E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #21
scott0482

My Ride: 2001 530i
Send a message via AIM to scott0482
Closest one to me is an hour away.
Who counts all of the birds? Seriously, How can you accurately count 529 Broad-Winged Hawks over 8 hours and not miss some or count them twice?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:07 AM   #22
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Seriously, there are a lot of watchers that count as accurately as they can.

Of course it's not 100%, but it's done with quite a bit of scientific rigor. After the large groups of hawks in the kettles rise, they 'peel off' and glide over to the next thermal. When they peel off at the top of one thermal, they 'stream' over...and it's in the stream that we count. Might be in one's or two's...sometimes five's.

On the 'counting twice': we see them head south. Once they've left our ridge and move onward, they count. If we see one locally, or say, dive back over the ridge, we'll wait for it to come out again before we count it.

Over a day, counting 529 accurately is easy...it's the counting 3-5,000 birds that gets tiring!

Anyway, this is the week for the broadwinged. Although the migration will continue, expect the greatest numbers anywhere this week where the weather is decent and the winds are northerly. If the winds are northerly after a storm coming down from the north, all the better.

Let me know if you get out to see this...for some reason, I find it very interesting!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #23
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
saw 2 bald eagles in newburgh today, they just kept circling and went higher and higher , then just turned and headed sw, the were up there man

was cool to watch, and they never flapped their wings

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #24
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Wasp...try to get out Wednesday or Thursday this week...after this cold front drops down, they'll be a good flight the day or two after.

Even if it's after work around 5 or so, you'll still have birds going...and they tend to be lower later in the day.

We'll see birds up easily 5,000 ft. up...it amazes me that they don't look down and get the **** scared out of them!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote