E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #21
zanga254

My Ride: 2002 325xi ZPP
Send a message via Skype™ to zanga254
+1 for a car that will probably go for another 100k.
zanga254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #22
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
206,000 Miles
Accident
Grey Interior
Extremely worn parts

I'd offer $5,000
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #23
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
For $7000 I get myself a 100k 325i with replaced suspension, cooling system, alternator, fuel pump and good for 2 years. Instead of a beat up 330i that needs $2000 of immediate fixing.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #24
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
For $7000 I get myself a 100k 325i with replaced suspension, cooling system, alternator, fuel pump and good for 2 years. Instead of a beat up 330i that needs $2000 of immediate fixing.
this this this this this this this this this this this tits
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #25
MercForHire

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
this this this this this this this this this this this tits
Thanks we should be friends
Old 09-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #26
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
Great find mango! Good example of a well maintaned high mileage BMW.
Am I missing something? Nothing is said as to how it has been maintained. It looks like a good car for a fair price given the mileage and totally unknown service history.

I'd venture to guess this wasn't an above-and-beyond owner, since the lenses and front grill are bad. Things like that can be symbolic of how much money was spent on a car (maintenance wise).

That said I'd consider the car if I was looking!

Mystic Blue is gorgeous if you know how to maintain paint. That said 99.9% of car owners don't. See sig.

Last edited by Grande D; 09-13-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #27
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Surprised nobody mentioned the dull paint (poor paint repair). I agree that worn headlight lenses say a lot about a car.. but so does a clean interior. shows a careful owner. Its a weird combo of signs, really. On one hand you have the very clean and cared for interior and on the other hand you had an owner who didn't give two shits about the exterior.

And no i'm not looking... though it is tempting to get a second one.. it'd just be stupid. Cheapest ZHP i've ever seen though so thought you guys might find it interesting. A 2004 330i automatic would hardly go for $7000... you're talking a 6-speed ZHP with Nav and clean interior... not bad at all. I'm actually looking for M68 rear wheels.

That 330i with 200,000 miles which is well maintained will run circles around a pathetic 325i. Not sure why the ignorant comments/suggestion... oh wait... its MercForHire and his new best friend.

I have a buddy with an E36 M3 (1995) that has 216,000 miles. You'd never be able to tell. and coming from me, that's saying a lot. And yes i've driven it.

In fact... here's a couple photos of it:

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #28
Grande D

Oh shiiit I didn't even look. That paint is insanely dull! Even the parts that (might) not have been repainted.

And leaving cracked fog lights cracked is not good either.

Leather seats can stay pretty decent when light/narrow framed people are sitting in them all the time. They should at least replace the shift knob.

Last edited by Grande D; 09-13-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #29
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Am I missing something? Nothing is said as to how it has been maintained. It looks like a good car for a fair price given the mileage and totally unknown service history.

I'd venture to guess this wasn't an above-and-beyond owner, since the lenses and front grill are bad. Things like that can be symbolic of how much money was spent on a car (maintenance wise).

That said I'd consider the car if I was looking!

Mystic Blue is gorgeous if you know how to maintain paint. That said 99.9% of car owners don't. See sig.
BTW, yes.. it says in the ad. maintained at dealer and by a bmw indy. haha. yeah no details.. but its better than most ads that say "WELL MAINTAINED CAR WASHED AND OIL CHANGED WITH SYNTHETIC"

These guys would LOVE this car:

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #30
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Oh shiiit I didn't even look. That paint is insanely dull! Even the parts that (might) not have been repainted.

And leaving cracked fog lights cracked is not good either.

Leather seats can stay pretty decent when light/narrow framed people are sitting in them all the time. They should at least replace the shift knob.
yeah. half the car might need to be cleared. A maaco or similar one-day might do it relatively inexpensively (not aiming for absolute perfection on a 200,000 mile car) but if the car was otherwise fine... it's a great car for $7,000, really. 04 also could indicate many highway miles since its somewhat "newer" with that many miles.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #31
MercForHire

Yea and everyone who buys a e46 is a track monkey who Runs circles around weaker cars.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #32
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Yea and everyone who buys a e46 is a track monkey who Runs circles around weaker cars.
said the guy with the 323

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #33
MercForHire

^
Small penis
Old 09-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #34
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
^
Small penis
sorry. were you offended?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #35
Grande D

I'd actually get a compression test on any car at 150k+ if I were in the market again. Reason is this: our cars use oil and the average owner might run it at 1 quart down +/- .5 quarts for 1-2k miles before filling it. I think done frequently that slowly kills a motor.

It looks like extensive paint on the passenger and driver side. It may be decent paint that needs a wetsand, or it may be Crayola level garbage. You'd have to see it in person to know.

I do agree that it could be worthwhile to the right new owner. However at a touch under 10k you can find well maintained zhps with slight (good body work- not this thing's) and extensive service records. I think this car needs at least $2k in work to be nice. In the end cheap cars don't end up being as cheap as they seem. YMMV.

Last edited by Grande D; 09-13-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #36
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Quote:
Buy mine.

Its only 58k
Old 09-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #37
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
I'd actually get a compression test on any car at 150k+ if I were in the market again. Reason is this: our cars use oil and the average owner might run it at 1 quart down +/- .5 quarts for 1-2k miles before filling it. I think done frequently that slowly kills a motor.

It looks like extensive paint on the passenger and driver side. It may be decent paint that needs a wetsand, or it may be Crayola level garbage. You'd have to see it in person to know.

I do agree that it could be worthwhile to the right new owner. However at a touch under 10k you can find well maintained zhps with slight (good body work- not this thing's) and extensive service records. I think this car needs at least $2k in work to be nice. In the end cheap cars don't end up being as cheap as they seem. YMMV.
As long as the red oil light isn't illuminating (adequate oil pressure), I don't see how a lower oil level would cause increased wear. Oil pressure is oil pressure. As long as the car has it, it has the oil it needs. What do you say?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #38
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Surprised nobody mentioned the dull paint (poor paint repair). I agree that worn headlight lenses say a lot about a car.. but so does a clean interior. shows a careful owner. Its a weird combo of signs, really. On one hand you have the very clean and cared for interior and on the other hand you had an owner who didn't give two shits about the exterior.

And no i'm not looking... though it is tempting to get a second one.. it'd just be stupid. Cheapest ZHP i've ever seen though so thought you guys might find it interesting. A 2004 330i automatic would hardly go for $7000... you're talking a 6-speed ZHP with Nav and clean interior... not bad at all. I'm actually looking for M68 rear wheels.
Got curious because this is the second found ZHP thread I have seen you put out... ... had to ask

Quote:
That 330i with 200,000 miles which is well maintained will run circles around a pathetic 325i. Not sure why the ignorant comments/suggestion... oh wait... its MercForHire and his new best friend.
I lol'd when I read this...

Quote:
I have a buddy with an E36 M3 (1995) that has 216,000 miles. You'd never be able to tell. and coming from me, that's saying a lot. And yes i've driven it.

In fact... here's a couple photos of it:

Now that's one well-kept and very clean ///M! Damn! That car looks like it came off the show room floor! Well done!
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l 365AutoSports one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #39
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Quote:
As long as the red oil light isn't illuminating (adequate oil pressure), I don't see how a lower oil level would cause increased wear. Oil pressure is oil pressure. As long as the car has it, it has the oil it needs. What do you say?
Truth.

I ran one of my old Civics on practically no oil. Didn't realize the dipstick was in fact 98% dry, since that car didn't need oil changes, just top offs. A can of Wynns tune-up formula I added into the crankcase at random is probably part of 1qt that kept it alive

After adding some Lucas and upping the viscosity, that car practically never burned oil again until sold.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #40
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
206,000 Miles
Accident
Grey Interior
Extremely worn parts

I'd offer $5,000
You have no idea what you're talking about.

As for the "dull" exterior, to me it just looks like it needs a good detailing...

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App