E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:55 AM   #3821
RidinBimmerz

My Ride: Porsche 997 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawhiskey View Post
The refurb replacements are labeled as "remanufactured" by Apple's own terms.

Yes, they are SUPPOSED to have a new screen, case, and battery. Some components like the CPU are supposed to be recycled.

However, I have gone through 6 genius-bar replacements and they have all had problems in one way or another, from nicks/scratches to a camera that wouldn't focus, to a loose battery, to a phone that couldn't make/place calls, etc.

I am pretty sure the quality is lower than a brand-new phone. Why else would they bother with the refurbs unless they were cheaper to produce.

997S X-51 Pack, PCCB, Full Cocoa leather and MUCH more
RidinBimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:24 AM   #3822
alberkhav
Banned User

Send a message via ICQ to alberkhav
What crappy phone company charges $600 for a phone upgrade that came out way past the 3G release date.
alberkhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:06 AM   #3823
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
The Official iPhone 5 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberkhav View Post
What crappy phone company charges $600 for a phone upgrade that came out way past the 3G release date.
What are you talking about
Old 05-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #3824
boatshoe

My Ride: '03 330xi
Have you guys seen this? Case Machine has an ///M inspired case as well as a Stingray one and a few others...inspired by the car design. Expensive and impractical but sort of cool.

http://casemachine.com/wp-content/pl...ategory_id=272

Old 05-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #3825
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Not a big fan. Probably not good for reception either.
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #3826
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtortolanniTFS View Post
Have you guys seen this? Case Machine has an ///M inspired case as well as a Stingray one and a few others...inspired by the car design. Expensive and impractical but sort of cool.

http://casemachine.com/wp-content/pl...ategory_id=272

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #3827
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
Not a big fan. Probably not good for reception either.
my home button is a little crooked now.

time for a phone swap?

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #3828
KwhyLE

My Ride: 2.5
they might not accept it as a manufacture's malfunction. If the home button is still functional and the only problem is aesthetics, they might not take it.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #3829
RidinBimmerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post

time for a phone swap?
if you are serious and want a replacement, look up the "home button" trick....thank me later

Old 05-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #3830
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwhyLE View Post
they might not accept it as a manufacture's malfunction. If the home button is still functional and the only problem is aesthetics, they might not take it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidinBimmerz View Post
if you are serious and want a replacement, look up the "home button" trick....thank me later
usually right before the 1 year runs out i take it in to get it replaced for a nice 'new' phone.

it's nearing that point.

so i have paint chips, crooked home button, shaky vibrating motor, and a small crack at the back glass (my doing).

unfortunately i will lose my jail break

i googled it - i dont see what you are talking about - thx

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:

Last edited by Born Again; 05-08-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #3831
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
The Official iPhone 5 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_seveN View Post
Word. Only person that would buy that case is the guy who wears BMW apparel all the time.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #3832
Grande D

Quote:

time for a phone swap?
Could be. You are going to have trouble with the cracked back glass. Be super duper nice to them, and if you have a cute girlfriend have her come with and bat her eyelids twice.
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #3833
RidinBimmerz

Quote:
usually right before the 1 year runs out i take it in to get it replaced for a nice 'new' phone.

it's nearing that point.

so i have paint chips, crooked home button, shaky vibrating motor, and a small crack at the back glass (my doing).

unfortunately i will lose my jail break

i googled it - i dont see what you are talking about - thx
i'm confused, you have apple care, or no?

Old 05-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #3834
Five_seveN

posting an aside in this thread because i dont want to start a new one for these questions:

1) is there some kind of swype variant available for ios?
2) are there any substantial changes coming to the ios gui update that are published from credible sources?

Old 05-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #3835
Grande D

Quote:
posting an aside in this thread because i dont want to start a new one for these questions:

1) is there some kind of swype variant available for ios?
2) are there any substantial changes coming to the ios gui update that are published from credible sources?
1) I'd imagine there is for jailbroken phones, but no keyboard witching without it and I don't jailbreak, so I don't know for sure. I'd like to see Swype on iOS.

2) Very flat redesign with a substantial overhaul but no new learning curve. Coming from someone who has seen iOS7 testing. It's substantial enough that OSXengineers have been pulled to work on iOS, which only happened once before- before the first iPhone was released.

It will be much more greyscale, much flatter and much simpler. Think Ive design on software. However, you really have to imagine as it could go many ways. They are also trying to incorporate more on demand information into the lock screen, etc. apparently- though I think that aspect holds less water from a source standpoint.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #3836
Five_seveN

Quote:
1) I'd imagine there is for jailbroken phones, but no keyboard witching without it and I don't jailbreak, so I don't know for sure. I'd like to see Swype on iOS.

2) Very flat redesign with a substantial overhaul but no new learning curve. Coming from someone who has seen iOS7 testing. It's substantial enough that OSXengineers have been pulled to work on iOS, which only happened once before- before the first iPhone was released.

It will be much more greyscale, much flatter and much simpler. Think Ive design on software. However, you really have to imagine as it could go many ways. They are also trying to incorporate more on demand information into the lock screen, etc. apparently- though I think that aspect holds less water from a source standpoint.
1) damn it. dont think i could ever get used to two-handed texting again after using swype so long. wont jailbreak either
2) so are they keeping the same layout still....rows of icons with no app drawer? sounds like they want to incorporate widgets but i dont want to get ahead of whats likely to happen. man, i was hoping for some kind of latest blackberry scale redesign on the gui

Old 05-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #3837
Grande D

Quote:
1) damn it. dont think i could ever get used to two-handed texting again after using swype so long. wont jailbreak either
2) so are they keeping the same layout still....rows of icons with no app drawer? sounds like they want to incorporate widgets but i dont want to get ahead of whats likely to happen. man, i was hoping for some kind of latest blackberry scale redesign on the gui
I don't know exactly man. It's supposed to quite quite a big overhaul. I'd imagine the basic layout will stay the same, but that's just logic speaking and not fact.

Ive is getting rid of stupid skeumorphics and moving the iOS into the "new age." It should be quite the change. I'd be surprised if it isn't at least as good as Blackberry 10.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #3838
Five_seveN

Quote:
I don't know exactly man. It's supposed to quite quite a big overhaul. I'd imagine the basic layout will stay the same, but that's just logic speaking and not fact.

Ive is getting rid of stupid skeumorphics and moving the iOS into the "new age." It should be quite the change. I'd be surprised if it isn't at least as good as Blackberry 10.
where is the best place to get information on ios? i might ditch the wp and bb and switch between ios and android. ios is kicking androids ass on the apps/games i use most and it would be nice to have those on the phone/ipad

Old 05-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #3839
Grande D

Quote:
where is the best place to get information on ios? i might ditch the wp and bb and switch between ios and android. ios is kicking androids ass on the apps/games i use most and it would be nice to have those on the phone/ipad

Wow. I do like my iPhone and after looking at the One I will not switch, but some Android phones are enticing. I think iOS 7 will help me to truly enjoy iOS again.

Macrumors- then look at the sources. They usually assess validity of sources in the last paragraph of their blurbs.

Some stuff is common sense and past knowledge of design preferences (Ive-> flat design) which when compounded by a leak by some Apple employee all but validates the claim/direction.

http://www.macrumors.com

On iOS7:

Very flat design:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/29/...ign-for-ios-7/

Influences:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/06/...han-skin-deep/

How do you like Windows Phone? The 5S is supposed to have fingerprint unlocking- which is a pretty cool feature if you're thinking about buying another iPhone, though gimmicky I know.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #3840
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
App drawer?
Like in the Galaxy S4 where you pull the tab to reveal a menu of more apps?
In iOS just push the home button twice.