E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #261
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Not sure if it's mentioned before, but is a hex-bar recommended for deadlifts?

Best way to DL IMO. That's really the only bar I use. So much easier to work on form with that. Put up more weight too.

you can also do 1 leg DL stuff with those

Last edited by BreakMyWallet; 11-08-2012 at 03:19 PM.
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #262
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
No problem, I just was deadlifting in my office trying to visualize your problem.
Exactly the case here lol! Luckily nobody was walking past by my office at the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
When I deadlift, I visualize standing up with the bar from a very low squatted position, in comparison to lifting the bar up from the ground. Sort of like its an extension of your body that you need to bring with you haha
Duly noted sire..

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Engage your glutes/hamstrings HARD during the first portion of the movement while keeping your lats tight and engaging your lower back....

...and squeeze the sh|t out of the bar.
Will do. I hope I'll be able to lift 300lbs one day. I do have hamstrings/quads of a soccer player, so I guess it's a matter of training them...

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #263
Sensi09

My Ride: __
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
so you just rest the barbell right in there? Seems easy enough. I might get one.
I use to do t bar rows like that but feel the bar slips around too much for my liking.

Most t bar machines I don't like simply because the 45s hit you in the chest so you can't get full range of motion. The "elevated" t bars help with this.

At my gym I use something like this which I'm a big fan of. Usually do them before deadlifts which might be a mistake

Sensi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #264
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi09 View Post
I use to do t bar rows like that but feel the bar slips around too much for my liking.

Most t bar machines I don't like simply because the 45s hit you in the chest so you can't get full range of motion. The "elevated" t bars help with this.

At my gym I use something like this which I'm a big fan of. Usually do them before deadlifts which might be a mistake

def a mistake. Always do the most taxing workouts first.
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #265
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Not unless you're purposely using some form of pre-exhaustion shocking principle

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #266
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
Not unless you're purposely using some form of pre-exhaustion shocking principle
Isn't "shocking" the muscle just a myth?

I can understand the benefit though. Doing a deadlift after being a little tired would require you to go about the lift a little differently.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #267
Sensi09

I agree in general, but sometimes the weight just feels better for me after I have a good sweat going. Takes me a long time to get warmed up though.

I did DLs first a week or two ago and thought I'd be able to put more weight on, but lifted the same weight.

Last edited by Sensi09; 11-09-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #268
M3Inline6
I'm now boosting! Funnnn!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
I agree in general, but sometimes the weight just feels better for me after I have a good sweat going. Takes me a long time to get warmed up though.

I did DLs first a week or two ago and thought I'd be able to put more weight on, but lifted the same weight.

"To increasa the deadlifta, you musta deadlifta with more weighta every weeka."

Sincerely,

Wario

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack View Post
Dude, you are massively gay for Capoeira. Yes I know this has been well established for quite some time.
Quote:
While not big, I bet it's firm and can grind the sh1t out of a crank.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #269
M3Inline6

My body is so wrecked today (..from the dead lifts yesterday morning). Going for 380-390 lbs. for 3-4 reps my next DL session. That ominous 405 lb benchmark looms in the background.

Quote:
Dude, you are massively gay for Capoeira. Yes I know this has been well established for quite some time.
Quote:

Last edited by M3Inline6; 11-09-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #270
bimmerchop

Quote:
Isn't "shocking" the muscle just a myth?
In what aspect? Different shocking techniques are very useful when implemented correctly... Pre-exhaustion is just one method. Are you saying drop-sets, supersets, rest-pause, negatives, etc... are myths as well?

I'm not saying one should do rows before deads, but pre-exhaustion training does have it's place.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
Old 11-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #271
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
I'll throw a bit of a curve... I feel "complex" (usually the most demanding) exercises should be completed first as you have a fresh mind and body, and are less likely to suffer an injury due to fatigue. my 2c
Old 11-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #272
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
I'll throw a bit of a curve... I feel "complex" (usually the most demanding) exercises should be completed first as you have a fresh mind and body, and are less likely to suffer an injury due to fatigue. my 2c
For the most part yes, you generally want to use your ATP for the most body intensive/important exercises. However that said, what rich said about pre exhaustion exercises is true. They have their place and do work well. Try adding a set of drop set deadlifts at the end of your back workout, and you tell me they don't work!
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #273
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
In what aspect? Different shocking techniques are very useful when implemented correctly... Pre-exhaustion is just one method. Are you saying drop-sets, supersets, rest-pause, negatives, etc... are myths as well?

I'm not saying one should do rows before deads, but pre-exhaustion training does have it's place.
I'm talking more in the sense of switching things up every few weeks to trick the muscle. I agree with what you said though.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #274
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:

My primary leg exercise is one of 4 things- squats, hip sled leg press, plate loaded squat press or deadlift. I only do one major/primary exercise in a leg day, and then follow the rest with anything from leg extensions to lunges. I am like you, where I do the major exercise first. I need the energy and the power up front. After that, I can reduce weight on everything else and work more with form as I lose energy.
I can see how some people might want to do some other stuff first, but for me the only thing I do before the major exercise is a light 5-10min cardio session on the elliptical to just get warmed up. If I did leg extensions and leg curls, there's no way I'd be able to safely put up the numbers that I do.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 11-09-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #275
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post

My primary leg exercise is one of 4 things- squats, hip sled leg press, plate loaded squat press or deadlift. I only do one major/primary exercise in a leg day, and then follow the rest with anything from leg extensions to lunges. I am like you, where I do the major exercise first. I need the energy and the power up front. After that, I can reduce weight on everything else and work more with form as I lose energy.
I can see how some people might want to do some other stuff first, but for me the only thing I do before the major exercise is a light 5-10min cardio session on the elliptical to just get warmed up. If I did leg extensions and leg curls, there's no way I'd be able to safely put up the numbers that I do.
I'm the same way. Big stuff first!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #276
bimmerchop

Quote:
I'm talking more in the sense of switching things up every few weeks to trick the muscle. I agree with what you said though.
I'm a little confused... Since when is switching things up a myth? Varying exercises, or even simply modifying current ones whether it be by way of tempo, reps, weight, etc., can be beneficial when someone is trying to break through a plateau.

euro.techniks

Old 11-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #277
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
helps from the workouts getting "boring" too
Old 11-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #278
Sensi09

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
"To increasa the deadlifta, you musta deadlifta with more weighta every weeka."

Sincerely,

Wario

I wish. It was like that for a couple months, but has grounded to a halt. Probably going to try a deload or something
Old 11-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #279
Sensi09

I actually do leg presses before I squat. It might be no wonder that I've stalled on squats, but it takes me forever to warm up if I start with squats....creaky knees and all.

In my case, I don't think it makes much of a difference. Started with squats a few weeks ago to try and get past a plateau, but to no avail. Lately I cut my "heavier" sets from leg presses, but still end up with the same number of reps and weight on squats.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #280
M3Inline6

Quote:
I actually do leg presses before I squat. It might be no wonder that I've stalled on squats, but it takes me forever to warm up if I start with squats....creaky knees and all.

In my case, I don't think it makes much of a difference. Started with squats a few weeks ago to try and get past a plateau, but to no avail. Lately I cut my "heavier" sets from leg presses, but still end up with the same number of reps and weight on squats.
Here's a suggestion for the knees...

....try doing 4 or 5 sets of body squats for 15-ish reps and foam roll between sets. Then do 3 warm up sets under load. That helps get me all lubed up for a squat session.

I'd also stop leg pressing before the squat session if your intention is to progress weekly. That's my opinion anyway. Leg pressing first would definitely sap my squat strength unless it was a really light load (..which would be pointless for me).

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by M3Inline6; 11-10-2012 at 07:08 PM.