E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
Downward mobility: from 325it to Mazda MPV

Appreciate the help you guys gave me in settling the insurance claim on my late, lamented 325it (Alpine white wagon/tan leather, sports package, 5 speed, 65,000 trouble free miles)
The good news is that the insurance company ponied up and we got a respectable settlement.
The bad news (for me): I decided that my wife, who's a hard-working and preposterously overqualified high school science teacher, needs a new(er) car more than I do.
So we test drove a wild variety of cars, from a Ford Flex to a Golf GTI, and we settled on a 2007 CPO Acura TSX with 40,000 miles. It's not quite a BMW, but it's pretty close, and should remain trouble-free for years.

Me? I end up with my wife's 2001 Mazda MPV. Since I've been driving it, two guys stopped me and offered me a good price for fixing the dent on the passenger side door. It's hideous, but it's paid for. Let's just hope we can get it through NJ emissions inspection.
avincent52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Nice pickup on the TSX.
And it is better to drive a car that's paid off even if it isn't your ideal vehicle. Maybe you can check into what kind of even swap you could pull off for something more desirable to you. Just a thought.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Mazda MPV: takes the "zoom zoom" out of "zoom zoom". Man, I can't think of how someone could fall much further from an E46. Sorry for your situation, but you definitely have a good car in the TSX.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
avincent52

Realistically, the MPV has almost no value--maybe two grand. And we've got kids so it kinda makes sense for crew and softball carpools.
How long we keep it around depends on it passing inspection and avoiding expensive repairs. Obviously a windfall of money could work from the other side of the equation.
FWIW, the MPV isn't bad for a minivan--much better handling than a Honda, Toyota or Chrysler. The Mazda 5 is the only thing that's substantially better in that regard, and it's only a six seater, one more seat than the TSX (or an e46 for that matter.)

And that said, I'm only complaining a little. I really really loved my car. But I love my wife lots more, and this is the kind of thing you have to do sometimes when you're married.
I don't love the minivan but I'm in it 15 minutes a day, and we'll get something better when it needs to be replaced...like another e46 wagon?

As as aside, the Acura MDX was really nice for a car of that size. It drove like a big wagon. And I'm totally shocked at how many of them I see on the streets now that I'm looking for them.
I guess that even at $45K they're a huge seller for Acura. And you could do a lot worse than a used one at around $20k.

Last edited by avincent52; 09-15-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
If it meets your needs and is reliable and paid for, no reason to trade it in. No sense dropping 10's of thousands until the thing is just a money pit.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
914kid

My Ride: many
Nice job on getting the TSX. It drives decent, gets great MPG and the 1G still looks good to this day.

On another note I understand your pain. I got rid of my E60 earlier this year, I have been missing it greatly. A few months ago I was saying I would keep the car forever as the N52 is a great engine that will no longer be produced but I ended up trading it in anyway. I really do miss that car lol.

Hope you find a better car later on. The MDX is a great truck, its only one of the few new Acuras that doesn't look like ass. Check out the X5 as well .

GL
Old 09-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #7
avincent52

The TSX is a nice car, lots of sensible bells and whistles standard (memory seats, Bluetooth, xenons) and it made a lot more sense than something like a medium-high mileage e46.
I don't really mind putting some money into a car I really enjoy, but that kind of stuff drives my wife crazy, and our last Acura was so ridiculously reliable (it was 17 years old when we traded it and the only thing that didn't work on it was the AC compressor) that I expect this one will be gas/oil and the periodic "tuneup."

As for the MDX, I'm really hoping we can get along with a 5 passenger vehicle, which leaves an e46 or even e91 wagon as an option down the road. It was really just about perfect for two adults, two big kids and a dog.

The sad part about my e46 is that I was really intending to keep it for 17 years like that Acura, but (another) minivan cut short its life expectancy. RIP Alpine White wagon.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
pwr2panda

My Ride: Prefacelift E46 4dr
Why not a TL?
pwr2panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
You're a good Dad.

Kudos for taking the hit.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
avincent52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr2panda View Post
Why not a TL?
Because a comparable TL would be like five grand more, and the money above and beyond the insurance payout is money that I can bank in anticipation of my next car.

That said, it is my wife's car and she did make the decision after driving all kinds of things of all sizes and price levels, from a VW Jetta TDI to a Focus to the MDX. I like the car, but if it were mine I would have found a 6-speed.
But I drive it for half an hour a week, so I don't care, as long as she's happy.

My son will be learning to drive next year, and he'll do at least some of his learning on this car. I like the TSXs safety ratings and balance of "chassis" to "engine." The only thing the car mags bitched about is the fact that the TSX handled great, but was underpowered. Which is fine with any concerned father.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #11
914kid

My Ride: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by avincent52 View Post
Because a comparable TL would be like five grand more, and the money above and beyond the insurance payout is money that I can bank in anticipation of my next car.

That said, it is my wife's car and she did make the decision after driving all kinds of things of all sizes and price levels, from a VW Jetta TDI to a Focus to the MDX. I like the car, but if it were mine I would have found a 6-speed.
But I drive it for half an hour a week, so I don't care, as long as she's happy.

My son will be learning to drive next year, and he'll do at least some of his learning on this car. I like the TSXs safety ratings and balance of "chassis" to "engine." The only thing the car mags bitched about is the fact that the TSX handled great, but was underpowered. Which is fine with any concerned father.
The TL gets 15-18 MPG in the city. You will be glad you got the TSX.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
Recon2005

My Ride: VF-E 328Ci & 325 E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair View Post
you're a good dad.

Kudos for taking the hit.
qft

Vortech // Magnaflow // Hotchkis // H&R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
Could not agree more. I enjoyed my vf kit to the day I took it off. VF best s/c out there. Period
Recon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:01 AM   #13
Goughie

My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
After my 2000 330d was totaled by my neighbour earlier this year, I bought a 2003 330d Tourer. Love it, hate the payments - even though I'm paying less than 300 a month for two years only. Didn't have the cash at the time of the write off and hate having them now. A new job means I can prioritise paying off my credit card balance and car loan quickly and should be all clear by the end of the year.

Having a debt free car (and life) makes life so much less stressful and you can concentrate on the important things in life.

Good job on the pick up and the no payment option you chose!

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Goughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:58 AM   #14
avincent52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goughie View Post
After my 2000 330d was totaled by my neighbour earlier this year, I bought a 2003 330d Tourer. Love it, hate the payments - even though I'm paying less than 300 a month for two years only. Didn't have the cash at the time of the write off and hate having them now. A new job means I can prioritise paying off my credit card balance and car loan quickly and should be all clear by the end of the year.

Having a debt free car (and life) makes life so much less stressful and you can concentrate on the important things in life.

Good job on the pick up and the no payment option you chose!
It's funny, money is so cheap in the U.S. right now that it's almost shocking.
The dealership gave us a crazy cheap loan rate--less than 1.5 percent--after we had already negotiated a bottom line price.

So we financed part of the car even though we have the cash in the bank.

It helps our credit rating, and gives us a little bit of "loan to ourselves and pay it back" flexibility. Of course, that only works if you have the discipline to not use the money for anything but car payments or an emergency.