E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
Old 07-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #1201
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Dead lift inquiry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Yeah my hands were in even worse shape on Wednesday, had a huge open sore on my right hand. I keep forming blisters under my calluses.

And I am learning more and more how technical DLs are, some minor changes to my form and I was able to lift heavier weights a lot easier.

Next day I do DLs I may tape the bar up, and I still need to pick up some liquid chalk.
Get one of those multi-tool pedicure things (scraper, brush, pumice stone, etc) and do some maintenance on your hands. There's no reason you have to let callouses hold you back.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #1202
bgsmith
Registered User
 
bgsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,165
My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Get one of those multi-tool pedicure things (scraper, brush, pumice stone, etc) and do some maintenance on your hands. There's no reason you have to let callouses hold you back.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Yeah I am going to pick up a pumice stone this weekend and do some better maintenance on them, they aren't really holding me back they are just annoying, nothing some band aids and tape can't temporarily fix.
__________________
2006 TRD Sport 4x4, Wheels - 17x8 Pro Comp Series 52 Rock Crawlers
bgsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #1203
bgsmith
Registered User
 
bgsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,165
My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Shaved down my calluses and taped up the bar today for DLs, my workout felt great.
__________________
2006 TRD Sport 4x4, Wheels - 17x8 Pro Comp Series 52 Rock Crawlers
bgsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #1204
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,154
My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Shaved down my calluses and taped up the bar today for DLs, my workout felt great.
Just soak in warm water and then scrub with pumice stone?


[bimmerapp]
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #1205
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,154
My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
I just put up 335 for 2 reps on tuesday
Felt great
But now I think it is time for me to get a belt before I try to go any heavier
My goal is 405 by November

Please tell me what you are using and how you like it


[bimmerapp]
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)

Last edited by XKxRome0ox; 09-05-2013 at 10:32 PM.
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:33 PM   #1206
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Dead lift inquiry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
I just put up 335 for 2 reps on tuesday
Felt great
But now I think it is time for me to get a belt before I try to go any heavier
My goal is 405 by November

Please tell me what you are using and how you like it


[bimmerapp]
http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt....ERBELT_LEVER13
Love it.



Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #1207
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,154
My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
darn it
i know about that ... and that it is highly regarded
but it's so damn expensive
especially since i'm also thinking about buying the rehband knee sleeves
so i was hoping to find something good but cheaper
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:21 AM   #1208
BreakMyWallet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 9,215
My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
I just put up 335 for 2 reps on tuesday
Felt great
But now I think it is time for me to get a belt before I try to go any heavier
My goal is 405 by November

Please tell me what you are using and how you like it


[bimmerapp]
you dont need a belt for that weight
__________________
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:11 AM   #1209
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,154
My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
you dont need a belt for that weight
so at what weight would you actually tell someone to get a belt?

i think it will help me
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #1210
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
darn it
i know about that ... and that it is highly regarded
but it's so damn expensive
especially since i'm also thinking about buying the rehband knee sleeves
so i was hoping to find something good but cheaper
It is but it will last your lifetime plus your sons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
you dont need a belt for that weight
Here we go again. We've discussed this a million times. "when you need a belt" is relative. 350lbs to him might feel like 510 to you. It's about the stress on your body the weight causes. Not an arbitrary number. A belt helps everything. It makes the core stronger, it keeps you full of pressure, and can be safer if used right. I know many don't use it for deads because it can be uncomfortable but to say he doesn't need it at that weight is just wrong.

I'm betting you never read the posts on 70sbig.com about it. If anyone reads these and doesn't consider getting a belt they are crazy.
http://70sbig.com/blog/2009/12/belt-me-up-scotty/

http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/07/belts-redux/

http://70sbig.com/blog/2010/04/more-...earing-a-belt/

Ed, take 15 minutes and read these.


Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
so at what weight would you actually tell someone to get a belt?

i think it will help me
It will help you.

Last edited by DylloS; 09-06-2013 at 08:24 AM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #1211
bgsmith
Registered User
 
bgsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,165
My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
Just soak in warm water and then scrub with pumice stone?


[bimmerapp]
I bought a callus shaver as well.
__________________
2006 TRD Sport 4x4, Wheels - 17x8 Pro Comp Series 52 Rock Crawlers
bgsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #1212
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
darn it
i know about that ... and that it is highly regarded
but it's so damn expensive
especially since i'm also thinking about buying the rehband knee sleeves
so i was hoping to find something good but cheaper
Why do you think you need knee wraps? While I'm not against lifting accessories, I think a lot of people get caught up in them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
you dont need a belt for that weight
As Mike said below, I have to disagree with you here. Not that I'm saying he for sure does or doesn't need it, but that thinking you can make such a call based on so little information, over the internet, to a stranger, just doesn't make sense.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
It is but it will last your lifetime plus your sons.


Here we go again. We've discussed this a million times. "when you need a belt" is relative. 350lbs to him might feel like 510 to you. It's about the stress on your body the weight causes. Not an arbitrary number. A belt helps everything. It makes the core stronger, it keeps you full of pressure, and can be safer if used right. I know many don't use it for deads because it can be uncomfortable but to say he doesn't need it at that weight is just wrong.

I'm betting you never read the posts on 70sbig.com about it. If anyone reads these and doesn't consider getting a belt they are crazy.
http://70sbig.com/blog/2009/12/belt-me-up-scotty/

http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/07/belts-redux/

http://70sbig.com/blog/2010/04/more-...earing-a-belt/

Ed, take 15 minutes and read these.

It will help you.
There's also the issue of joints. Look at Flex Wheeler. His strength in bodybuilding (his small joints and waist) was also his weakness. We're not all built the same.

For what it's worth, I have an Inzer belt. It's uncomfortable as hell but it works great. If you're going to buy a belt, buy a belt. Don't waste your money on some nylon garbage from Sports Authority.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #1213
BreakMyWallet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 9,215
My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Dead lift inquiry!

Size/strength is relative. But for 3 plates and assuming your other numbers are relevant, I don't see why in the world you would need a belt. It's not about when or how much, but if you can deadlift 315 then that should be a ROUNDED number, meaning your body is built relative all around. If that is the case, then just sack up. I don't know why people insist on belts. Just strengthen your core more or don't go up again, this is just my philosophy. If you want to get a belt, go get a belt.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

Last edited by BreakMyWallet; 09-07-2013 at 09:29 PM.
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #1214
BreakMyWallet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 9,215
My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Dead lift inquiry!

Size/strength is relative. But for 3 plates and assuming your other numbers are relevant, I don't see why in the world you would need a belt. It's not about when or how much, but if you can deadlift 315 then that should be a ROUNDED number, meaning your body is built relative all around. If that is the case, then just sack up. I don't know why people insist on belts. Just strengthen your core more or don't go up again, this is just my philosophy. If you want to get a belt, go get a belt.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

Last edited by BreakMyWallet; 09-07-2013 at 09:28 PM.
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:09 AM   #1215
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,154
My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Why do you think you need knee wraps? While I'm not against lifting accessories, I think a lot of people get caught up in them.

not knee wrap, knee sleeves
my knees have always been bad, even when i was young
they always bothered me when i was on the track team in high school and they constantly pop and creak
now that i've been squatting regularly, i am also hurting above the knees

i'm not going to buy lifting shoes or other stuff
but i think i will benefit from a belt and knee sleeves
and yes, if i'm going to buy anything, i might as well spend the money and do it right
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #1216
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Dead lift inquiry!

I have an Inzer belt (buckle, not lever.) it's about three years old and looks brand new still - I use it a lot, it's just built like a little tank.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #1217
BreakMyWallet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 9,215
My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Dead lift inquiry!

So I tried a inzer belt just now from a friend of mine. Sticking by my no belt theory. Much harder to squat (for me) over 350. 355 seemed hard with it and 375 was easy without it. Might be something you need to get use to, but personally, I like going without it.

I can see why they can work though, especially if you have a weak core.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #1218
bAby norAA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 513
My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
Size/strength is relative. But for 3 plates and assuming your other numbers are relevant, I don't see why in the world you would need a belt. It's not about when or how much, but if you can deadlift 315 then that should be a ROUNDED number, meaning your body is built relative all around. If that is the case, then just sack up. I don't know why people insist on belts. Just strengthen your core more or don't go up again, this is just my philosophy. If you want to get a belt, go get a belt.

So I tried a inzer belt just now from a friend of mine. Sticking by my no belt theory. Much harder to squat (for me) over 350. 355 seemed hard with it and 375 was easy without it. Might be something you need to get use to, but personally, I like going without it.

I can see why they can work though, especially if you have a weak core.
While some choose to go belt less that doesn't make the belt useless. The fact that the lift was harder for you while using a belt shows you don't know how to properly use your intra-abdominal pressure against the belt correctly.

I compete at a national level in powerlifting and strongman competitions and I can tell you from much experience that the "weak core" theory may hold for beginners and even intermediate lifters, but eventually its more about not being able to hold the pressure inside your diaphram and abdominal cavity. Think of an empty water bottle. Take the top off and squeeze the bottle...it crushes with ease. Now take the same bottle, blow it back up with air and put the cap on tightly. Squeeze the bottle again. The only thing that changed was the bottles ability to hold internal pressure which made it more rigid and able to sustain the outside force. A belt isn't meant to hold backs flat like some tend to think, its a tool used to press internal air against which in turn creates and maintains a stable trunk under a heavy load.

yes, while you are partly correct about the load being 'relative' that only works to a point. Once you can deadlift over 3x-3.5x your body weight the load is far from relative to your size/strength numbers.

Without reading all of this post...seems that everyone is giving information without really knowing what this op's goals are. I'll assume by his first post that he is not an advanced lifter. The frequency of a big complex lift like this would depend on how much volume is hit throughout the week. If someone wanted to deadlift 2x a week they would have to adjust the volume and the loads to meet the needs for the overall week. Is he deadlifting to gain mass? increase his deadlift numbers? increase over all strength? to help as an assistance lift for his posterior chain? Too many variables to give just one answer.
__________________

| VF Supercharged Stage 1.5| Southbend Stage 2 Clutch | ZHP Cams | Technik Headers |
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #1219
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bAby norAA View Post
While some choose to go belt less that doesn't make the belt useless. The fact that the lift was harder for you while using a belt shows you don't know how to properly use your intra-abdominal pressure against the belt correctly.

I compete at a national level in powerlifting and strongman competitions and I can tell you from much experience that the "weak core" theory may hold for beginners and even intermediate lifters, but eventually its more about not being able to hold the pressure inside your diaphram and abdominal cavity. Think of an empty water bottle. Take the top off and squeeze the bottle...it crushes with ease. Now take the same bottle, blow it back up with air and put the cap on tightly. Squeeze the bottle again. The only thing that changed was the bottles ability to hold internal pressure which made it more rigid and able to sustain the outside force. A belt isn't meant to hold backs flat like some tend to think, its a tool used to press internal air against which in turn creates and maintains a stable trunk under a heavy load.

yes, while you are partly correct about the load being 'relative' that only works to a point. Once you can deadlift over 3x-3.5x your body weight the load is far from relative to your size/strength numbers.

Without reading all of this post...seems that everyone is giving information without really knowing what this op's goals are. I'll assume by his first post that he is not an advanced lifter. The frequency of a big complex lift like this would depend on how much volume is hit throughout the week. If someone wanted to deadlift 2x a week they would have to adjust the volume and the loads to meet the needs for the overall week. Is he deadlifting to gain mass? increase his deadlift numbers? increase over all strength? to help as an assistance lift for his posterior chain? Too many variables to give just one answer.
Is is safe to say the belt is not meant to keep the back safer but having the pressure held by the belt increases safety?
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #1220
bAby norAA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 513
My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Is is safe to say the belt is not meant to keep the back safer but having the pressure held by the belt increases safety?
Yes. The belt is meant to help create rigidity in the trunk of the body. If using a belt correctly you will be protecting your back from the intra abdominal pressure created against the interior of the spine, which in turn helps your erectors hold your lower lumbar in a neutral or flat position. The belt helps hold the pressure in, giving your body something to press out against that is immovable and rigid.
__________________

| VF Supercharged Stage 1.5| Southbend Stage 2 Clutch | ZHP Cams | Technik Headers |
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use