E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
dylan323i

My Ride: '00 323i
2000 323i wiring help for subs

Just have a few question on how to wire my sub and amp in my 323i, i want to through an amp and sub in my trunk but my main concern is how do i get the rca's from the trunk to the deck. Btw i have an aftermarket deck so plugging it in won't be a problem i just am not sure were the "exit" to the trunk is and where i can hide the wires and how do i get it behind the deck. I couldn't find any DIY's with detailed info on google so any info pic's or diagrams are very appreciated.

Last edited by dylan323i; 09-13-2012 at 01:39 AM.
dylan323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
jayone

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
I just did this last week on the same exact car. It's so easy that it shouldn't take you more than 15-20 minutes. Do not remove any of the interior panels except for the one underneath the steering wheel.
Step 1: Get a wire hanger or something to feed your RCAs from the radio down underneath the steering wheel.
Step 2:Once your RCAs make it down there the hard part is over. Run them down behind the dead pedal. Don't remove the panel just tuck with your hands.
Step 3: Run the RCAs down the side of the vehicle, just keep tucking the whole way, don't remove any panels.
Step 4: When you get to the rear seat, you have to take it out. The bottom part lifts up then out. The top part snaps off easily. Behind the top part on the drivers side you'll see a rubber grommet with wires going through it. Feed your RCAs through there, put your seat back together and your done.
jayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
dylan323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayone View Post
I just did this last week on the same exact car. It's so easy that it shouldn't take you more than 15-20 minutes. Do not remove any of the interior panels except for the one underneath the steering wheel.
Step 1: Get a wire hanger or something to feed your RCAs from the radio down underneath the steering wheel.
Step 2:Once your RCAs make it down there the hard part is over. Run them down behind the dead pedal. Don't remove the panel just tuck with your hands.
Step 3: Run the RCAs down the side of the vehicle, just keep tucking the whole way, don't remove any panels.
Step 4: When you get to the rear seat, you have to take it out. The bottom part lifts up then out. The top part snaps off easily. Behind the top part on the drivers side you'll see a rubber grommet with wires going through it. Feed your RCAs through there, put your seat back together and your done.
Thank you i would have never thought to go through the steering wheel now the only problem I'm having is getting the **** to work lol as of the moment im tapping my rear left speaker in the window so basically everything is in the trunk but for some reason the sub wasn't working figured out i didn't tap the REM wire well i tapped it from the factory amp the low and behold its working (kinda) (its really quite at this point) so i rip out the the line in converter to adjust the settings but it back in and yet again the sub isn't working amp is still powering on with the car but the damn sub isn't doing anything
Old 09-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
jayone

I wouldn't tap into anything back there. A lot of people make the the mistake of tapping into the wires at the speakers when your supposed to tap in before they hit the Factory amp. You want the signal from the radio, not the factory amp.
Just run the RCAs with a remote from the deck to back like I explained. Don't cut any of the factory wires in the back, there's no need to.

Last edited by jayone; 09-13-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
dylan323i

Quote:
I wouldn't tap into anything back there. A lot of people make the the mistake of tapping into the wires at the speakers when your supposed to tap in before they hit the Factory amp. You want the signal from the radio, not the factory amp.
Just run the RCAs with a remote from the deck to back like I explained. Don't cut any of the factory wires in the back, there's no need to.
Ok i'll patch those wires up first thing in the morning, thank you so much for the help and speedy responses but i have a few more questions, what do you mean behind the dead pedal? like right behind it or behind a panel or under the carpet? also is the rem wire needed and if so should i also take that off of the amp and tap into the deck? also do you know how to remove the lower part of the steering wheel or know of a pic or is it just really simple? again thank you so much for the help

Last edited by dylan323i; 09-13-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
benzovs

My Ride: 2000 323i
Not sure what he means when he says "dead panel". I personally remove all the rocker panels when running rca wires, but it is not necessary. You can definitely run the wires by just tucking them underneath panels. But you do need the remote wire so that the amp turns on and off when your radio turns on and off. If you have an aftermarket deck, it will have a remote turn on output, (unless it is a $30 POS) it will be blue or blue with white stripe. So yes, remove it from the factory amp turn on wire, and hook it up to your aftermarket deck remote wire.
benzovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #7
dylan323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzovs View Post
Not sure what he means when he says "dead panel". I personally remove all the rocker panels when running rca wires, but it is not necessary. You can definitely run the wires by just tucking them underneath panels. But you do need the remote wire so that the amp turns on and off when your radio turns on and off. If you have an aftermarket deck, it will have a remote turn on output, (unless it is a $30 POS) it will be blue or blue with white stripe. So yes, remove it from the factory amp turn on wire, and hook it up to your aftermarket deck remote wire.
Ty, and he said dead pedal that got me to lol i googled it found nothing reread googled made sense its apparently what they call our pedal's
Old 09-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #8
jayone

The dead pedal is that hard piece of plastic that looks like a pedal on the floor of the drivers side. It is commonly referred to as the dead pedal but it might only be in automatic cars, not sure. Anyway, if your using an aftermarket radio, run the remote wire with the RCA'S. Just tuck behind the dead pedal and tuck underneath the trim on the side. There's always a chance that trim or clips can break when being removed but it's not necessary in this case. Even the guys at BSW do it that way.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #9
jayone

I forgot to say that you don't need to go under the carpet either, just behind the dead pedal and underneath the side trim. And the trim piece underneath the steering wheel is really easy to get off. There's maybe 2-3 screws and then it snaps off gently. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:29 AM   #10
dylan323i

Quote:
I forgot to say that you don't need to go under the carpet either, just behind the dead pedal and underneath the side trim. And the trim piece underneath the steering wheel is really easy to get off. There's maybe 2-3 screws and then it snaps off gently. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.
no worries i got it pretty easy once i went out to my car didn't even have to take the panel blow the steering wheel off all of the way, as you said though once i knew what i was doing its was like clock work thanks so much for the tip the sub is hitting right were it should and to the blind eye one wouldn't be the wiser to the fact that i have a sub. The sub, box and amp im running atm is really **** though hope to upgrade to 2 15" next month but at least the hard part is out of the way just gotta redo the 8 gauge with 4 gauge and another battery
Old 09-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
jayone

I'm glad everything worked out for you. Good luck trying to squeeze 2-15's in that trunk. A custom made a box for 1 Rockford Fosgate t1-12 and it didnt fit in the trunk. I built another one but I had to change the specs of the enclosure. I don't like the way it sounds. I think I'm gonna go with two tens, maybe two twelves.