E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
\\_jippy_//

My Ride: 328I
Ecu tuning

Sorry if the post is not in the right section, i'm from Qc, Canada and I'm not as good as all you guys/girls in english...So Hi I have a 328I 1999 e46 and I already know that their is many many thread about this but i'm don't understand and I don't find what I am searching for(even with two full night of intensive search)
Here's my ''problem'':

I would like to turbo my 2.8, and I know that I need gasket and arp studs, after that I would like to build-up a littile setup(i'm gonna see later what a REALLY want but I have a good idea by-now) by the way I am going to school in mechanic and I already have a good base on it, but when it comes to ECU tuning....i'm lost.... I'm running a obd2 ecu and that's pretty all I know... I found info about kwp 2000plus, MS2, AEM EMS, but I don't know where I need to go with all that...every kind of help would be really appreciated... btw I would like to keep all the luxury/comfort things I have, such as mem leather seats, control on the steering, etc. Thank you
\\_jippy_// is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iCA
Do yourself and your car a favour and let it set up! even with a really good damos file, you won´t be able to set it up properly.
daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
jacobs323i

My Ride: blown 323i
In order to keep all your dash functions and wheel functions you are going to need to use a piggyback, personally a piggyback is a poor solution for a turbo in a BMW application. I have done what you are talking about search my name in the forced induction forum I have an extensive build thread that will give you lots of info. If you have any questions feel free to p.m. Me

Also I have a clutch master clutch stage 3 Kevlar segmented with light weight flywheel all from clutch masters, has less than 6000 miles on it and looks perfect, it would work great for what your doing, I bought t brand new for 1600 I will sell it to u for 500 plus shipping if ya want.
jacobs323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
\\_jippy_//

thank you jacob... i know its a poor solution, but i want to keep everything i have....like cruise control, dsc(even if it's useless) what will be the consequence of using a piggyback? and what would be the other options?....thank you very much
Old 09-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
\\_jippy_//

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
Do yourself and your car a favour and let it set up! even with a really good damos file, you won´t be able to set it up properly.
How can you affirm I won't be able...you don't even know me..?!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
smooth1

My Ride: BMW FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by \\_jippy_// View Post
but when it comes to ECU tuning....i'm lost....
Probably this statement.

It's not difficult, just do the research and get the right tools.
smooth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
bryce-o

My Ride: 330Ci ZHP 3 pedal
i consider myself pretty knowledgable on EFI tuning; i did a lot of street tuning on my previous acura rsx (k-pro FTW). but, when it comes to extracting more power and improving throttle response, ignition set points, etc.......on a bmw, i like to trust the guys that have tons of experience to tune my cars (eurocharged, or others for the e90/e82 cars)
bryce-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
\\_jippy_//

I would like to have some USEFUL help please..... stop trying to convice me....I know i will be able to do it.... i have many friends that can help me if i don't understand something... but for now i'm stuck with..... what can do it?? kwp 2000?
Old 09-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
smooth1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce-o View Post
i consider myself pretty knowledgable on EFI tuning; i did a lot of street tuning on my previous acura rsx (k-pro FTW). but, when it comes to extracting more power and improving throttle response, ignition set points, etc.......on a bmw, i like to trust the guys that have tons of experience to tune my cars (eurocharged, or others for the e90/e82 cars)
That's so funny... small world. I'm actually Hondata's biggest competitor.

Quote:
I would like to have some USEFUL help please..... stop trying to convice me....I know i will be able to do it.... i have many friends that can help me if i don't understand something... but for now i'm stuck with..... what can do it?? kwp 2000?
WinOLS. You'll need to use some other tool to flash, like kwp2000+.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
jacobs323i

Quote:
thank you jacob... i know its a poor solution, but i want to keep everything i have....like cruise control, dsc(even if it's useless) what will be the consequence of using a piggyback? and what would be the other options?....thank you very much
Piggybacks do not work well on BMW e46 platform, I have tried them all either they run but very poor and then the BMW goes into limp mode, or the dme re flashes itself after a day or so back to stock.

Last edited by jacobs323i; 09-13-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
\\_jippy_//

So you telling me their's no left option than re-flashing the ecu?
Old 09-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
\\_jippy_//

I just found out I could use a megasquirt in parallel with me stock ecu...to control only few things I would like to control and keep my feautures..
Old 09-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
smooth1

You can get a piggy back or full standalone, but it's not necessary.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #14
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
I was going to mention Megasquirt.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:46 AM   #15
jacobs323i

Megasquirt is very basic but it will work.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #16
\\_jippy_//

What do you mean by that jacob?
Old 09-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #17
jacobs323i

Quote:
What do you mean by that jacob?
I mean megasquirt is limited in table views when tuning, also it only controls a few basic functions. It is a very basic program, bt as stated it will get your car running, but it won't control vanos which is a big help on our turbo cars.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #18
Iceman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobs323i View Post
I mean megasquirt is limited in table views when tuning, also it only controls a few basic functions. It is a very basic program, bt as stated it will get your car running, but it won't control vanos which is a big help on our turbo cars.
Not true, it does.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #19
jacobs323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Not true, it does.
This is a loaded response by you, okay you are technically right ms can run single vanos in a on off type of setting which anyone that know anything about vanos or variable timing knows in a on off situation it takes ms a second or so to go from on to off or vice versa! so to sum up to properly and beneficially run vanos on a turbo car you need a more advanced stand alone that can process the variable timing or vanos in real time.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:39 AM   #20
Iceman00

Double checked, yes it does.