E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Dead lift inquiry!

How often are you guys dead lifting on a weekly basis? I currently squat twice a week and dead lift once a week. Is it the opinion of the other lifters on the forum that I should continue to dead lift only once a week?
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Squatting you can do with every workout... this is from recent experience.

However deadlifting is so taxing on the entire body that I know many experts recommend doing it only once per week, and for no more than 3 sets... some will argue but I know personally I almost pass out when deadlifting even one set so I couldn't imagine doing more than 2-3 at 5-8 reps.

If you think you can deadlift twice a week you aren't lifting heavy enough! (imo)
Old 09-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
How often are you guys dead lifting on a weekly basis? I currently squat twice a week and dead lift once a week. Is it the opinion of the other lifters on the forum that I should continue to dead lift only once a week?
I do once a week. I used to do twice or once depending on how my workouts ended up. According to most people I listen too and expecially at your level, well above novice, you should be fine with once a week. What do your sets and weights look like.

for me right now it's

135x10
185x8
225x5
265x5 this friday.

I just do one heavy work set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post

However deadlifting is so taxing on the entire body that I know many experts recommend doing it only once per week, and for no more than 3 sets... some will argue but I know personally I almost pass out when deadlifting even one set so I couldn't imagine doing more than 2-3 at 5-8 reps.

If you think you can deadlift twice a week you aren't lifting heavy enough! (imo)
Dude a while back I did 270x5 and a few minutes I took a dump and the pushing nearly made me pass out. I'm serious hahah.

I don't agree with the "not lifting heavy enough part though". It kind of goes against being able to squat 3 times a week. Now I just do 2.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
M3Inline6

Quote:

My deadlift is weak right now (..I never really focused on the dead lift in the past), but my squat and flat/incline bench have always been really strong for my weight (..heaviest 1RM was somewhere in the realm of 480 lbs. @ 190 and 335 lbs. @ 190). Go figure! Right now I'm doing 5 sets of 5, and I, too, feel light headed and nearly pass out after I'm done. I started with 225 lbs. a couple of weeks ago, and I am slowly adding weight. I don't want to prematurely increase the weight too fast as I'm a stickler for form. I generally dead lift on Monday's.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 09-11-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I do once a week. I used to do twice or once depending on how my workouts ended up. According to most people I listen too and expecially at your level, well above novice, you should be fine with once a week. What do your sets and weights look like.

for me right now it's

135x10
185x8
225x5
265x5 this friday.

I just do one heavy work set.

Dude a while back I did 270x5 and a few minutes I took a dump and the pushing nearly made me pass out. I'm serious hahah.

I don't agree with the "not lifting heavy enough part though". It kind of goes against being able to squat 3 times a week. Now I just do 2.
The deadlift portion of my Monday workout looks something like this:
  • 135 lbs....3 sets of 10 (..warm-up)
  • 225 lbs....5 sets of 5 (..I went up to 235 lbs. this past Monday)

LOL! Dude, the same thing happened to me. Mind you, until this past Labor Day Monday, I hadn't performed a dead lift since 2006-ish, and even then it wasn't anything heavy. After those 5 sets of 5 @ 225 lbs. I proceeded to the bathroom to relieve the load. I almost passed out on the handicap rail. No BS! I had to text the g/f - who was doing cardio at the time - that I was stuck in the bathroom if she was looking for me. I literally couldn't get up without feeling woozy.

Now that I've begun incorporating the movement into my workouts, I long for more of the strain that it puts on my body. It just feels so good to feel so damn drained.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 09-11-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:

To play devil's advocate, if you are able to squat every workout, I'd say you aren't going hard enough on any single workout.

I deadlift and squat once per week each. I don't like the idea of doubling up on either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
To play devil's advocate, if you are able to squat every workout, I'd say you aren't going hard enough on any single workout.

I deadlift and squat once per week each. I don't like the idea of doubling up on either.
I somewhat agree, as my squats right now are stuck at 210lbs 5 x 5, I know I could go heavier but my form would suffer, so I am slowly working it up. I go to parallel or below when squatting. Doing this mon/wed/fri seemed to give me enough time to recover, but I've switched to the power/muscle/burn routine as of yesterday and enjoy it much more.

