E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
Old 02-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #741
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Yeah I did starting strength this summer. Keyword "starting". Volume needs to be added in slowly as you increase in strength.
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #742
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Yeah I did starting strength this summer. Keyword "starting". Volume needs to be added in slowly as you increase in strength.
I feel like we were both probably a little too advanced to get the most out of this program. I wish I found that when I was in high school and walked around with random woodys all day long.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #743
Silversixspeed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Eden Prairie, MN
Posts: 85
My Ride: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi09 View Post
For you guys around 405 for a max, what does your rep/weight scheme look like for the rest of your DLs?
I'd say mine is pretty similar to Dyllos, but I've been going slightly lighter lately to really practice my form. I don't want to try going above 405 again until I know my form is in check.
Silversixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #744
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Would anyone disagree that if you aren't fking up your shins (scraping / bruising) you don't have proper form? Definitely an easy way to tell I think
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #745
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Would anyone disagree that if you aren't fking up your shins (scraping / bruising) you don't have proper form? Definitely an easy way to tell I think
I rarely scrape my shins. I don't know if you have to.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #746
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
yeah but you are wearing glights compression socks?
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #747
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Would anyone disagree that if you aren't fking up your shins (scraping / bruising) you don't have proper form? Definitely an easy way to tell I think
Scraping shins is suggestive of proper form, but I wouldn't say that NOT having scraped shins necessarily means your form is bad.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #748
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
yeah but you are wearing glights compression socks?
no I barely make contact most of the times but my form needs a little work. Next time I do it I'll be more conscious of it.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #749
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In the cockpit of an M4!
Posts: 1,793
My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Would anyone disagree that if you aren't fking up your shins (scraping / bruising) you don't have proper form? Definitely an easy way to tell I think
I'm going to say no. I may on the rare occasion scrape my shin enough to make me look "ashy". A quick rub and the "ashiness" is gone. I stand about 2-3" from the bar (..same with power cleans). In fact, I notice that if I'm too close to the bar, I'm weaker. There's a "sweet spot" when it comes to foot placement.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #750
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
yeah, rippetoe recommends placing your feet in a position where the bar is cutting them in half, looking from a birds eye view. When you lower from the hips down into position, the bar should be touching your ankle/shin. Your scalpula should be over the bar... from what I've studied this is the single most important thing. The weight will not move off the floor if your scalpula isn't in line, and without proper form your body will compensate to achieve this... causing strain / injury.

I don't drive the bar INTO my shins, but I definitely guide it up them, creating some friction. I haven't bled or anything but I've definitely got some noticeable marks that fade away after a day or two.

I spent a lot of time in January studying video and practicing in the gym, and I've finally found my own "sweet spot" which happens to rub on my shins. Others may be different!
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #751
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In the cockpit of an M4!
Posts: 1,793
My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
yeah, rippetoe recommends placing your feet in a position where the bar is cutting them in half, looking from a birds eye view. When you lower from the hips down into position, the bar should be touching your ankle/shin. Your scalpula should be over the bar... from what I've studied this is the single most important thing. The weight will not move off the floor if your scalpula isn't in line, and without proper form your body will compensate to achieve this... causing strain / injury.

I don't drive the bar INTO my shins, but I definitely guide it up them, creating some friction. I haven't bled or anything but I've definitely got some noticeable marks that fade away after a day or two.

I spent a lot of time in January studying video and practicing in the gym, and I've finally found my own "sweet spot" which happens to rub on my shins. Others may be different!
In my opinion Rippetoe has you placed far too close to the bar and is only a very general guideline. I base my position off the distance between my shin and the bar. I don't pay attention to where my feet are necessarily. I'd also argue that external hip rotation is extremely important. I do agree that your "sweet spot" may be different.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-13-2013 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360787792
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #752
sweetbro858
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 549
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I feel like we were both probably a little too advanced to get the most out of this program. I wish I found that when I was in high school and walked around with random woodys all day long.
Not trying to sound rude or anything, but are you serious here?
__________________
sweetbro858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #753
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
In my opinion Rippetoe has you placed far too close to the bar and is only a very general guideline. I base my position off the distance between my shin and the bar. I don't pay attention to where my feet are necessarily. I'd also argue that external hip rotation is extremely important. I do agree that your "sweet spot" may be different.
I agree, I use that as a starting point and once I've gotten into my starting position I make sure the bar is touching my ankle. For me, the feet in half starting position actually does make the bar be in proper position.

The first time I did a deadlift properly I just knew it felt right. Hard to explain, and even harder to teach I'm sure
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #754
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbro858 View Post
Not trying to sound rude or anything, but are you serious here?
1x5 deadlifting would be less than optimal for me at this point. Once you build up the muscular endurance from starting strength, it starts to require more intensity.
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #755
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
A lot of guys who have proper form scrape their shins. A lot of guys who have proper form have rough hands.

These do not, by themselves, prove/disprove proper form.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #756
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbro858 View Post
Not trying to sound rude or anything, but are you serious here?
absolutely. Someone that has workout for 7 years albeit sporadically, will not get nearly the affect of this program as someone first staring to workout. My body was most likely accustomed to the movements and muscle break down this program was designed for. Don't get me wrong, I think it was a great program but I thing I could have done just as well with others.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #757
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Could be rounding the back, being too low to the ground, bending at knees versus hips at end of rep etc... I agree.

I think my question was more on the lines of "is the bar being brought up properly if you aren't scraping/touching shins, assuming your lower back is straight."
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #758
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In the cockpit of an M4!
Posts: 1,793
My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I agree, I use that as a starting point and once I've gotten into my starting position I make sure the bar is touching my ankle. For me, the feet in half starting position actually does make the bar be in proper position.

The first time I did a deadlift properly I just knew it felt right. Hard to explain, and even harder to teach I'm sure
Did you ever post a video of you dead lifting? I'd like to see it.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #759
sweetbro858
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 549
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
1x5 deadlifting would be less than optimal for me at this point. Once you build up the muscular endurance from starting strength, it starts to require more intensity.
ah, gotcha. ya I was more so asking about lifting heavy just 3 days a week with lots of rest, instead of more volume?
__________________
sweetbro858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #760
sweetbro858
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 549
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
absolutely. Someone that has workout for 7 years albeit sporadically, will not get nearly the affect of this program as someone first staring to workout. My body was most likely accustomed to the movements and muscle break down this program was designed for. Don't get me wrong, I think it was a great program but I thing I could have done just as well with others.
Yeah for sure. I looked at SS because I liked the idea of squatting a couple times a week. I'm not so sure if I'll go 100% on the SS routine, I was just wondering about it.
__________________
sweetbro858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use