E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
Question Plasti Dip Question

Has anyone shot clear over a plasti dip paint job? I know on the website it says plasti dip is not impervious to petroleum based products so I would imagine that normal everyday road use would eventually break down the coating. I also know the point of this is to have the matte look but you could always shoot matte clear. Thoughts?

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
lsteg

My Ride: 2001 330ci
What part of the car are you trying to matte?
Why would you go for the matte look and then clear it? (wouldn't clear over plastidip anyway)

..sounds like you just need to get it professionally painted.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
willsbma

I'm not trying to matte anything, I'm asking a question. YOU CAN USE MATTE CLEAR. I'm asking from a more technical standpoint. Such as: will the solvents in the clear eat the plastidip or will you be able to prolong the life by clearing over the plastidip. Why did you bother to write if you couldn't answer the question?

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
Old 09-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
lsteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsbma View Post
I'm not trying to matte anything, I'm asking a question. YOU CAN USE MATTE CLEAR. I'm asking from a more technical standpoint. Such as: will the solvents in the clear eat the plastidip or will you be able to prolong the life by clearing over the plastidip. Why did you bother to write if you couldn't answer the question?
The question you should really be asking is why on earth would you want to preserve your plastidip?

but hey, it's your funeral...good luck to you.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
If I dip my egg in chocolate does that makes it harder to crack ?
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
willsbma

whatever guys. Thanks for the informative answers. I appreciate all the maturity.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
lsteg

I think we're confused more with the "why do you want to do this" aspect of the situation.

And your welcome. I thought my first response was very mature and just asked you to simply elaborate more on your situation.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
M3Newb

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by willsbma View Post
whatever guys. Thanks for the informative answers. I appreciate all the maturity.
I plasti dipped my Caliber SRT wheels black and used a matte clear coat. Looks great and no it doesnt break down the plasti dip. Seemd to last longer than the first time i did it without the clear coat as far as chips.
M3Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Here you go

http://www.dipyourcar.com/forums/for...ommunity-Forum
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
choxor

My Ride: JDM
I plastidipped the handle of my breaker bar.

And that's as close as that crap's going to get to my car.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
use it on interior parts only. it doesn't last long outside.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
stiffler style

My Ride: 330i
I plasti dipped my "330i" emblem, the front kidney's, and every chrome piece of door trim on my car. It has not cracked, come off, or done much of anything but stick. It looks exactly as it did when I painted it almost 2 months ago.
stiffler style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:24 AM   #13
thellmann

My Ride: 1999 328i Sedan
I used plastidip on my wheels and race stripe. I did this about 2 months ago, and it is still looking great. As for the maturity of some of these members I totally agree with you. You should see how I was chastised in a 3rd grade name calling manner. As for the platidip go for it. Show us some pics.
thellmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #14
M3Newb

My Ride: E46 M3
The plastidip on my Caliber SRT4 wheels looked as good as new 1.5 years after I put it on.
M3Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #15
PH03NIX46

My Ride: '03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thellmann View Post
as for the maturity of some of these members i totally agree with you. You should see how i was chastised in a 3rd grade name calling manner.
lmao
Old 09-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
tabor

My Ride: 2000 323ci
My whole car will be dipped matte white in a week or so...I love plastidip...cheap..effective...and CHEAP!!! Whole car kits including gun for under $400. Haters will hate. I have used plasti dip for years and currently have it on my trim The fact that they also have a product to reliquify...makes touch ups cakewalk

* Want it, Need it, And gotta have it!!!*

Last edited by tabor; 09-14-2012 at 08:53 AM.
tabor is offline   Reply With Quote