If I was going as heavy as I do for deadlifts with my squats, once a week would be more than enough!
Old 09-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
The deadlift portion of my Monday workout looks something like this:
  • 135 lbs....3 sets of 10 (..warm-up)
  • 225 lbs....5 sets of 5 (..I went up to 235 lbs. this past Monday)

LOL! Dude, the same thing happened to me. Mind you, until this past Labor Day Monday, I hadn't performed a dead lift since 2006-ish, and even then it wasn't anything heavy. After those 5 sets of 5 @ 225 lbs. I proceeded to the bathroom to relieve the load. I almost passed out on the handicap rail. No BS! I had to text the g/f - who was doing cardio at the time - that I was stuck in the bathroom if she was looking for me. I literally couldn't get up without feeling woozy.

Now that I've begun incorporating the movement into my workouts, I long for more of the strain that it puts on my body. It just feels so good to feel so damn drained.
I'd say that's a little too much. Try ramping up to a heavy set or too. But you may benefit from it so it's hard to say. You aren't a typical lifter in the sense that you are in much better shape, and stronger than most. You may benefit from what you're doing. I'm just relaying the message from the reputable sources I follow. They typically go all out on one heavy workset but you're working on form too so the practice may be good and you're probably still capable of much higher weights.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
i squat and dead (and pretty much everything else other than cardio) once a week
Old 09-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #10
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Deadlift is the only exercise that almost made me throw up a few times. Once a week here. Sometimes once every 10 days.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #11
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post

this

your quads are one of if not the, biggest muscle in your body, why wouldn't you give it time to repair?

crazy imo

i do rack deads personally, takes my legs out of it and i can focus more on them squatting

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 09-12-2012 at 06:28 AM.
wasp9166 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
this

your quads are one of if not the, biggest muscle in your body, why wouldn't you give it time to repair?

crazy imo

i do rack deads personally, takes my legs out of it and i can focus more on them squatting
what height do you pull it from?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #13
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
I somewhat agree, as my squats right now are stuck at 210lbs 5 x 5, I know I could go heavier but my form would suffer, so I am slowly working it up. I go to parallel or below when squatting. Doing this mon/wed/fri seemed to give me enough time to recover, but I've switched to the power/muscle/burn routine as of yesterday and enjoy it much more.

If I was going as heavy as I do for deadlifts with my squats, once a week would be more than enough!

If your form suffers, you need to build stabilizing muscles. Your balance and or flexibility needs improvement!

I deadlift one time a week.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #14
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Deadlift on back days, squat once a week on leg days which are twice a week. You are only cheating yourself if you aren't feeling like you are about to puke/pass out. I usually puke 1-2 a month.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #15
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLA View Post
Deadlift on back days, squat once a week on leg days which are twice a week. You are only cheating yourself if you aren't feeling like you are about to puke/pass out. I usually puke 1-2 a month.
This seems excessive. I don't see Olympians puking
Old 09-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #16
DylloS

Quote:
that's crazy to me lol
Old 09-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #17
DILLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
This seems excessive. I don't see Olympians puking
It's more or less the fact that I lift at 6am and am still nauseous from eating quickly and forcing myself up.. But I do push myself past my limits as much as I can.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #18
DylloS

Quote:
It's more or less the fact that I lift at 6am and am still nauseous from eating quickly and forcing myself up.. But I do push myself past my limits as much as I can.
I think i'd be too weak to lift heavy at that time. I used to do it for like a month a few years back and it got old fast. I was a pvssy then and didn't feel like it affected my light lifts.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #19
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
If your form suffers, you need to build stabilizing muscles. Your balance and or flexibility needs improvement!

I deadlift one time a week.
I agree completely, so I'm sticking with current weight... my new workout split includes some complementary exercises like romanian deadlifts etc and I've included goblet squats to try and improve balance.

As far as puking when deadlifting, I find I almost pass out from exertion and feel a bit nauseated but I've never actually had to puke... my one workout buddy has before though I think it depends on the individual. 1-2 times a month seems excessive though, thats 25-50% of the time you spend deadlifting!
Old 09-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #20
DILLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I think i'd be too weak to lift heavy at that time. I used to do it for like a month a few years back and it got old fast. I was a pvssy then and didn't feel like it affected my light lifts.
It's the only time of day I can with all I have going on and playing two sports at school. It sucked at first, but I was used to it in a couple weeks. I'm usually passed out by 10:30-11. I usually feel pretty energized because of it throughout the day. It's usually on squat days I puke... Drop sets always get me. I think I've only puked twice on deadlift.

Last edited by DILLA; 09-12-2012 at 11:58 AM.
DILLA is offline   Reply With Quote