E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
BMW Mini Van? The Concept Active Tourer

Ahead of the Paris Motor Show BMW has released the details on their latest new segment vehicle, the Concept Active Tourer. The Active Tourer is a premium compact vehicle with the hybrid drive system out of the concept i8 meant for urban living. BMW will bring this to market under the 1 series line, perhaps as the 1 Series Active Tourer.

Despite BMW's sincerest efforts to make it look something like a X1 I can't get away from the minivan feeling it gives off. Take a look at the complete BMW Concept Active Tourer gallery and post your thoughts on the styling.

Quote:
The new BMW Concept Active Tourer combines compact dimensions and an attractive, sporty design with hallmark BMW quality. With an exterior length of 171 inches, a width of 72 inches and a total height of 61 inches, the BMW Concept Active Tourer is geared towards customers of the premium segment who appreciate a high level of comfort, a raised seating position and a generous amount of space.

The BMW Concept Active Tourer will also be attractive to families who attach importance to functionality and versatility as well as lifestyle and athletic flair. A long wheelbase of 105 inches, a high roof line and a compact transverse engine with front-wheel drive make it possible to create a generously sized interior. The spacious load compartment of the BMW Concept Active Tourer provides fully-fledged everyday suitability since the batteries of the hybrid drive are housed entirely underneath the load floor.
Read more about the BMW Concept Active Tourer

Last edited by tim330i; 09-14-2012 at 11:12 AM.
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
Bandit4077

My Ride: 330i SuperVeloce
they should NEVER make this! all reasons are apparent. obviously a very well designed machine, but it kills the idea of the brand. it's hard to think of a sporting brand that prides itself as "the ultimate driving machine as having a van-ish thing like that. look at it, breathtaking, and not in a good way. bad move BMW. takes cues from the new 3s, 5s, and 6s which are beautiful, but then it squashes them that thing is a joke!

BAD CAR!! BAD! don't get built.

i don't care though, i'll never own one... cause i've got testies.

its the feeling you get when you realized that you have put more money into mods and repairs than have on payments...
Bandit4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
I like the idea, but unless it has a third row--and perhaps a sliding door--I don't see the advantage over something like an X-1 or X-3. (Then again, I never saw the advantage of an X-1 over a wagon like the 325iT or 328iT)
If BMW could come up with something like a Mazda 5, that could be a winner.
I guess Bandit represents a popular school of thought about minivans. But the reality is that lots of guys with testes--and a wife and kids to prove it--drive minivans, which are much more efficient carriers of people and stuff than SUVs.
Let's also remember that while there's no market for this kind of car in the US--Ford abandoned plans to import the larger version of the C-Max--cars like this do sell in Europe where space and gas are at a premium.
avincent52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
TechieTechie

My Ride: 05 M3,04 z4, 01 325t
You can buy this piece of crap, but not an 130xi (or X1 or 330) diesel hatchback with manual tranmission (direct competition to Audi's A3)? I know that BWM is targeting the yuppie family demographic in the US ('cause that's where the $$$ is for new cars), but it is as sad day for us who really drive their ultimate driving machines....

....says the midlife gal who wants something to haul her bikes, skiis, and home depot goodies....and still take it to autoX the next day....

Last edited by TechieTechie; 09-16-2012 at 12:09 PM.
TechieTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Nick_M3

My Ride: 2005 325ci
All other obvious reasons aside. From a business standpoint, what demographic would this appeal to that wouldn't just buy an BMW suv. Definitely not a large enough market to make research and development worth it.
Nick_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_M3 View Post
All other obvious reasons aside. From a business standpoint, what demographic would this appeal to that wouldn't just buy an BMW suv. Definitely not a large enough market to make research and development worth it.
Are they saying this is coming to the U.S?
In Europe they don't do SUVs, and do buy efficiently packaged cars like this.

Unless there's a price break, I don't see where there's an advantage compared to an X-1 or three series touring (which oughta see a manual in the U.S, Techie, but don't hold your breath.)
avincent52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
TechieTechie

My Ride: 05 M3,04 z4, 01 325t
Quote:
Originally Posted by avincent52 View Post
(which oughta see a manual in the U.S, Techie, but don't hold your breath.)
Precisely why I bought an e46 touring with a manual trans & sports package earlier this year I'm just concerned what I will buy when this thing eventually dies (hopefully not for another 5 years or so)....
Old 10-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
Iron99

My Ride: E90 325i, F30 328i
BMW please do not make this... But if you do u have to make this rear wheel drive and one of the best vans ever!.. But aside from that, DON'T MAKE THIS VAN!!!
Iron99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
LoveBeingUseless

My Ride: 2003 325i Sedan
Its a great idea. It will sell and it will start at low price points. It will definitly intrude on the markets of these kinds of vehicles and it will take people from other car makers no doubt.

For more updates, Follow me on Instagram! @LoveBeingUseless
LoveBeingUseless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
Nick_M3

My Ride: 2005 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingUseless View Post
Its a great idea. It will sell and it will start at low price points. It will definitly intrude on the markets of these kinds of vehicles and it will take people from other car makers no doubt.
If soccer moms want a BMW they can buy an x5 or similar. No minivan would ever be an ultimate driving machine they are one of the ugliest style cars ever produced with less practicality than most SUVs produced. A concept that I sincerely hope never sees the light of day.
Nick_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 series, 1 series active tourer, 1.5 liter turbo, active tourer, bmw, bmw 3 cylinder, bmw forum, bmw i8, bmw news, concept active tourer, edrive, hybrid electric vehicle, i8 drivetrain, paris motor show, twinpower