E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #901
wallyworld

My Ride: 2003 325i 4dr sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MpoweredM View Post
No where near some of the fellas here but I wanted to post a video and get some insight on form. I only recorded my last two or three sets where I may have been more fatigued to see if I maintained form. This is 255x2. Was probably my 6-7th set. Was my first time doing sole deadlfts as I usually do cleans so I didn't know my weight and had started to low. But regardless... Have at it..

Hope it works. Used that YouTube capture for the iPhone.
u have a slight arch in your lower back. this isnt bad cause I have the same thing. I believe it may be tight hip flexors or it may be something else. Im not sure how to correct it. I rowed for 4 yrs in high school. Rowing is close to a deadlift sideways and my coach would always tell me to get my back straight. I thought it was but the video doesnt lie. Anyway long story short that small arch in the lower back is nothing to worry about just dont let your upper back cave in (which you arent so good). I agree with dabears it kind of looks like you are lifting with the back. I would focus on activating the quads and squeezing the glutes. This will take strain off your back
wallyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #902
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
thanks! Will do.

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #903
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Damn man! I'm STILL trying to catch your ass.
Don't trip dude. Sprained my Mcl and hamstring the other day on a slide. You got a week or two to gain some ground. Haha
Old 04-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #904
BreakMyWallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
everything I've ever read / heard on the difference once you sort through the garbage is that it really is preference based on your body type. So the skinny of it would be "whatever feels the most comfortable". It is a bit more hip flexor / glute dominant than conventional (legs over back).

It reduces the ROM by about 14%... but that is pretty damn immaterial imo.
I'm not sure about that. Maybe the actual amount that the bar travels, but being able to use a close stance and deadlift will make everything more flexible in the long run.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #905
BreakMyWallet

As far as the video, keep your chest up man. It will straighten out your lower back. The first one you did it okay, second one, not so much.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #906
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
so i deadlifted yesterday. i do indeed feel it in my hamstrings when i do romanians. the problem is that i'm not doing so much work on my legs that they legitimately feel sore or like they got a hardcore workout. i've always felt like i'm doing work on my back (lats and lower back) and just doing secondary work on my legs. am i doing it wrong?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #907
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
so i deadlifted yesterday. i do indeed feel it in my hamstrings when i do romanians. the problem is that i'm not doing so much work on my legs that they legitimately feel sore or like they got a hardcore workout. i've always felt like i'm doing work on my back (lats and lower back) and just doing secondary work on my legs. am i doing it wrong?
I think of it like this

Regular deads are primarily back and secondary legs (I only get sore in my entire back sometimes)
Romaians are primarily Hams and secondary back (I get sore in my hams and lower back only)
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #908
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Question: when I do Deadlifts I'm finding I can get more reps if I touch the bar to the floor, the start my next rep compared with letting it sit on floor for a second or two then starting next rep (about two less reps total I get with same weight).

I think the momentum gain is minimal, and has more to do with me becoming less "rigid" when I let bar rest.

Are these considered cheat reps?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #909
DylloS

Quote:
Question: when I do Deadlifts I'm finding I can get more reps if I touch the bar to the floor, the start my next rep compared with letting it sit on floor for a second or two then starting next rep (about two less reps total I get with same weight).

I think the momentum gain is minimal, and has more to do with me becoming less "rigid" when I let bar rest.

Are these considered cheat reps?
It's considered touch and go. Plenty of people do that. I do it. I think the best bet is doing a little of everything. I may go for reps of 3 of these too.

Last edited by DylloS; 04-05-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #910
dabears

Yeah I always hear "it's called a DEADlift because you lift it from the floor" but it's usually in response to someone doing rack pulls.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #911
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Very nice article about proper deadlift technique (with pictures):

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...technique.html

dabears, the way you're doing it is option 2 below and is recommended by the author:

Quote:
Another issue is what to do between reps. The three basic options are to:

1. Rest completely between reps, reset to a proper lifting position and pull. This treats the set like a series of singles.
2. Lower the bar into a proper deadlift position, pause briefly on the floor (without losing body position) before starting the next pull. This allows you to get some benefit of the stretch-shorten cycle and is generally a little bit easier than method 1.
3. Use a touch and go or even small bounce off the floor. For most people, I donít recommend this; most lifters wonít maintain a good back position.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #912
dabears

thanks that was a great read. love lyle's stuff
Old 04-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #913
BreakMyWallet

thats exactly right. its really hard to keep a good back positioning when you touch and go. you tend to "yank" it more and sink your chest
Old 04-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #914
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
thats exactly right. its really hard to keep a good back positioning when you touch and go. you tend to "yank" it more and sink your chest
...and you can't properly brace your core when you "touch & go".
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #915
DylloS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
...and you can't properly brace your core when you "touch & go".
so do you guys think it doesn't have a place?

I personally think it's a much different feel. 225x10 touch and go beats my muscles up much more than a 275x5 with a pause does. The 275x5 will seem heavier with stop and go but I like to switch it up.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #916
BreakMyWallet

You should focus more on the process rather than the results. Half of the time I don't even get very sore from workouts, though my numbers will definitely go up. As far as having a place, I guess if you were trying to beat the clock or something, but you are much more prone to injury obviously. Maybe 135lbs and 100 reps or something. If you can properly touch and go and keep your form then go for it. Once the bar touches the ground your arms are no longer being pulled forward from the bar
Old 04-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #917
dabears

forgot I had a video from awhile ago

this is my version of touch and go....

I think I hold form well enough? I'm not bouncing it that's for sure, I wouldn't recommend that
Old 04-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #918
DylloS

Quote:
You should focus more on the process rather than the results. Half of the time I don't even get very sore from workouts, though my numbers will definitely go up. As far as having a place, I guess if you were trying to beat the clock or something, but you are much more prone to injury obviously. Maybe 135lbs and 100 reps or something. If you can properly touch and go and keep your form then go for it. Once the bar touches the ground your arms are no longer being pulled forward from the bar
That's true too.

Quote:
forgot I had a video from awhile ago

this is my version of touch and go....

I think I hold form well enough? I'm not bouncing it that's for sure, I wouldn't recommend that
That's a slow touch and go but still a touch and go none the less. I would put that in the middle of a regular touch and go and a reset. My touch and goes are much faster, I'm sure my form breaks down a bit though.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #919
dabears

yeah I think when you start removing the controlled descent + add momentum, form will go out the window, or at the very least breakdown a bit (just like most exercises).
Old 04-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #920
ONEinc_StephenK

My Ride: Nothing but BMW
Question, when you guys deadlift, do you ever feel like slight stretch in your lower back ? I've been doing deads for about 2 months now and no matter what, once I feel a bit fatigued from it I always feel a pull. That scares me enough to not go any further, it doesn't hurt or anything, I just feel a pull.
ONEinc_StephenK is offline   Reply With Quote