E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
drift.mechanic

My Ride: E46 323i
SLR rack spacer review

Well I followed the suggestion of a few members an LS began looking at SLR custom parts. They make extreme angle lower tables, rack spacers and so on.

I'm a huge fan of extra sterling angle so I purchased the SLR rack spacers, thinking for 30$ plus 7$ shipping (the shipping is very reasonable don't get me wrong).

Ok so I sent a few emails back and forth asking about inventory and so on. Communication is extreme poor from Sean, the owner operator. But against my better judgement I placed the order. It took him 12 days to send me the tracking info after threatening to file a dispute with PayPal.

Then of course I get an immediate response saying simply "sorry I was busy".

So I'm thinking "this is great". It's not a lot of money to lose but it's the principle of dealing with these people, sub par service from e retailers with sub par parts.

So I get the spacers this afternoon. Open the pack and see they're nothing simpler than a couple of simple mild steel shims, around 3mm thick, 14mm inside bore, etc. LITERALLY THE SAME PART AS THE NISSAN 240SX USES!!! The only differences is the Nissan model is 13$ and made of brass.

I should have done my research a bit more and NOT done business with this SLR and to share this terrible experience with all of you hoping this will deter you from making the same mistake I did.
drift.mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
drift.mechanic

My Ride: E46 323i
Ok last nightIi was laying in bed and my phone we t a bit nuts, i had a look this morning and I received an email and a refund for the spacers. here's what it said. Kudos to Sean for trying to right the situation.

"Hi Phil,

I went ahead and refunded the entire price, including the shipping cost.

The spacers were custom spec'd by me to 27mm OD and I can't remember the inside diameter off the top of my head now, but it was designed to be a tight fit so the spacer remained centered and also has a chamfer to clear the chamfer on the inside corner of the tie-rod thread shank.

I would have spec'd them to be stainless steel but the machinist at the time wanted over $15 each to make them from stainless, so they are made from ASTM-656 steel, which is a very strong and expensive material. Each spacer still cost $8 each plus my time of course. Looking back, those prices are about double what I would pay our new machine shop, but we still operate in N. America, not China, so I doubt I could ever afford to sell them for $13.

You could check with a magnet to see if your Nissan rack spacers are actually Brass or zinc plated steel. Brass is too soft for this application in my opinion, but the zinc plated is fine. Make sure they aren't longer than 5.5mm if you want to use them on the E36 though

I realize I can't compete with companies ordering 1,000 zinc plated cheap grade steel spacers from Ningbo or Hangzhou.

I am genuinely sorry for the poor customer service you initially received, and I'm sorry you're not happy with the parts.

Sincerely,
-Sean
SeanLoveRacing LLC"

He admitted he was wrong and righted the situation with a refund and I kept the part. Not every supplier would do that. I give him credit, his email was genuine.

Just wanted to update the situation.
drift.mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote