E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #81
DeclanM3

My Ride: 332Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by trive2 View Post
$200m of foreign money that will soon turn into foreign money owning valuable local land. Very short sighted advantage there.

And if the parts over here didn't cost TEN times as much as the parts over there, I would spend my money here. If I couldn't get FOUR tyres, including exorbitant shipping charges, for the price of two, I would spend my money here.
Some of us don't have the luxury of throwing ridiculous amounts of money at the local economy just because it's the local economy.
Totally agree with you there. This is why if I recall correctly (and forgive me if I'm wrong, I only attended half of one of my economics lectures...) our economy is made up by something like 70% services and this number is ever increasing.

At the end of the day if we are importing products at a similar cost to the local retailers and can't buy an Australian made equivalent then the $1,000 is going overseas regardless. Whether it's from myself or the retailer it makes no difference to the economy. The only difference is that I am not supporting someone who simply imports items, whacks a profit on and resells. One could argue that this person would be forced out of a job and that taxes would have to cover some sort of income for him but still, I don't feel I should be paying over 100% mark up just to support someone... Call me selfish but it's more that I simply can't afford to throw money away like that.

My point here is that unless we make a competing product locally then the money is never truly staying in our economy. In a perfect world where we can't make a competing product we would import in mass (get a discount) and sell for the same price or slightly more than the cost to import privately.

DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #82
Nath

My Ride: MY13 Maloo
USA seem to need the money more than Aus at the present time - I base that off my observation in the local paper this morning where there was an add from a BMW dealer offering 0% on a 60mth term and 60mths free maintenance to match on all series....
Old 09-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #83
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
GDP deals with finished goods sold dosnt it??

So wheels made in japan but sold by a retailer in AUS will increase GDP..

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #84
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath View Post
USA seem to need the money more than Aus at the present time - I base that off my observation in the local paper this morning where there was an add from a BMW dealer offering 0% on a 60mth term and 60mths free maintenance to match on all series....
Exl. M series?

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #85
M3_DU

My Ride: '02 M3
By the sounds of things, none of you have businesses. All the pricing is set by the international companies themselves and they definitely do vary market by market. For example, BMW Australia purchases the vehicles from BMW Gmbh who most likely sells them at a much higher price than other markets and take into consideration the exchange rate as well. And don't think they would value the cars at the current rate either. Then the mark-up, that's up to BMW Australia.

Now BMW Australia might have to cover a lot more costs than let's say, BMW America. Think wages, costs of electricity, super funds, transport, insurance, land tax, PAYG tax, GST repayments, council rates, company tax. If BMW Australia couldn't make decent profit on each car they sell, then it wouldn't operate as a business. Have a look at America's tax system and wages..

Who's to blame? Well I would blame the government personally, but also every Australian is used to a very high living standard which comes at a cost.

Basically there is a lot more involved than us being ripped off. I mean, if it was that bad, then you wouldn't be seeing high end cars around now would you?
M3_DU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #86
bobz

My Ride: 0 BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanM3 View Post
In terms of our economy?

Here's the way I look at it. I get paid X dollars. I then spend said money on products and services. If I can get a product overseas for $1,000 that someone wants to charge 10-20% more for over here I'll probably just buy it locally (there are of course other factors like convenience, service, delivery times etc. which come into account). If I can get an Australian made equivalent with the same quality, features etc. I'll maybe go up to 30% over the O/S version.

If I have my heart set on a product that must be imported (say PSS's) then I often don't see the benefit of purchasing locally. If the local shop owner can get the product for say $800 then they shouldn't be so fkn greedy on their mark up, i'd buy from them, they'd make some money and less money would leave our country. If they can get it for a similar price to me I may as well buy from O/S as my remaining money will be spent locally on other products or services.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is money leaving our shores for these tyres regardless and if it's a similar amount if I buy myself compared to how much the shop owner can import them for I believe I'm better off saving my money and spending it on Australian goods or services and therefore promoting Australian industries as oppose to some dude who imports sh!t and then whacks a margin onto it...

I'm no economist though so if I'm wrong please enlighten me..

Your wrong!!!

BobZ
Old 09-19-2012, 01:41 AM   #87
bobz

Quote:

And if the parts over here didn't cost TEN times as much as the parts over there, I would spend my money here. If I couldn't get FOUR tyres, including exorbitant shipping charges, for the price of two, I would spend my money here.
Some of us don't have the luxury of throwing ridiculous amounts of money at the local economy just because it's the local economy.

Do you understand that you are not throwing ridicules amounts of money at the economy, you are throwing ridicules amounts of money at your future and the future of other other people that are either in a job or are looking for a job.

BobZ
Old 09-19-2012, 02:36 AM   #88
bobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_DU View Post
By the sounds of things, none of you have businesses. All the pricing is set by the international companies themselves and they definitely do vary market by market. For example, BMW Australia purchases the vehicles from BMW Gmbh who most likely sells them at a much higher price than other markets and take into consideration the exchange rate as well. And don't think they would value the cars at the current rate either. Then the mark-up, that's up to BMW Australia.

Now BMW Australia might have to cover a lot more costs than let's say, BMW America. Think wages, costs of electricity, super funds, transport, insurance, land tax, PAYG tax, GST repayments, council rates, company tax. If BMW Australia couldn't make decent profit on each car they sell, then it wouldn't operate as a business. Have a look at America's tax system and wages..

Who's to blame? Well I would blame the government personally, but also every Australian is used to a very high living standard which comes at a cost.

Basically there is a lot more involved than us being ripped off. I mean, if it was that bad, then you wouldn't be seeing high end cars around now would you?
I do agree with most of the comments you made, but why bash the gov. what have they done, how have they contributed to the price disparities?

BobZ
Old 09-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #89
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobz View Post
Do you understand that you are not throwing ridicules amounts of money at the economy, you are throwing ridicules amounts of money at your future and the future of other other people that are either in a job or are looking for a job.

BobZ

Your concept is faulty. If these industries are surviving on patriotism alone then there is something wrong.

If they can't remain even SLIGHTLY competitive there's not much that can be done...

Besides which, are you telling me that because I should keep my money in Australia, I should go and buy a 5yr old Corolla and be forced to drive that because I can't afford local prices to maintain my BMW properly?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #90
bobz

Quote:
Your concept is faulty. If these industries are surviving on patriotism alone then there is something wrong.

If they can't remain even SLIGHTLY competitive there's not much that can be done...

Besides which, are you telling me that because I should keep my money in Australia, I should go and buy a 5yr old Corolla and be forced to drive that because I can't afford local prices to maintain my BMW properly?
Actually, my concept is not faulty, globalization is faulty as a concept, as seen already in the US and parts of EU.

And yes if you can't afford to buy spare parts then maybe yes you should drive a Corolla.....

BobZ
Old 09-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #91
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
Fair point, globalization is faulty as a concept.

And aren't I glad that I'm not hopelessly, pointlessly and blindly patriotic with my bank balance. I inject enough income into the economy, as we all do. You could even say any money that's not going to the BMW dealership goes into Dan Murphy's and supports the workers there!

In saying that, I do totally understand where you're coming from.

Last edited by trive2; 09-19-2012 at 09:02 PM.
trive2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #92
brandtner

My Ride: BMW
Ordered Michelin PSS last week Thursday delivered today.
brandtner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #93
brandtner

My Ride: BMW
Hi Guys,

I've had a number of PMs regarding who I dealt with and if I could supply my order number, details, etc. In the interest of protecting that employee in case they made a mistake shipping to Australia - I will not release these details. I hope you can understand. My suggestion is that you try again because things could of changed and they may well be shipping to Australia as before.
brandtner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #94
Nath

BUMP!

just a friendly heads up our friends @ tirerack are back on board sending all brands down under

just ordered and paid for 4 x Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Last edited by Nath; 11-26-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Nath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #95
JASE46M3

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
BUMP!

just a friendly heads up our friends @ tirerack are back on board sending all brands down under

BIG thanks for letting us all know
JASE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #96
MSportBMW

My Ride: E46, EVO8
Nice!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #97
Nath

Received FedEx tracking number and further email confirming shipment
Old 11-28-2012, 04:18 AM   #98
MSportBMW

My Ride: E46, EVO8
Quote:
Received FedEx tracking number and further email confirming shipment
You will like them tyres. They are awesome.

Got mine from tire rack too...

Old 11-28-2012, 04:40 AM   #99
PeteAU

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
BUMP!

Nice. How much extra fees did you end up paying (gst, import, customs, stamp duty, paper clip duty, random made-up fee etc)?

I'd like a set of PSSs, but maybe buying them 2 at a time is cheaper?
PeteAU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #100
TonyJ

My Ride: E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppmz View Post
Nice. How much extra fees did you end up paying (gst, import, customs, stamp duty, paper clip duty, random made-up fee etc)?

I'd like a set of PSSs, but maybe buying them 2 at a time is cheaper?
Yes I'd like to know that too. All up, how much can you save compared to buying local?
TonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote