E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2015, 06:48 PM   #1
ajsabido

Aftermarket headunit connected into my fuse box

Problems:

1-2002 325ci e46

2-pioneer single din headunit.

Im here for #2 today. I had this headunit installed recently. The car didnt have one to begin with so im not quite sure what the music sounded like prior. Anyways, when and only when i raise the volume above 11-13, the music cuts off and comes back for a short second then cuts out again.

I started to dismantle the car to take a look behind the head unit to check for loose connection and i noticed that two wires coming from the radio where shoved in with the fuse at locations 41 and 25 on the fuse panel.

The man doing the install told me he had to bypass the stock amplifier to play better door speakers. The car had stock speakers which where already shot out. Since the day he did the install it has not been able to go above 11 on the head unit volume knob. I brushed it off thinking it was the speakers causing the problem but after my install of new kicker door speakers i still get the same problem.

Question, why are the cables sucking at my fuse box, and could this be a reason for the speakers cutting out.

I just wanted some input before i continue to take out the head unit.
ajsabido is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #2
ajsabido

Sorry for the little joke at the beginning lol i am new with my e46.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #3
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Was the wiring harness behind the deck all hacked into place? sounds like he tapped the fuse box for power and switched, but does make me wonder if he in fact wired direct to any speakers at all, or if not. Do all your speakers work otherwise?
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
ajsabido

Orange wires connected to the red and yellow are coming from the fuses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1420507539721.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	585936   Click image for larger version

Name:	1420507772571.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	585937  
Old 01-07-2015, 09:04 AM   #5
ajsabido

he is still running off the factory amp. How can i bypass the factory amp to be able to use headunit? I am only running front speakers at the moment. And cant get it to stop cutting out on me. I think the amp is bad
Old 01-07-2015, 09:21 AM   #6
ajsabido

Also that black box connecting the hu to the factory harness is full of loose conenctions.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:00 AM   #7
Christian@Enfig

My Ride: 2003 24V VR6 GLI
That needs some professinal help. You arent near NNJ by any chance?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1014793
Christian@Enfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:26 PM   #8
ajsabido

i got it figured out for the most part. Im going to be running new speaker wires to connect directly to my headunit. Im in south florida.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:02 PM   #9
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Pretty much at that point, it's the easiest option. Keep in mind, that while it should work ok, the impedence on your factory speakers aren't going to match the head unit, so while you've got the panels off replacing the wiring directly, might be a good time to put some new speakers in as well, to get the most out of your head unit.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #10
ajsabido

I installed kicker speakers the other week thinking the wires where already ran like the man said. Il be installing the rears and running new wires this weekend. Should come out decent. The front was tricky, had to make an adapter plate out of some 1/4 in wood to mount the kickers.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #11
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 AW 325ci
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Yea the E46 has a weird stereo arrangement. All the speakers and amp are set up for 3 ohm, while everything in the market runs on 2 and 4 for the most part. I've seen people on here switch to 4 ohm speakers to varying degrees of success, but your best bet is to wire in a whole new amp to drive all of the speakers if you want the best sound quality. Let us know how yours comes out with your method.