E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #21
andrey.kvotchenko

My Ride: 2001 m3 e46
Got alignment in rear at a .16 total when got it aligned havent checked it since.. as far as tires i went thru a set of dws and a set of michelin sports as plus... even tho my chamber is over factory specs its not chamber wear since tires wear perfectly even... there is a slight signs of chamber wear but still doesnt explain the rest of the tire wearing sooo fast

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Bimmer App
andrey.kvotchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #22
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey.kvotchenko View Post
So replaced my rtabs got car aligned went thru 2 sets of rear tires since maybe a total of 6k miles??? Any other ideas

Wearing that quickly means something is wrong.

If it was me, I'd return the car to what it should be and go from there.

That is, unless you're drifting, burning out at every light, tracking.

It really does sound like a serious alignment issue, though you didn't say how your tires are wearing. Given that you've reengineered your rear end, it's hard to know what the proper alignment specs would be, but it sounds like something is obviously off. Are you using door jamb tire pressures?

Anyway, photo of tire wear maybe? Maybe photo of all the suspension components back there? Have you had your subframe inspected?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:13 AM   #23
steve bettencourt

My Ride: 2003 m3
great topic I am about to do coil overs and bushing ,hope I don't have to go through tires like you
steve bettencourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #24
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
OP how is your front? reason im asking is you might be creating a drag with the rear if your front is is off and pulling to a side.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #25
andrey.kvotchenko

Tire wear is even all the way across.... like i said earlier a tiny bit off edge wear but not enough to account for the damage.....i do not cross/drag nor burn my tires i do drive aggressive but 90% of my driving is highway!!! Thought bout replacing all the bushings in the rear since the car has 134k on it but suspension is as tight and the car drives just as good as it did when i bought it... bought the car with 60k on it and the first tire replacement i did was at 95k which i think is fair for my driving... after that i lowered it and had problems ever since

Old 02-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #26
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
Your FCAB's and RTAB's are blown out. Your shocks and struts are likely toast as well. All the alignment it the world won't fix that. You need parts. Those are the parts to fix it.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #27
andrey.kvotchenko

New springs new rtabs just replacrd both less than 6months ago havent done shocks

Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #28
dillard

My Ride: 2004 M3 Cabrio
Was tired of buying new tires all the time too. Went with Nexen on the front. Something like 500 tread wear. Still had to put some sticky Pirellis on the back. But fronts are lasting much longer.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #29
andrey.kvotchenko

Fronts not a problem rears are

Old 02-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #30
scca_ziptie

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
RTABs - rear trailing arm bushings. I'd bet money that is the issue. They are a 'comsumable' item on many BMWs, cheap for poly bushings - labor isn't the cheapest and you'll need a new alignment after the installation. My rears wear showing heavy signs of wear at the 5,000 mile mark and led me to start checking into why. RTABs were the culprit.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #31
andrey.kvotchenko

Guys ive replaced the rtabs

Old 02-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #32
scca_ziptie

When you lowered your car did you just purchase springs and leave the factory shocks or did you get a coilover kit?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #33
andrey.kvotchenko

Springs

Old 02-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #34
andrey.kvotchenko

Oe shocks

Old 02-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #35
scca_ziptie

Did you replace the OE shocks when you installed the new springs or are the the ones that were originally on the car?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #36
andrey.kvotchenko

They were supposedly replaced so when i lowered the vehicle they only suppose to have had bout 15k on em but they are oem

Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #37
scca_ziptie

Hmmm. Well I was leaning towards blown rear dampers which would have a hellacious effect on tire wear but hard to tell if they are good or not without having the vehicle. New dampers aren't terribly expensive but I'd hate to see you replace them without verifying the current dampers condition. I'd say work on verifying the existing rear damper condition - there are a handful of race shops around our area that have shock dyno's. I'd imagine being in NASCAR country that there would be some shops in your neck of the woods that would have one..?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #38
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
is there uneven wear? where is the tire wearing out? what are your driving habits, hard accel, hard decel? dragging? wasting gas (burn outs)?

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #39
scca_ziptie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakumaxp View Post
is there uneven wear? where is the tire wearing out? what are your driving habits, hard accel, hard decel? dragging? wasting gas (burn outs)?
He said earlier no burnouts, no drag racing - 90% highway miles. The tire wear from left to right side is a legit question for sure though.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #40
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by scca_ziptie View Post
He said earlier no burnouts, no drag racing - 90% highway miles. The tire wear from left to right side is a legit question for sure though.
ahh sorry, just quickly skimmed through the replies i guess i overlooked the answer to my own question. hmmm and seeing you replaced most of your suspension components, this is weird... i would just save up and do a whole complete overhaul, sell the springs and get a good solid set of coilovers, and get another alignment after install

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote