E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
spyder

My Ride: S54 Sedan, IB 328i
Send a message via AIM to spyder
Help with S54 swap exhaust issue

I did the S54 swap in my sedan and I'm trying to figure out the best solution to making a exhaust system work with my M3 rear bumper. As most of you know M3's do not have a spare tire wheel well where as non M's do. Right now I have pipes running around the spare tire well but no muffler at all so it's annoyingly loud.

The spare tire well is in the way so I cant put a OEM or aftermarket M3 muffler on. I found this picture of one idea but do you guys think that 90 degree angle curve of the piping will restrict air flow making the car loose performance? I don't really want to cut out the wheel well and risk weakening the frame structure of the car. I'm open to any advice/suggestions.

spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
What parts and pipes make up the exhaust system on the rest of the car? Oem s54 cats,non m resonator or x pipe? Or is it all M exhaust and you are just having trouble with the muffler?
You can replace the X style resonator with a muffler,put two individual resonator between the headers and the new muffler,and then use the photo you posted to fab that style tail pipe.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 09-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoBrian View Post
What parts and pipes make up the exhaust system on the rest of the car? Oem s54 cats,non m resonator or x pipe? Or is it all M exhaust and you are just having trouble with the muffler?
You can replace the X style resonator with a muffler,put two individual resonator between the headers and the new muffler,and then use the photo you posted to fab that style tail pipe.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
It's all M but i have no room to put a M3 muffler so it's extremely loud. What kind of muffler do you guys recommend? I know it's going to be louder than a non M no matter what I do but my main goal is to minimize the cabin drone as much as possible.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
spyder

Here is what my setup looks like right now.

http://imageshack.us/g/1/9762420/

Last edited by spyder; 09-16-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
ICONIKE46

My Ride: Horse & Buggy
To be honest with you, I don't think you'll have a choice on this one. As you already know, you wouldn't be able to fit an OEM M3 muffler because the spare tire wheel well is in the way and all aftermarket M3 mufflers are built around the OEM m3 exhaust/fitment so even if you went with an aftermarket one, it still wouldn't fit unless you cut out the spare wheel well. The only thing you could do is fill the mid sections with resonators but even THEN it still might be too loud for your liking. As per you losing performance with the 90 degree angle statement, essentially you SHOULD lose a bit of performance because the airflow is changing path at such an extreme angle instead of free flowing all the way out the back of the car. Would it be noticeable? I have no idea, more than likely not though. Hope I helped a little bit.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
Beamer Creamer

My Ride: 2005 bmw m3
Ya. I dont like the looks of that 90degree .basically defeating the whole purpose of your exhaust unless it was a 3 inch pipe at bend or something. I still cant see why you cant use a stock muffler mount? How are pipes run differently right before spare well?
Beamer Creamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:48 AM   #7
spyder

update:

So I purchased 2 Magnaflow 10416 mufflers to put on both sides of my spare tire well. After thinking things over and talking to the exhaust shop I figured this will not give me the results i'm looking for. Still would be overly loud and annoying because these mufflers aren't really true mufflers...more like bigger resonators.

So I ordered this catback system from Umnitza:

http://www.umnitza.com/e46-3series-q...ust-p-190.html

This was made for non M E46's with M3 rear bumper but should work with my car.

Last edited by spyder; 10-05-2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
wshgrntd

My Ride: 2007 335i m-sport
Did it work? Did you have to widen the rear fender to get the bumper to fit?
wshgrntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
how about chopping the spare tire compartment so you can fit a complete M3 muffler system like the Rogue? I don't think it would significantly weaken the unibody structure as long as you welded in a plate to take up that space...

Last edited by JohnBlaze; 10-17-2012 at 03:31 PM.
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
wshgrntd

My Ride: 2007 335i m-sport
Did the Umnitza work?
wshgrntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
OR you could run a stock style exhaust.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:50 AM   #12
spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshgrntd View Post
Did the Umnitza work?
Yeah umnitza exhaust bolted right up and works great.