E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 01:18 AM   #61
ApolloTheGod

My Ride: E92, E46, E36, Caddy
New headlight lenses? Why? Just get a good rubbing compound and buff out the age. Ive done it on many cars before. And as for that scratch on the fender you could EASILY use rubbing compound on that too. It dosnt look like its through the clear coat. Id buy this tomorrow, but its in LA and I am in Phoenix so its really not worth the drive

Edit: PLUS DEALER FEES AND TAXES
ApolloTheGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:39 AM   #62
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
No matter how much you use rubbing compound, it will never look as good as fresh lenses

I tried a million things for mine, looked decent, but buying a new set was definitely one of the better buys

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:35 AM   #63
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Really, have any of the guys been on car market recently... That is not "super beat" BMW... Only headlight lenses restore and "blackening" bumper/door mouldings would really bring this car to life. I would worry about three things that can't be seen from the pics:

-does it have maintainance records
-has it been in an accident (and which kind if it was)
-was it repainted

If those three check out, all the rest is really cosmetics...

Last edited by daki_bmw; 09-15-2012 at 05:04 AM.
daki_bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:02 AM   #64
Bandit4077

My Ride: 330i SuperVeloce
totally love the advert: " Specializing In Fine Previously Owned Vehicles. We strive to earn your business and deliver an exceptional buying experience. Price does not include Tax, Smog, Documentation and Registration fees. WE BUY & SELL THE CLEANEST MINT CONDITION VEHICLES BELOW WHOLESALE MARKET VALUE!! " normally I tell folks to avoid these hoodlots, like el plauge-o, but if you're an ambitious fanatic, you could be in danger of getting a ZHP for an amazing price. it's been my experience that most junk dealers (Bimmers aren't junk) have absolutely no idea at all that ZHP exists, what it means, or that they are awesome and rare. with the right budget, space, and time, I would.

its the feeling you get when you realized that you have put more money into mods and repairs than have on payments...
Bandit4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #65
JasonSmithed

My Ride: 00 323i
Sexy. Too bad its been ragged.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #66
subieworx

My Ride: ZHP, 335, E53, E30
For the sake of comparison I just bought an identical model zhp but in much cleaner condition in and out, full maintenance records, Konis, led tail lights, and iPod integration for 9000.
subieworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #67
wceoscar

My Ride: 323i
Don't see whats wrong with it.... If its mechanically good all it needs is some cosmetic work... If not it would make a great track car...

Last edited by wceoscar; 09-16-2012 at 10:27 PM.
wceoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #68
biMMer4.4i

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnpatrol53 View Post
^^Hahaha

Just replacing those headlight lenses alone would take 10 years off that car! If the engine was reasonably well taken care of I wouldn't mind fixing all that other stuff up one by one. It could be a cool project for someone...or like you say be some high school dipwad's first car.

I take offense to the dipwad comment but I would also say that it is most of the time a true statement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
I legitimately thought they covered it in the greasiest Armor All they could find for a minute there...

The nice thing about the ZHP is that some dealers have no idea it's a ZHP, so they just sell it as a "sports package" car. Occasionally those will pop up and you can score a good deal.

Very true. There's one locally in Cincinnati that is priced around 10k, same mileage roughly, way better shape, they have no clue which is better for enthusiasts looking to buy

-I wouldn't mind restoring this car myself, its a decent deal
biMMer4.4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #69
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
when i looked at this thread a single tear dripped down my right eye, and i heard.... in the aaaaaaaaarms of the angel. I quickly backed out of this thread, and ended up coming back to write this comment.

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #70
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by subieworx View Post
For the sake of comparison I just bought an identical model zhp but in much cleaner condition in and out, full maintenance records, Konis, led tail lights, and iPod integration for 9000.
Right, and you think this car is worse off? Any kind of mods I immediately assume the cars been ragged on at least a little bit. Not saying that's always a bad thing, I've bought cars that had mods in the past, but it certainly doesn't increase the value either.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #71
JasonSmithed

If its lowered don't touch it. How I shop for used cars like ours
Old 09-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #72
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSmithed View Post
If its lowered don't touch it. How I shop for used cars like ours
Cool Top Gear quote.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine

Last edited by ///MPR77; 09-17-2012 at 12:01 PM.
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #73
JasonSmithed

Old 09-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #74
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Drool.

I want to head down there with my bmw code reader and see what shadows it has lol

This one looks nice

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Imola...f04#vi-content

Last edited by Schlag96; 09-17-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #75
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloTheGod View Post
New headlight lenses? Why? Just get a good rubbing compound and buff out the age. Ive done it on many cars before. And as for that scratch on the fender you could EASILY use rubbing compound on that too. It dosnt look like its through the clear coat. Id buy this tomorrow, but its in LA and I am in Phoenix so its really not worth the drive

Edit: PLUS DEALER FEES AND TAXES
Headlight lenses are fairly cheap on these cars, and no amount of rubbing will get those lenses back to new condition. On a car without removable lenses, it makes sense. But on these, I'd say it's a waste of effort.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #76
TechieTechie

My Ride: 05 M3,04 z4, 01 325t
For it's age and mileage, it doesn't look terrible. The real question is once it's on the lift...has it had it's midlife crisis and has those wear items been done? If not, budget $3-$4k to get it back to what most of us fanatics consider a 'clean' car.

But Mango, I think you are correct in the sense...if they didn't take car of the little visual stuff..what other good regular maintenance (oil changes @ 7k, etc) did they skip..and what larger issues (clutch, head gasket) could rear its ugly head earlier than normal in its 2nd phase of life (the next 5/10 years). Only those with a crystal ball can forsee this one...
Old 09-18-2012, 03:51 AM   #77
braves011

My Ride: 330i ZHP Imola
Ok maybe its because I'm looking at it on my cell but this car doesnt seem bad at all. Carfax checks out on it too and the dealership reviews online are good. Has anyone physically been to look at and drive this car?
braves011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #78
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
But Mango, I think you are correct in the sense...if they didn't take car of the little visual stuff..what other good regular maintenance (oil changes @ 7k, etc) did they skip..and what larger issues (clutch, head gasket) could rear its ugly head earlier than normal in its 2nd phase of life (the next 5/10 years). Only those with a crystal ball can forsee this one...
My car has many similar cosmetic defects but is getting the treatment on the important things.

So it's stupid to assume anything. Get any car inspected so you know exactly what you're getting. Be prepared to spend the $100 and walk away because it's the price of playing.
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #79
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
For it's age and mileage, it doesn't look terrible. The real question is once it's on the lift...has it had it's midlife crisis and has those wear items been done? If not, budget $3-$4k to get it back to what most of us fanatics consider a 'clean' car.

I don't think that's a fair assessment to make. If I'm short on cash, I'd typically neglect a cosmetic issue over a mechanical one. For example, I have some minor damage on my rear bumper from a while back - it really cannot be noticed from a distance, but it's damaged in such a way that would require replacing the bumper. It's just not a priority at the moment (I'd rather wait a while and take it to a great body shop than half ass it).
Old 09-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #80
motonyc

My Ride: 2003 330I ZHP
Really doesn't look bad, I mean the dealer could of done a better prep job like vacuum and clean the dashboard. Needs a good clay-paste-wax combo. Besides that if the the engine and suspension check out fine why not, offer him 8 grand.
motonyc is offline   Reply With Quote