E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #581
Sensi09

My Ride: __
Do you guys still do shrugs or any dedicated work for traps?

Haven't done many shrugs since I've started DLs. Oh and I don't do any cleans.
Sensi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #582
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi09 View Post
Do you guys still do shrugs or any dedicated work for traps?

Haven't done many shrugs since I've started DLs. Oh and I don't do any cleans.
I don't know if its form, genetics, or he simple differences in angles of how we're all put together... Some guys get insane trap development from DLs, while others (like me) get none.

I still do (and respond very well to) direct trap work (shrugs on a smith machine just to piss everyone here off).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #583
dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversixspeed View Post
Can't say I knew that, but I'll take your word for it
Since I became more client-facing at work, I've started caring about how my hands look. I get a manicure every 2-4 weeks. When I'm in a suit, all you can see (of "me") is my head and hands. I don't like having my hands in the table and looking like I grip rocks all day.

They give you a forearm massage at the place I go to. Maybe I'm awkward sometimes, but I made eye contact with the last girl and felt instantly uncomfortable (bc the massage felt good). My only thought was...how do guys go to prostitutes if I can't even look a stranger in the eye when she's massaging my forearm with some sort of scrubbing stuff?

Sorry guys. I think I just ruined the thread.

Quote:
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

Old 12-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #584
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
cleans,snatches for traps
Old 12-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #585
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I don't believe that chalk is allowed in my gym, so I don't use it. I have fairly soft hands, so I'm intentionally trying to rough them up. Black folks and their abundant use of cocoa butter and other moisturizers.
as we in the game like to call it: slave feet. I guess this can apply to hands as well
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #586
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Yeah. I dont know if I can say I play hockey. I put on skates and hold a stick and slide around, lol. Not a lot of skill on my end...

But yes, I wear the socks under skates and they are amazing. They go up pretty high too, so it will make it so tape wont stick to your legs if you tape your shins guards on. We do ship to western canada, no problem.
What about snowboarding? How you think they'd work? Any extra fabric around the heel/toe areas? Aka contact points
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #587
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
What about snowboarding? How you think they'd work? Any extra fabric around the heel/toe areas? Aka contact points
I think they'd be great. Super tight and no extra fabric anywhere. If you want to buy a pair and end up not liking them we take returns, even if the stuff has been worn. Ive yet to find someone who didnt love the socks.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #588
Silversixspeed

My Ride: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Since I became more client-facing at work, I've started caring about how my hands look. I get a manicure every 2-4 weeks. When I'm in a suit, all you can see (of "me") is my head and hands. I don't like having my hands in the table and looking like I grip rocks all day.

They give you a forearm massage at the place I go to. Maybe I'm awkward sometimes, but I made eye contact with the last girl and felt instantly uncomfortable (bc the massage felt good). My only thought was...how do guys go to prostitutes if I can't even look a stranger in the eye when she's massaging my forearm with some sort of scrubbing stuff?

Sorry guys. I think I just ruined the thread.
That makes sense, I can see it in a more professional type of career. I grew up on a farm, and work at a Caterpillar dealership, so having a little dirt under my nails is the norm.

Why did that make you feel uncomfortable? haha
Silversixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #589
rohde88

My Ride: S2000

Form check please. These are not the identical lifts. I feel like I am standing up a bit too early, should try to lift more from squeezing my glutes before pulling the bar.

Thoughts?
Old 12-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #590
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post

Form check please. These are not the identical lifts. I feel like I am standing up a bit too early, should try to lift more from squeezing my glutes before pulling the bar.

Thoughts?
form is pretty good. I think if you take the tension off the bar before you start it may help. It seems like you lift and then the barbell locks in place and raises. Hopefully you know what I'm talking about.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #591
rohde88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
form is pretty good. I think if you take the tension off the bar before you start it may help. It seems like you lift and then the barbell locks in place and raises. Hopefully you know what I'm talking about.
Yea, there is a surprising amount of free play between the bar inside the plate and then collar-> bar and then the bar bending another 1/8". It adds up though.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #592
dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
I have a pair of his socks and they're great. There's not the same level of compression in the heel/toe areas, but it doesn't make those areas baggy.

I've worn/washed them a bunch of times and they've stood up really well, too. No pilling, loss of compression, or loss of color.

I think his compression trunks would be good snowboarding, too. Adds a bit of...resiliency (can't think of a better term) to the hips.

Quote:

Last edited by dwass325; 12-21-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #593
BreakMyWallet

form looks alright, though those are close do sumo deads then regular, still a great lift. i would start pointing your toes inward a little. is that the weight you normally do for a set of 2?
Old 12-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #594
DylloS

Quote:
Yea, there is a surprising amount of free play between the bar inside the plate and then collar-> bar and then the bar bending another 1/8". It adds up though.
yea I do that too. I'm in such a rush to get the weight up that I start raising my hips just a little too early.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #595
rohde88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
form looks alright, though those are close do sumo deads then regular, still a great lift. i would start pointing your toes inward a little. is that the weight you normally do for a set of 2?
Yea, I can't grip more than 315, I think that weight was actually 295 (45,45,35)

So i do 1RM of 315 maybe 2x. I do a 275 x5 x3 workout much more often.

I will bring my toes in.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #596
BreakMyWallet

Do your hands hurt when you go more, or is your grip just weak?
Old 12-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #597
rohde88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
Do your hands hurt when you go more, or is your grip just weak?
it tears up my skin/calluses.

My hands are so rough right now I feel like solly at his computer.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #598
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Pretty good form as the others have said, just kill that slack first. Good job man!

Quote:

Keep doing it. It'll get better.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 12-21-2012 at 03:40 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #599
DylloS

Quote:

this guy!
Old 12-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #600
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
This helped me with my form in the past. I've always been a guy who reads and visualizes what I read when I perform the movement compared to watching someone perform it. I'm still guilty of #7 from time to time which hurts like a b*tch

Quote:
Proper technique on Deadlifts is crucial to lift big weights, gain muscle and avoid injuries. Yet there are guys who have been Deadlifting for 5 years and who are still making dumb mistakes, waiting for an injury to happen. Worse, these guys pass on bad Deadlift advice to new lifters who don't know the difference.

Here are 13 Deadlift mistakes, including many I made when I began Deadlifting a decade ago, that you better avoid unless you want to look really stupid.

1. Doing Deadlifts Top-Down. By walking the weight back out of the Rack, and doing each rep top-down as it was a Squat or Bench Press. Why do you think it's called a DEADlift? Because you're supposed to start from the floor.

2. Not Hitting The Floor on Each Rep. By doing Deadlifts from the safety pins of your Power Rack (these are Rack Pulls) or by not touching the floor on each rep (Romanian Deadlift-style). Either way, this mistake is like not hitting parallel on Squats or not touching your chest on the Bench Press: you're doing partials.

Some Deadlift bouncing the weight up, others let it rest for a second, but the bar should always touch the floor between reps. Again, it's called DEADlifts.

3. Wearing Gloves. Gloves add inches to the bar which kills your grip strength. Worse, they don't prevent callus formation anyway. What will: Deadlifting with a correct grip - bar NOT in the middle of your hand, but close to your fingers - and using chalk (if your gym doesn't allow it, get an eco ball).

4. Rolling Your Shoulders. Guaranteed way to wreck your shoulders. Never roll them at the top of your Deadlifts. Just pull the weight from the floor, lock your hips & knees, and keep your shoulders back & down. If you want bigger traps, increase your Deadlift and eat more so you actually gain weight.

5. Standing Too Wide. Deadlifts are NOT Squats. If your stance is too wide, your legs will get in the way of your arms on each rep. You could Deadlift with a wider grip, but then you'll have to pull the bar higher which makes the same weight more challenging. Simply narrow your stance to give your arms room.

6. Starting With Your Hips Too Low. You'll keep hitting your shins and the bar will end up too much in front of your body (which is more stressful on your lower back and less effective for strength). Again, Deadlifts are NOT Squats - start with your hips higher so your shoulder-blades are directly over the bar.

7. Hitting Your Knees. If you break your knees too early on the way down, you will hit them (which obviously hurts) and the bar will end up too far in front of your body for your next rep (see #6). Lower the weight by pushing your hips back first and only bend your legs once the bar reaches knee level.

8. Curling The Weight. Starting with flexed elbows and then straightening them right before you pull is useless - there's no way you're ever going to curl what you can Deadlift unless your work weight is too light. Keep your elbows locked by squeezing your triceps so you don't end up ripping your biceps tendon.

9. Deadlifting In Running Shoes. Any shoe with air or gel filling doesn't work for Deadlifts because its sole is compressible - it's unstable, causes power loss, and messes with your technique. Get shoes with hard soles like Chuck Taylor's or Deadlift barefoot like I do (closer to the ground = more weight).

10. Looking Up. Usually to check your Deadlift technique in the front mirror. Problems: your hips will end up too low (see #6), you can twist your neck, and the mirror only gives info about the front plane. Stop looking in the mirror, keep your head inline with your torso and check your technique by taping yourself.

11. Pulling Instead of Pushing. Deadlifts are a pull, but since you have to use your hip muscles it's better to think of them as a push. So instead of pulling all the weight with your back, push through your heels, force your hips forward once the bar reaches knee level, and squeeze your glutes at the top.

12. Hyperextending Your Back. Repeatedly leaning back at the top is as bad as Deadlifting with a round lower back - you will get a hernia. And unless you're competing and want to make sure that the judges see you locked the weights, there's no need to lean back. Just stand tall with locked hips and knees, done.

13. Stiff-legging The Weight. Starting with your hips sky-high, the opposite of mistake #6. This, a Stiff-legged Deadlift, is more stressful on your lower back and less effective for strength because you're not using your legs. Deadlift with your hips lower so your shoulder-blades end up over the bar.

Finally, do not waste your energy worrying about what other guys in your gym are doing. If they ask you for advice, give it. If not, mind your own business and lead by example by making sure that you're Deadlifting with proper technique