E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #61
bobz

My Ride: 0 BMW's
Trive2, I wish it was that simple, it is not.
And judging by the amount of retailers that are going into administration, they are not making more and more money. They make less when the dollar gets higher. Believe me.

Still I think that ACCC should be made aware of those restrictions and see what they will be able to do about it.

BobZ
Old 09-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #62
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobz View Post
Trive2, I wish it was that simple, it is not.
And judging by the amount of retailers that are going into administration, they are not making more and more money. They make less when the dollar gets higher. Believe me.

Still I think that ACCC should be made aware of those restrictions and see what they will be able to do about it.

BobZ
Oh let me be a keyboard warrior!

I know the retail sector over here is doing badly, I should have included the ridiculous running expenses that businesses here face, which inflates the price of the product pointlessly. Thanks for clearing that up!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #63
bobz

My Ride: 0 BMW's
So that I can be a keyboard warrior too.

Yes those costs do increase the prices. That is a whole different problem, but at the same time if you do want to be paid US wages then not a problem

BobZ
Old 09-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #64
Nath

My Ride: MY13 Maloo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisM3 View Post
Are you talking about Tirerack?

Because my Hankooks have touched down in Australia and most likely will be delivered to my house on Monday.
Yes

Perhaps you made the deadline?

I'm after a good quality semi slick that can handle in the wet (Melbourne summer is approaching.....)

They will send to a forwarder by 'looking the other way' & if you don't mention it they won't ask - its how a mate got OZ racing wheels from them which are also banned for export (and have been for a long time)

All the forwarders want a % of the total price & offer exorbitant shipping costs on top - which shouldn't affect the original tax receipt from tirerack if the tires are under $1000. (RE-11s are $245ea) Quick maths shows a $250-300 extra ontop of old $1250 delivered price from Tirerack

Will investigate further when I get back
Old 09-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #65
Nath

My Ride: MY13 Maloo
Cost of living is all relevant to their wages, similar story in Australia

I just paid $6.99 for a 6 pack of corona from the servo

Petrol is $3.40 a gallon and they are all complaining...

Last edited by Nath; 09-13-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Nath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #66
BrisM3
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 1990 E30 318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath View Post
Yes

Perhaps you made the deadline?

I'm after a good quality semi slick that can handle in the wet (Melbourne summer is approaching.....)

They will send to a forwarder by 'looking the other way' & if you don't mention it they won't ask - its how a mate got OZ racing wheels from them which are also banned for export (and have been for a long time)

All the forwarders want a % of the total price & offer exorbitant shipping costs on top - which shouldn't affect the original tax receipt from tirerack if the tires are under $1000. (RE-11s are $245ea) Quick maths shows a $250-300 extra ontop of old $1250 delivered price from Tirerack

Will investigate further when I get back
Not sure what the deadline is/was. I only ordered them this week.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #67
fgin

My Ride: e46 facelift
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/pol...914-25xxw.html

New South Wales Treasurer Mike Baird has also urged the Commonwealth to cut the GST threshold on online goods from $1000 to $30.
fgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #68
M3_DU

My Ride: '02 M3
As a retailer you can understand why they would want that. But it will also hurt them at the same time. Because when they import goods now, rather than have a $1000 worth of GST free goods, it will be less if this does go ahead. $1000 is a lot for let's say a clothes shop.

Last edited by M3_DU; 09-14-2012 at 11:18 AM.
M3_DU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #69
my 335

My Ride: E92 335M SPORT COUPE
Just received my quote from tire rack today for a pair of Michelin Pilot Super Sports 225/35/19 and the good news they are still shipping Michelin tyres to Australia shipping costs to Brisbane was $266 plus $498 for the pair, total $764

MY 2008 335 M-SPORT COUPE
VISHNU PROCEDE V5 REV 2.5 STAGE 2
M3 SUSPENSION
FORGE INTERCOOLER
AFE/DCI
BIRDS B3 SUSPENSION
ALPINA B3 AUTO TRANS. FLASH
my 335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #70
BrisM3
OEM ///Member

Tyres were delivered yesterday.

Pretty impressive - 7 days door-to-door with a significant saving in $.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:13 AM   #71
Sherweeeny

My Ride: BMW Civic
Yeah, pretty smart- sending our money overseas. Bit of a double edged sword innit?
Old 09-18-2012, 03:41 AM   #72
DeclanM3

My Ride: 332Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherweeeny View Post
Yeah, pretty smart- sending our money overseas. Bit of a double edged sword innit?
In terms of our economy?

Here's the way I look at it. I get paid X dollars. I then spend said money on products and services. If I can get a product overseas for $1,000 that someone wants to charge 10-20% more for over here I'll probably just buy it locally (there are of course other factors like convenience, service, delivery times etc. which come into account). If I can get an Australian made equivalent with the same quality, features etc. I'll maybe go up to 30% over the O/S version.

If I have my heart set on a product that must be imported (say PSS's) then I often don't see the benefit of purchasing locally. If the local shop owner can get the product for say $800 then they shouldn't be so fkn greedy on their mark up, i'd buy from them, they'd make some money and less money would leave our country. If they can get it for a similar price to me I may as well buy from O/S as my remaining money will be spent locally on other products or services.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is money leaving our shores for these tyres regardless and if it's a similar amount if I buy myself compared to how much the shop owner can import them for I believe I'm better off saving my money and spending it on Australian goods or services and therefore promoting Australian industries as oppose to some dude who imports sh!t and then whacks a margin onto it...

I'm no economist though so if I'm wrong please enlighten me..

DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:51 AM   #73
BrisM3
OEM ///Member

I effectively got 2 tyres for free when compared to the best price I could get here. That includes the >$400.00 shipping charge!!

Makes sense to me to get them OS.

Dec has a good point though. I would pay a premium here of say 10-20% but not in excess of 100% when the OS saving includes shipping costs.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:53 AM   #74
BrisM3
OEM ///Member

BTW locals made some money on mounting and alignment. It cost too much to ship car OS for that service
Old 09-18-2012, 03:54 AM   #75
DeclanM3

My Ride: 332Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisM3 View Post
BTW locals made some money on mounting and alignment. It cost too much to ship car OS for that service
The trick is to fly over the worker from the US as oppose to shipping the car to the US

DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #76
Davconelectric

My Ride: 330
[n

Last edited by Davconelectric; 09-18-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Davconelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:12 AM   #77
BrisM3
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanM3 View Post
The trick is to fly over the worker from the US as oppose to shipping the car to the US
Right!
I see my error.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #78
Sherweeeny

My Ride: BMW Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanM3 View Post
In terms of our economy?

Here's the way I look at it. I get paid X dollars. I then spend said money on products and services. If I can get a product overseas for $1,000 that someone wants to charge 10-20% more for over here I'll probably just buy it locally (there are of course other factors like convenience, service, delivery times etc. which come into account). If I can get an Australian made equivalent with the same quality, features etc. I'll maybe go up to 30% over the O/S version.

If I have my heart set on a product that must be imported (say PSS's) then I often don't see the benefit of purchasing locally. If the local shop owner can get the product for say $800 then they shouldn't be so fkn greedy on their mark up, i'd buy from them, they'd make some money and less money would leave our country. If they can get it for a similar price to me I may as well buy from O/S as my remaining money will be spent locally on other products or services.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is money leaving our shores for these tyres regardless and if it's a similar amount if I buy myself compared to how much the shop owner can import them for I believe I'm better off saving my money and spending it on Australian goods or services and therefore promoting Australian industries as oppose to some dude who imports sh!t and then whacks a margin onto it...

I'm no economist though so if I'm wrong please enlighten me..
$1000 just went to the USA. That makes their sales and effective population increase. One less sale in Australia. Requirement of sales in order to stay afloat becomes higher and chances are price needs to go up to cover with margin what they are not making in numbers. This however cannot happen as everyone is tight so business closes down, 5 people have no jobs and that $1000 in America is not being distributed in the area local to that of the tyre shop which causes chain reaction. Typing on Iphone sucks so this stays short. You get the picture though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davconelectric View Post
Our money? Do you have any idea how much of this country is owned by over seas investors? My mum owns a very very small real estate business in a small country town in victoria. She's sold over $200 million worth of land last financial year to people who aren't even Australian citizens. So when you say our money, do you mean we're selling our future? I think perhaps it's already too late.
So $200M of foreign money has come into the country and there's a problem?
Old 09-18-2012, 04:43 AM   #79
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
^ I wouldnt worry about it too much

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:31 AM   #80
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
$200m of foreign money that will soon turn into foreign money owning valuable local land. Very short sighted advantage there.

And if the parts over here didn't cost TEN times as much as the parts over there, I would spend my money here. If I couldn't get FOUR tyres, including exorbitant shipping charges, for the price of two, I would spend my money here.
Some of us don't have the luxury of throwing ridiculous amounts of money at the local economy just because it's the local economy.