E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
t-ruckerj

My Ride: mitsubishi evo 8 mr
What does it cost for shipping...?

Hello people what does car cost roughly to ship from las Vegas or USA to the uk roughly ?.

Just an estimated guess if anyo e has done something similar as I'm genuinely interested , would you have to pay taxes ? What else is involved.
Cheers for any help
Old 09-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
There are so many variables in the way to accurately answer this. What does it cost? About as much as a small hatchback, or as little as a large sedan.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
DangerousMind

My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
Don't the Nigerians usually offer to pay for shipping?
Old 09-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
t-ruckerj

Tried emailing a couple shipping company's yesterday haven't heard as yet!. But as there seems to be some very nice looking m3's over in the states I thought some people may have experienced this.

I did import a skyline from Japan to the uk once. And I think it did cost 1500 gbp .

Last edited by t-ruckerj; 09-13-2012 at 05:39 PM.
t-ruckerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
farmdog

My Ride: Acura TL
Bout tree fiddy.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
sabreuk

My Ride: 323ci vert
i used to import parts from the u.s to uk for my astro i had. unless what you want sending is gifted you will pay import tax and insanly high postage costs. for example i bought an iac valve which was around 18 for the part but ended up paying nearly 80 with tax and postage.

it also depends on what it is your trying to import bud. my mrs accidentaly bought a handbag from the states and was told it was nearly 300 import tax due to the make of bag it was so it can vary.

if your importing a car you will get hit with the import tax once it gets offloaded off the ship by customs and excise unless you buy from a company that covers all duty. ill dig out a couple of shipping companys i know import from the states and give ya a pm with there details.

EVERYWHERE

Last edited by sabreuk; 09-13-2012 at 05:53 PM.
sabreuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
ferngreen 325xi

My Ride: 2001 325XI wagon.
BMW 325 wagon from Vermont to San Diego CA, $1,200.
ferngreen 325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
t-ruckerj

Sabreuk thanks for the help. E30 m3's look awesome and the e46 m3's hpf's or tracked cars generally .I'm looking at, I've sold the rs4 and the Evo 8 just seeing if it can be done at a reasonable figure .
If I bought a car for say 25"000 dollars what would it cost to get to the uk.

I'm sure I paid 14000 pound for a skyline gtr33 lemans edition and it cost me 17000 in the end, mot and inspection and rolling road session to map it to uk fuel.

Thanks fern
Old 09-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
Chris3Duke

I paid $800 to ship my E46 from Germany to South Carolina in 2002, then another $1000 or so in import tariffs.
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
sabreuk

ill ask the shipping companys i know tomoz for ya fern and ill let ya know what they quote. you might be chaper though sticking to uk m3s than importing a u.s m3. just from past experiences importing stuff from the u.s.
whats the value of the cars your looking at in s bud?

EVERYWHERE
Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
t-ruckerj

Yeah ok ,lol I was thanking ferngreen (fern) my name is jamie sorry for the confussion .

I would look around 15000 uk money depending on spec etc, they cost that over here really but mostly standard @6k but would like a turbo'd m3 e46 .
Other than that e30 m3, just going to wait and see what's out there no rush.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #12
sabreuk

hiya JAMIE lol got some info for ya. ive spoken to one of the companys i know of and there based in kingston upon hull and ship to southhampton.
there name is kingstown international shipping and there phone number is 01482 374116 ask for either mark or alan.

they have said you have 2 options either ship by container which is the more expensive or ship by whats called roll on roll off which is the car as it is on the ship.

right if your going for roro option there is a flat rate of 950 for the shipping, then you have %20 vat on top of that and insurance which is optional also there is a %10 import duty to be paid on the cost of the vehicle.

also if you can prove its an eu car and can get a letter of origin from bmw stating it was made in the eu you wont have the %10 import tax but a 50 charge. the letter has to come from bmw though if thats what your importing. if it turns out the car was made in the u.s then the %10 import charge stands.

next option is container shipping.

the cost of shipping depends where you buy the car from the examples i was given was:

from l.a area will cost 1500-1600
from the gulf area 1350
nyc 1250
and chicargo area 1800

thsts the cost of putting the car in the container and shipping it. on top of that you have the standard %20vat and %10 import duty and insurance again but optional recommended aparantly

so container shipping is more expensive.

other things to consider is if you buy the car from inland u.s like nebraska which i was given as an example you have to get the car to the shipping company or there depot before they will ship it they wont pick it up for you so you have a charge there for fuel and some one to take it to the depot for you unless you go your self. then theres transport costs via truck if get a company to pick it up for you etc so try buy one near the shipping area to save cost on that.

ill have a phone of the other company i know and see what there quoting and ill get back to you bud.
hope that helps a little bit. i didnt bother emailing you as i thought it might be good for everyone to see the costs etc on here if they were thinking the same as you.

craig

EVERYWHERE
Old 09-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
t-ruckerj

Craig your a superstar and thank you very much for your hard work on getting that info.

That helps out alot I will be interested oneday as its one of those dreams to get an m3 from the us .
Old 09-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
sabreuk

no probs bud anytime still gota ring the other company yet had a bit of a busy day so far

anyway why do you want am m3 from the u.s whats wrong with the uk ones out of curiosity?

EVERYWHERE
Old 09-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #15
Brem46

My Ride: Needs Moddin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ruckerj View Post
Tried emailing a couple shipping company's yesterday haven't heard as yet!. But as there seems to be some very nice looking m3's over in the states I thought some people may have experienced this.

I did import a skyline from Japan to the uk once. And I think it did cost 1500 gbp .
why the **** would you ship a ****ing M3 from the States to the UK? ARE YOU MORONIC! you can pick up a decent E36 for 4k and an E46 for 8k and do the modifications yourself for less than what it would cost to source, buy and ship one from the states?

due to emissions laws etc in the states, they tend to be slower and a bit down on HP compared to the euro ones?

stick to your *** riceout or your audi tourer mate you dont need an M3.
Brem46 is offline   Reply With Quote