DSC light to stay off. Thoughts (other than take it to stealership ?
2000 328i - Daughter's first BMW
2007 Maserati Quattroporte - my current ride
klangford is offline   Reply With Quote