E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #121
Wes

lol angry android virgin ITT
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #122
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
lol angry android virgin ITT
who?

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #123
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_seveN View Post
who?
Our buddy from Alabama
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #124
Five_seveN

im looking forward to the actual reviews of this phone when it does come out. all we have seen so far is the phone on paper. gonna be interesting to see how it all fares out

Old 09-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #125
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
It's marketing. Many other phones out there are superbly built. Yes, my iPhone 4 is nice, but at the same time, I've had to resort to workarounds because the home button doesn't work 90% of the time. I don't care about NFC either, but I hate it when someone tells me they've built the best something or other and it has the same features as things that came out 5 months ago. I may just switch out of principle.
There's a tremendous difference between machining and assembly. Since very few other phones are built on an aluminum frame, most don't have to contend with the issues surrounding mass production of precision metal components. Plastics are much easier to create in large quantities.

-Coming from a person with a 5-axis cnc mill and Kuka assembly robots.

I've had my same iPhone 4 since launch day, caseless, it's still solid as a rock with negligible scratches. The home button issue being one that is easily fixed (lots of info in this thread on that matter).

Like others have said, phones have reached a plateau in revolutionary technologies, we're at a point of continued refinement until the next big breakthrough comes about, and this phone is the pinnacle of that refinement.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #126
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
iPhone 5 looks awesome, and I will be pre-ordering. Time to upgrade the 4.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #127
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
If I can manage through the online madness and preorder it on Friday, this will be my celebration

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #128
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
There's a tremendous difference between machining and assembly. Since very few other phones are built on an aluminum frame, most don't have to contend with the issues surrounding mass production of precision metal components. Plastics are much easier to create in large quantities.

I've had my same iPhone 4 since launch day, caseless, it's still solid as a rock with negligible scratches. The home button issue being one that is easily fixed (lots of info in this thread on that matter).

Like others have said, phones have reached a plateau in revolutionary technologies, we're at a point of continued refinement until the next big breakthrough comes about, and this phone is the pinnacle of that refinement.
+1 exactly, which is why i've had my 3gs for almost 3 years now. the 4 and 4s were not worth the price to upgrade.

i expect the 5 to give me another 2 good years of use. hopefully i am lucky enough to get one as good as my 3gs. no home button or battery problems. the one issue is that the docking station fvcked up my charge connection, so i won't make that mistake again, but this new case is not plastic.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #129
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post

I won't buy a phone because someone decided to use a difficult manufacturing process to make it. Besides, both you and I still need to pick one up and see it and feel it before we can make any judgements.

FWIW, I don't own a CNC machine, but my company has several. I've designed many components to be made on them and I appreciate the process. I just don't think it's a requirement on a phone.

I don't see it as a pinnacle of refinement. I see it as a logical evolutionary step, but one that is quite small, considering the speed at which the rest of the market is evolving.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #130
boostedisbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
+1 exactly, which is why i've had my 3gs for almost 3 years now. the 4 and 4s were not worth the price to upgrade.

i expect the 5 to give me another 2 good years of use. hopefully i am lucky enough to get one as good as my 3gs. no home button or battery problems. the one issue is that the docking station fvcked up my charge connection, so i won't make that mistake again, but this new case is not plastic.
REALLY? I could NOT stand my iphone 3 anymore, that thing was INSANELY slow, upgrading to the 4 was a HUUUUGGGGE upgrade for me.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #131
alphawhiskey

My Ride: Foxtrot
Completely underwhelming. Apple is essentially just catching up to Android now: LTE, larger screen, notification bar, etc. Android had all of this for at least a year now.

Yet, this phone will still sell like crazy. I heard it is predicted to boost the GDP by a small percentage--which is absolutely crazy.

And, despite my disappointment, I will probably still get one as my sister's phone just took a crap and we need a new phone in the family. Hopefully it has tethering.

I switched to android for the ability to tether, LTE, large screen, and navigation. With the iphone catching up with all of this, maybe it's time to switch back.
alphawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #132
boostedisbetter

it's just now getting a larger screen yes, but their phones only come out once a year! If android didn't come out with a new phone every month, they probly would just now be getting into the screen size too.

I can't stand iPhone haters... Use the damn phone before you bash it.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #133
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
"Like others have said, phones have reached a plateau in revolutionary technologies, we're at a point of continued refinement until the next big breakthrough comes about, and this phone is the pinnacle of that refinement."

Completely agree.

The same can be found happening in the dildo industry.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #134
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
it's just now getting a larger screen yes, but their phones only come out once a year! If android didn't come out with a new phone every month, they probly would just now be getting into the screen size too.

I can't stand iPhone haters... Use the damn phone before you bash it.
I own one.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #135
HyeWarrior

iPhone users = hipsters
Android users = virgins
Blackberry users = dinosaurs
Windows users = geeks

THERE IS NO WINNING, its just a phone. So glad I never became a hater for anything.... Except for people who listen to shitty music. Oh and plasti dipped wheels/cars

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
Old 09-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #136
KaliVertBoy

My Ride: M3 Vert 6MT
Oh crap! How am I supposed to plug this phone in to my car with the new connector? Are they going to have an adapter?
KaliVertBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #137
Five_seveN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliVertBoy View Post
Oh crap! How am I supposed to plug this phone in to my car with the new connector? Are they going to have an adapter?
yes, it costs $29

Old 09-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #138
HyeWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliVertBoy View Post
Just buy one of those car chargers that just have a female USB input.

I bought one on my school campus that doubles as a wall charger, and came with a iPhone USB cable. Best $25 I've spent for my phone

EDIT: Derp, didn't realize you might be referring to plug in for music

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
Old 09-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #139
Tutankhamon

My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
My damn specdoc!!
I hate you apple
Old 09-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #140
scott0482

My Ride: 2001 530i
Send a message via AIM to scott0482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
REALLY? I could NOT stand my iphone 3 anymore, that thing was INSANELY slow, upgrading to the 4 was a HUUUUGGGGE upgrade for me.
There is a big difference between 3 and 3gs in speed.
I still have a 3gs, but it is on iOS 4.2.1. I never went to 5, my friend had one running 5, and I wanted to throw it any time I used it.