E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #321
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
Can't wait for the 5, anyone that says the differences are minimal is not fully watching the video on apple homepage. Apple haters will always have something to b*tch about.
What exactly are the non-minimal differences that set this phone apart from other phones currently in the market?
Old 09-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #322
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Micron tolerances, duh

Edit: and marketing, lots of marketing

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 09-13-2012 at 08:41 AM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #323
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
CNN says "Apple unveils smaller and faster Iphone 5." Smaller? Thinner and lighter doesn't mean "smaller" you moron lol! They should stop hiring fresh graduates from the journalism school

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #324
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Micron tolerances, duh
Bullsh*t.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #325
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
What exactly are the non-minimal differences that set this phone apart from other phones currently in the market?
...I thought the arguement was how it improved from the previous iPhone. I don't think the iPhone can be compared to other phones just because they come out with a new phone every other week.

The time and precision put into the iPhone should make you respect it no matter what. There is a process that actually takes a photo of the iphone 5 phone chassis and based on that analysis, chooses from 250+ different parts that will perfectly fit the respective phone chassis-That's perfection, and for $200 for a phone that will no doubt last at least 2 years, how can it even be compared to other phones?

As for the exact non-minimal differences, how about the sRGB screen and wide band audio?
How about a mapping system that specificly for the iphone, and has mind blowing 3d views?
What about the A6 processor that is twice as fast as the iphone 4s processor?
The fact that it is ~20% lighter and thinner with a larger 4" screen?
The SEAMLESS design of the chassis so no dust or lint gets trapped in cracks?

I can seriously go on.... Tell me how this iphone is NOT different?

oh, and this IS minimal, but I love it: The downward facing phone jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
CNN says "Apple unveils smaller and faster Iphone 5." Smaller? Thinner and lighter doesn't mean "smaller" you moron lol! They should stop hiring fresh graduates from the journalism school
Went and checked out the specs, and you sir are completely wrong. Do you understand VOLUME? As in LxWxH?

Because if you did you would see that the overall VOLUME of the iphone5 is actally, yes, SMALLER than the iPhone 4s. Maybe you should use your brain before calling people morons...

iphone5: 4.87"x2.31"x.30"= 3.375 in^3

iphone4s: 4.5"x2.31"x.37"= 3.846in^3

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 09-13-2012 at 09:16 AM.
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #326
'busa

Quote:
...I thought the arguement was how it improved from the previous iPhone. I don't think the iPhone can be compared to other phones just because they come out with a new phone every other week.
It's been a year. Were they not supposed to improve the phone? Of course it's better. Although not in any way that should make a 4S user want to upgrade.

Quote:
The time and precision put into the iPhone should make you respect it no matter what. There is a process that actually takes a photo of the iphone 5 phone chassis and based on that analysis, chooses from 250+ different parts that will perfectly fit the respective phone chassis-That's perfection, and for $200 for a phone that will no doubt last at least 2 years, how can it even be compared to other phones?
Oh, please. Have you worked in manufacturing? Electronics manufacturing to be more specific. There is nothing to be gained from such a process. I can make super precise components all day, but it's going to cost me labor, machine time and raise my scrap rate. Why would I want to do that? I think they're either lying or embellishing at best.

Quote:
As for the exact non-minimal differences, how about the sRGB screen and wide band audio?
Marketing. What the fvck is wide band audio. Does it work when the other phone is not an iPhone? Does it work even when it is? How does it work with landlines. How will it be reflected through my car bluetooth system? The voice sound on my phone is just fine. It has been for a long time. They apply marketing terms to things that are simply a progression of technology. Who cares?

Quote:
How about a mapping system that specificly for the iphone, and has mind blowing 3d views?
Mindblowing? It's a gimmick. The maps are incomplete and not as user friend as Google Maps ones. Apple bit off more than they could chew with the maps.

Quote:
What about the A6 processor that is twice as fast as the iphone 4s processor?
Oh, wow. In only a year they came up with a processor that's twice as fast. And all that RAM? Wait...?!

Quote:
The fact that it is ~20% lighter and thinner with a larger 4" screen?
Was the old phone too heavy for you?

Quote:
The SEAMLESS design of the chassis so no dust or lint gets trapped in cracks?
Now you're reaching.

Quote:
I can seriously go on.... Tell me how this iphone is NOT different?
It's different, but hardly the amazing, mind-blowing piece of technology that Apple would have you believe. I might still get one, but I won't deceive myself to think I have something special. Compared to other phones, it's hardly catching up.

I guess you could go on, the Apple site is full of meaningless marketing terms.

Quote:
oh, and this IS minimal, but I love it: The downward facing phone jack!
Oh, WOW!

Quote:
Went and checked out the specs, and you sir are completely wrong. Do you understand AREA? As in LxWxH?

Because if you did you would see that the overall area of the iphone5 is actally, yes, SMALLER than the iPhone 4s. Maybe you should use your brain before calling people morons...

Before you call people morons...

Last edited by 'busa; 09-13-2012 at 09:00 AM.
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #327
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Apple haters will always have something to b*tch about.
I spent around $800~ on an imported HTC TyTN II that had GPS and a keyboard back when the iPhone 3G came out.

I thought it was better but over time realized the iPhone is a much more polished piece of equipment both hardware and software wise.

Can't wait to get a 5

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #328
cowmoo32
drunken science

@ volume vs area

flickher

Old 09-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #329
boostedisbetter

Quote:
Before you call people morons...
dammit... I meant volume...

I still find all those differences worth it. I have a 4 now so the processor is much faster. What do you want from apple? I mean really what else is there you can do with a mobile device? Aren't all cell phones coming down to minimal differences? You have to look into these "minimal" differences though because a cell phone is something you ALWAYS have with you and something you use more than anything on a daily basis- The minimal things will make a huge difference when you use it that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
I spent around $800~ on an imported HTC TyTN II that had GPS and a keyboard back when the iPhone 3G came out.

I thought it was better but over time realized the iPhone is a much more polished piece of equipment both hardware and software wise.

Can't wait to get a 5
Agree... I've used other Mobile OS and they just don't compare, once you have used an iPhone and know all the tricks, it's much easier than anything else.

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 09-13-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #330
'busa

Quote:
dammit... I meant volume...
If you want to talk area, the new phone is bigger.

26.8074 vs 25.8294 sq. in.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #331
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Bunch of stuff, too much to quote
This is the case for every phone being released now. It's all small steps towards better things, there hasn't been anything revolutionary in a long time.

Tell me the difference between the SGS2 and the SGS3, I bet they are similar marginal improvements.

Same sh!t, different manufacturer. People are going to hate only because it's Apple.

We should also all (or mostly) be educated enough and not stupid enough to buy the marketing hype. Also, I also couldn't give a fvck less about wideband audio. It's a phone, not a blu ray player. The rest of it is bringing the iPhone to the leading edge of the smartphone market. Is it better from a hardware standpoint than other devices? Probably not, but it's certainly not worse than other devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
I spent around $800~ on an imported HTC TyTN II
That phone was awesome. It was a brick and you could probably use it to hammer a nail into a wall. I still have mine and it still works quite well for what it is. Too bad it had resistive touch and WinMo 6. Also, why did you pay $800 for it when you could have had a AT&T Tilt, which was the same thing, for ~$200.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 09-13-2012 at 09:17 AM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #332
CJPatel

My Ride: E92 335, F430 Spider
Looks like I'm going to have to pay $649 for the 64GB. I am not eligible for an upgrade until May 13, 2013, 18 months after I bought my 4s.

DD -
2011 550i X - MSport
Weekend -
Ferrari F430 Spider - F1

Gone:
2008 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Stratus White/Bitter Chocolate, coupe w/ Aston Martin Powerpack and Quicksilver exhaust
2003.5 Mystic Blue M3 6spd :(
2009 E92 335i, MSport, 6spd
CJPatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #333
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Went and checked out the specs, and you sir are completely wrong. Do you understand AREA? As in LxWxH?

Because if you did you would see that the overall area of the iphone5 is actally, yes, SMALLER than the iPhone 4s. Maybe you should use your brain before calling people morons...

"Smaller" is not necessarily associated with volume. Do you need any examples?

edit: 'busa already gave the example of "area".

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT

Last edited by SeanC; 09-13-2012 at 09:20 AM.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #334
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
This is the case for every phone being released now. It's all small steps towards better things, there hasn't been anything revolutionary in a long time.
Of course, but it's annoying to hear Apple boast about an extra row of icons or being able to see a full week's calendar. Come on. It's especially annoying considering they used to tell us we don't need MMS. Then they introduced MMS and said it's the awesomest thing ever!

Quote:
Tell me the difference between the SGS2 and the SGS3, I bet they are similar marginal improvements.

Same sh!t, different manufacturer. People are going to hate only because it's Apple.
Absolutely. Except when the SGS3 came out, people were aware that it's the next iteration of the SGS2. They didn't pretend like it revolutionary. Personally, I find the One X better than the SGS3.

Quote:
We should also all (or mostly) be educated enough and not stupid enough to buy the marketing hype.
See the guy above talking about sRGB?

Quote:
Also, I also couldn't give a fvck less about wideband audio. It's a phone, not a blu ray player. The rest of it is bringing the iPhone to the leading edge of the smartphone market. Is it better from a hardware standpoint than other devices? Probably not, but it's certainly not worse than other devices.
I agree. Which makes upgrading from my iPhone 4 that much more of a challenge. The choice is not clear anymore.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #335
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
when i call *639# and get a text from at&t, it says upgrade with 2 year renewal and $36 upgrade fee. can i tell them to go to hell and avoid paying this fee?
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #336
cowmoo32
drunken science

You can, but you won't get a new phone.

flickher

Old 09-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #337
boostedisbetter

Quote:
If you want to talk area, the new phone is bigger.

26.8074 vs 25.8294 sq. in.
Yea I get it, i ****ed that up lol.

Quote:
Agree.

Quote:
Absolutely. Except when the SGS3 came out, people were aware that it's the next iteration of the SGS2. They didn't pretend like it revolutionary.

I'd rather own a iPhone 3 with iOS3 than the newest android OS phone...That's really what it comes down to for me-The software.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #338
CJPatel

Are you guys preordering this then going to the store? Pre Ordering then waiting, or just waiting in line at midnight?

DD -
2011 550i X - MSport
Weekend -
Ferrari F430 Spider - F1

Gone:
2008 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Stratus White/Bitter Chocolate, coupe w/ Aston Martin Powerpack and Quicksilver exhaust
Old 09-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #339
boostedisbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
when i call *639# and get a text from at&t, it says upgrade with 2 year renewal and $36 upgrade fee. can i tell them to go to hell and avoid paying this fee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
You can, but you won't get a new phone.
True story... I thought it was $20 though... Still a stupid Effing fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJPatel View Post
Are you guys preordering this then going to the store? Pre Ordering then waiting, or just waiting in line at midnight?
I'm on the east coast, so 3am is my pre-order time. Might just pop in some black ops and stay up lol

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 09-13-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #340
CJPatel

Quote:
True story... I thought it was $20 though... Still a stupid Effing fee.

I'm on the east coast, so 3am is my pre-order time. Might just pop in some black ops and stay up lol
Me too so I'll prob pop up at 3 am and order it (3 am Friday the 14th morning right?). But are you going to go and wait into the store? Or have it shipped?

And are you ordering it on Apple.com or ATTwireless?

Thanks.

DD -
2011 550i X - MSport
Weekend -
Ferrari F430 Spider - F1

Gone: