E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #1541
delta

My Ride: A4 2.0TQ 6MT
Is it better to set up as a new phone or restore from a backup?
Old 09-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #1542
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
For my last several iPhones, I have restored it from a backup. When my iPhone 5 arrives, I will likely be starting completely fresh.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #1543
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3

My Ride: AC Schnitzer E46
Quote:

If you don't need your SMS history, contacts, settings, preferences, call history, and pictures, then no.

I've never seen a performance decrease because I restored from a previous backup.

Oregon, USA

2000 323i | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint

_.dstrukt.n1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #1544
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawhiskey View Post
I agree that the larger screen is a step in the right direction, but they should have just gone wider and larger while they were at it (4.5'' imo). That is just my personal opinion. Not looking for any fanboy arguments about how your thumb is too short to reach over 1/4'' more.

Anyways, forget the size, the screen itself is GORGEOUS. It is THE best phone screen I have ever used, and I have owned all the Super AMOLED Plus's and the previous retina displays.

The only complaint I have is that because it is still narrow, and the browsers don't do text wrapping, text looks ridiculously small while browsing and I have to constantly resize/scroll to read anything.

Also, at the moment, a lot of apps don't take advantage of the new screen size so you get black bars. But this should be fixed as the apps are updated. Chrome and netflix for example still have bars.
exactly. i understand that the longer screen isnt just for an extra row of icons, but the phone just looks awkward and long now, not to mention the fact that the size of what's supposed to be a portable phone has now increased. watching videos on your phone isnt the only thing people do.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #1545
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3

iPhone 5 is the fastest smartphone available on the market today.

http://www.redmondpie.com/speed-test...laxy-s3-video/

Quote:
Performance over LTE under SpeedTest.net, under SunSpider Javascript 0.9.1, GLBenchmark 2.5, all are compared and shown the video. The results are still the same, of course: the iPhone 5 smokes the Galaxy S III.
The most significant performance differences can be appreciated under GLBenchmark Egypt HD test in which iPhone 5 renders on-screen and off-screen graphics nearly twice as fast as the Galaxy S III. Browser performance also sees similar results, with the iPhone 5 scoring half as low as the Galaxy S III (lower is better in SunSpider).
All of this comes as a result of the tight integration between hardware and software; Apple develops iOS and designs the iPhone around it (and vice versa). Both are, quite literally, made for each other. Android phones, on the other hand, have their hardware and software created by different companies so they compensate for the lack of optimization by throwing in more cores and higher clock speeds.
This tight integration also has other benefits as well such as significantly improved power management. The iPhone 5 - despite having a 1440mAh battery - can last on 4G LTE for almost as long as a DROID RAZR MAXX with its 3300mAh battery.

Oregon, USA

2000 323i | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint

Old 09-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #1546
delta

My Ride: A4 2.0TQ 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by _.dstrukt.n1ne View Post
If you don't need your SMS history, contacts, settings, preferences, call history, and pictures, then no.

I've never seen a performance decrease because I restored from a previous backup.
Cool. Ive always restored from backups but I hear people saying they got better battery life after they set up as new.

What kind of battery life are you guys getting on LTE? I've been on LTE/Wifi so I haven't fully tested the supposed 8 hours on LTE.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #1547
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
Looks like Apple invented the thumb

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #1548
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quick question guys, somehow all my fb contacts are in my phone contacts. How do I get them out?
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #1549
mkodama

My iPhone 5 is much too tall at 123.8mm. I think because of this I'm going to switch to the much shorter 136.6mm Galaxy S3 or the 130.7mm Droid RAZR MAXX.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #1550
alphawhiskey

My Ride: Foxtrot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
My iPhone 5 is much too tall at 123.8mm. I think because of this I'm going to switch to the much shorter 136.6mm Galaxy S3 or the 130.7mm Droid RAZR MAXX.

It is too "tall" in the sense that they didn't increase the width, so it looks awkward and taller than the android phones.
alphawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #1551
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Quick question guys, somehow all my fb contacts are in my phone contacts. How do I get them out?
i think on the iphone it's as simple as thinking about it and it was actually happen. on my complicated droid i had to remove my fb in the synced accounts.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #1552
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3

Quote:
Cool. Ive always restored from backups but I hear people saying they got better battery life after they set up as new.

What kind of battery life are you guys getting on LTE? I've been on LTE/Wifi so I haven't fully tested the supposed 8 hours on LTE.
I use it pretty regularly throughout the day. At the end of the night, I'll have like 20-30% left.

Oregon, USA

Old 09-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #1553
alphawhiskey

My Ride: Foxtrot
I'm getting much beter battery life today, on Day 3. It could have been due to the fact that on Days 1 and 2, I was setting up/the phone was syncing to itunes via wifi.

I also turned off traffic and govt/amber alerts in settings. I had no idea they had these alerts set on by default. wtf.
alphawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #1554
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3

Quote:
Go to Contacts and then click Groups. Deselect Facebook.

Oregon, USA

Old 09-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #1555
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawhiskey View Post
It is too "tall" in the sense that they didn't increase the width, so it looks awkward and taller than the android phones.
Yeah, I'm pissed off at how narrow the phone is. They totally need to ditch 16:9 screen ratio and go back to 4:3, and make the phone more like a square. Tall narrow phones just makes no sense to me, and that's why I get pissed off at my full sized phone handset at work. Just makes no sense.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #1556
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Yeah, I'm pissed off at how narrow the phone is. They totally need to ditch 16:9 screen ratio and go back to 4:3, and make the phone more like a square. Tall narrow phones just makes no sense to me, and that's why I get pissed off at my full sized phone handset at work. Just makes no sense.

The Weirdest Thing People Hate About the iPhone 5

http://gizmodo.com/5945662/the-weird...ium=socialflow

Oregon, USA

Old 09-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #1557
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by _.dstrukt.n1ne View Post
Go to Contacts and then click Groups. Deselect Facebook.
I love you
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #1558
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3

Quote:
I love you

Oregon, USA

Old 09-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #1559
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
i hate all of you assholes. try having hyour phone on backorder and tell me how many complaints you have -_____-
Old 09-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #1560
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
i hate all of you assholes. try having hyour phone on backorder and tell me how many complaints you have -_____-
Sucks, mine was originally supposed to get here on Oct 5th and then they changed it to Sep 28th on Friday