E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Super Sheep

My Ride: 2005 E46 325 CI
E46 M54B25 PCV hose to Intake Manifold (Need your opinions, insights)

So I bought a 2005 BMW E46 325CI with 75k miles for a pretty good price. ($11,000 all cash). The previous owner said it has been in no major accident and hence no major repairs and from what I can tell, he drove it like a grandma so there wear and tear has been minor. Besides the time he claim that his wife accidentally tore off the front bumper by going over a parking divider (those concrete slabs to prevent people from pulling too forward)

So anyways so 5-6 months later the car is 91k miles and I figure I would start doing preventive maintenance before the car hit 100k miles.
Over the month, I've cleaned the DISA valve (thing look brand new to be honest), replaced the lower and upper intake boot, replaced brunt out windshield and headlight washer pumps, cleaned the throttle body and replaced the ICV. Replaced a foglight (since it was missing ), mended the bumper, cleaned up the wiring, etc etc....

Replaced all the spark plugs and it was when I took off the plastic covers on top of the motor I noticed this hose was curiously missing. I've looked up online and on realOEM.com diagrams for any clues but I cannot figure out if there is suppose to be a hose there, or if the previous owner like tore off the hose and filled in the hole with plaster or whatever. Some threads I found mention that certain model's Oil Separator actually has that hose plugged in as it wasn't used, I don't know if that is correct or not. (As far as I know there has been no code from the OBDII, nor any issue with the motor, infact after seafoam the motor has been running alot sweeter.)

Anyways can some one please enlighten me on the fact if there is suppose to be a hose there? Where does it connect to? (I presume the oil separator?) what is its function and what problems might I have if there hose was missing/malfunctioning.

I've attached the photos below and circled the area in question. Thanks for your time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-09 21.21.20.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	468538   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-09 21.22.54.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	468539   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-09 21.22.18.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	468540   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-09 21.23.38.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	468541  

Super Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
Super Sheep

My Ride: 2005 E46 325 CI
Well I think I figured out the answer. Its the intake air temperature sensor hole? Since DME update, the MAF sensor has taken over the function of the IAT function, making the sensor redundant so they just plastered filled the socket hole. The updated MAF sensor has 5 wire vs the old 3 wire MAF without IAT function. Anybody more knowledgeable wish to enlighten me if I am correct in this assessment or not?
Super Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote