E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #3461
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
The new maps program, from what I've read, is equally as detailed as the old one and will provide even better navigation capabilities... the difference is that the main screen doesn't provide you with smaller street names as to give a less cluttered interface. I prefer it.
Oh, you mean like how Apple set up their own maps GUI?
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #3462
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Yes. When it first launched, I really liked the style and layout of apple's mapping program. The only issue I had was it not taking me to my destination via reasonable routes... it would loop me all over the place and wasn't efficient. If google maps app is as accurate with routing as their old setup and visually sexy as apple's, it's a winner.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #3463
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Bang your phone against a wall repeatedly and eventually the 3D Google map will fall out.

Persistence is key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
The new maps program, from what I've read, is equally as detailed as the old one and will provide even better navigation capabilities... the difference is that the main screen doesn't provide you with smaller street names as to give a less cluttered interface. I prefer it.
I do like how google maps is much more detailed.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #3464
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
I figured it out lol , you just Zoom in all the way and it switches to 3D automatically
Old 12-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #3465
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
I still don't understand this 3D maps craze. How does it help me navigate again? By blocking my view of streets? If I want to see 3D buildings, I'll step outside.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #3466
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Edit - I just checked that same San Francisco area on my phone. You just need to zoom in more to see more detail. I think it's the same app.
Same as Apple's map, you need to zoom in a lot to see details. I find this very annoying though because what shows up is completely random. It's probably the result of using vector based mapping.

They should at least give a level of detail knob if we want to see more details.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #3467
alphawhiskey

My Ride: Foxtrot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
I figured it out lol , you just Zoom in all the way and it switches to 3D automatically
If you are looking for a way to switch to 3D, it is two finger swipe down.
alphawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #3468
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
I am not impressed by Googles 3D mapping capabilities. As you can see demonstrated by the photos below, Apple maps is much better in this regard than Google earth. I also downloaded Google maps last night and I'm not that impressed. I will not be keeping it on my iPhone as Apple maps has worked flawless for me so far. I feel the same way about the YouTube app. I'll keep that one on my iPad but not on my iPhone.

Stanford University in Apple maps Vs Google Earth:

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #3469
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
Good move for apple to get google maps back on the app market!

There are alot of people out there who do not care about vector based or how many pixels per square inch these phones are getting to.

They just want to get from a to b as easily as before.
I can now push out io6 for the people that have not upgraded their phones(yes old people) due to the lack of googlemaps.

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to praise you like I should.."
MachRc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #3470
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
I can now push out io6 for the people that have not upgraded their phones(yes old people) due to the lack of googlemaps.
It was never a reason to not upgrade in the past. I've been using Apple maps since I upgraded to the iPhone 5 and it's been a seamless transition. I don't understand why people think it's so flawed, it's not. Not to mention the 3D capability is pretty damn good, better than what Google is offering.

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 12-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #3471
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
I still don't understand this 3D maps craze. How does it help me navigate again? By blocking my view of streets? If I want to see 3D buildings, I'll step outside.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
It doesn't

Only idiots find it more useful than street view and they're just apple apologists.

Btw a bit off topic but do u guys say "Siri" before asking it something?

You know how silly and unnecessary that is?

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #3472
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
It was never a reason to not upgrade in the past. I've been using Apple maps since I upgraded to the iPhone 5 and it's been a seamless transition. I don't understand why people think it's so flawed, it's not. Not to mention the 3D capability is pretty damn good, better than what Google is offering.
Data - apple is missing so much data and integration of bus and subway services.

Maybe in your town apple maps can find Target but it sure doesn't know a lot of other restaurants and businesses not listed on yelp hence why apple maps SUCK

Quote:
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Old 12-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #3473
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
It doesn't

Only idiots find it more useful than street view and they're just apple apologists.

Btw a bit off topic but do u guys say "Siri" before asking it something?

I always say "Hello Siri", so that I can hear Siri say "Hello Big Papa"

Old 12-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #3474
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Data - apple is missing so much data and integration of bus and subway services.

Maybe in your town apple maps can find Target but it sure doesn't know a lot of other restaurants and businesses not listed on yelp hence why apple maps SUCK
When Google maps was the standard in iOS, I had the problem all the time where I found a place on Yelp, but maps simply would not find it, or it would take 10 minutes to search for something. I could not wait for Apple to get rid of that outdated App and replace it with something better.

By the way, I recently took a trip up to Silicon Valley and I used my iPhone numerous times to navigate. It worked just as well as it did in San Diego when I was in Palo Alto.

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Last edited by tock172; 12-13-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #3475
Grande D

Quote:
It doesn't

I have found Apple Maps directs me to wherever I need to be perfectly fine. I think I'd be much more frustrated if I lived outside of the US, but here, Apple Maps is darn good.

Quote:

Yelp lists everything. For some reason searching Apple Maps doesn't always pull up results that are right there on Yelp, which is confusing.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #3476
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
Quote:

Its because theyre old and believe in the news before trying it out first-hand. If its in WSJ its gold.

personally the only thing that bothered me(since were on the iphone thread) at first with the iphone5 is unless people are mistakenly switching the server settings "off" on the pop3 addresses, It was inconsistant and needed alot of power and home til apple sign reboots or setting new alternate addresses.

like a bad router thats needs rebooting sometimes, am I alone?

is the restore not perfect and need calibration with new settings?

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to praise you like I should.."
MachRc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #3477
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
Its because theyre old and believe in the news before trying it out first-hand. If its in WSJ its gold.

personally the only thing that bothered me(since were on the iphone thread) at first with the iphone5 is unless people are mistakenly switching the server settings "off" on the pop3 addresses, It was inconsistant and needed alot of power and home til apple sign reboots or setting new alternate addresses.

like a bad router thats needs rebooting sometimes, am I alone?

is the restore not perfect and need calibration with new settings?
Couldn't agree, but I do like the WSJ

You are not alone! I have been having router troubles with for months and when I upgraded to the iPhone 5, everything got worse. I was using the Cisco E4200 router and I found numerous times with the E4200 that I would have to kill all my apps, turn Wi-Fi off, restart the phone and then I would finally start getting a good condition that was more than just the lowest signal available. Once I would do that, everything would start loading faster again. That only lasted so long, 3 days ago I was trying to stream music to one of my Apple TVs and whenever I would hit play, my connection to the router would die and I would be on cell coverage. I broke down and bought this:

http://www.apple.com/timecapsule/

It's a combination time capsule and router and it's awesome. Took 15 minutes to set up and my wi-fi connection is strong!

For the first month I had my iPhone 5, it wouldn't connect to my Cisco E4200 so many times that I actually almost had an overage on my data. Unbelievable.

I've also noticed that the old WRT-54G that I use at another location is on it's way out. After a few days of use or only an hour of downloading torrents it becomes unresponsive and I need to restart it before I can browse the internet again. Very annoying. Cisco's products are going downhill.

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Last edited by tock172; 12-13-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #3478
Grande D

Quote:
I broke down and bought this:

http://www.apple.com/timecapsule/

It's a combination time capsule and router and it's awesome. Took 15 minutes to set up and my wi-fi connection is strong!

For the first month I had my iPhone 5, it wouldn't connect to my Cisco E4200 so many times that I actually almost had an overage on my data. Unbelievable.

I've also noticed that the old WRT-54G that I use at another location is on it's way out. After a few days of use or only an hour of downloading torrents it becomes unresponsive and I need to restart it before I can browse the internet again. Very annoying. Cisco's products are going downhill.
Born Again would like me to inform you that:

Quote:
u r an apple apologist.

keep drinking that koooool aid bro.

u must soon walk with me to the promised land. c the glory of the SG3.

u r close minded my good friend.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #3479
Born Again

Quote:
When Google maps was the standard in iOS, I had the problem all the time where I found a place on Yelp, but maps simply would not find it, or it would take 10 minutes to search for something. I could not wait for Apple to get rid of that outdated App and replace it with something better.

By the way, I recently took a trip up to Silicon Valley and I used my iPhone numerous times to navigate. It worked just as well as it did in San Diego when I was in Palo Alto.
I don't have an issue with apple navigation for the most part

Quote:
Old 12-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #3480
Born Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Born Again would like me to inform you that:
I believe you misquoted me brah

Quote: